1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The value of going with a vanilla Defence in the Preseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 10, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article186134.ece

Decent enough article on Sparano's conference call with the Buffalo media and the Bills problems decoding the Dolphins Defense based on having no film to go on.

2. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I'm excited, but I get the feeling Nolan is going to hold back some in the first half unless Buffalo starts to make progress. While this is a division rival, I'd hate to see us let all the cats out of the bag

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Coordinator Day featuring Mike Nolan:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt8RohDtjvs"]YouTube - Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan[/ame]

4. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Agreed!

I was there last year (like I will be Sunday) and that crowd was dead until Ricky threw that pick. It awakened them, and the Bills fed off that energy. I say, if you can crush them, crush them right from the beginning. Force Edwards to make mistakes right away, kill their spirits. Don't wait till they've put up 10-14 points and have the crowd behind them. Cause when that crowd gets going ....

5. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Buffalo's offensive gameplan going in is probably finding CB #24 presnap and throwing that way.

Our secondary better be ready because if I was an OC I wouldn't even be worrying about the run based on what we've seen.

I agree though that not tipping your hand at all on Defense with schemes is the way to go in preseason.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think its ridiculous to suggest that Buffalo's game plan will center on attacking a CB who is not slated to start. My guess is that their game plan will focus on stretching the D horizontally with quick passes and trying to run on the edges. This is based on the fact that we've been susceptible to quick slants and suspect at setting the edge during the preseason while Buffalo has run well on the edges and Gailey has always used an offense that stretches you horizontally and attacks with short passes.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    IMO Buffalo knows that we will bring heat in different ways and they will try to counter an aggressive defense with moving the ball laterally. Quick passes, screens, anything that gets us going laterally instead of downhill.

8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Which is dangerous considering Spiller will be on the receiving end.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed but I think we should be ok defending it. Our cornerbacks can tackle, they can block destruct well enough, our ILB's can actually move laterally this year IMO and our defensive line has shown they can make plays on their feet.

10. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    We've never been good at defending the screen, everytime I see one I get scared.

11. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We should be better at that this year. Like Alen said, our DB's tackle pretty well, and I think Dansby helps us in this area as well.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, and draws seem to kill us as well.

However this yr the Speed on Defense is totally different, I'd wager this D is as fast as Jimmie Johnson or Wanny's was back in the day, in fact it may be faster as there are no slow Lb's this year.

What stuffs those plays in recognition and speed to the edge, and of course good tackling..