1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft Countdown 1st 2011 mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Sep 4, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Surprised to see Ponder not in the 1st rd and Herzlich slotted so low. Peterson from LSU might be the safest, best pick of all. Locker and Luck are studs nonetheless. #13 might be low for Baldwin. I like the player slotted to us, Kyle Rudolph from Notre Dame. Total package. But I'd keep an eye out for the other Notre Dame TE- Mike Ragone. 20 lbs lighter but serious wheels on that dude. And as that board is stacked, I think that you look hard at RB Ingram and NT Austin from UNC. OT Gabe Carimi from Wisconsin is pretty darned good, too. But it would be hard to pass on Herzlich at #18- him slipping to #28 would be highway robbery for Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So they think we just miss the playoffs? That's believable to me.

I'd love Rudolph at this point, assuming he produces like expected.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't know if Cameron Heyward goes that high. I don't know if Adrian Clayborn goes that high. Solder is RAW. Very raw. I would be surprised if he went that high. Maybe if he improves this season but last season I watched him and he had issues.

ssmiami likes this.
  4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i will be surprised if locker goes before luck. i think luck is a once every five years type of QB

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Luck will be a SO(RS) though, so who knows how likely he will be to come out.

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Yeah I know but he has him going to the browns so if Luck does come out I think he goes first

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

Carimi's overrated IMO. Herzlich has health questions so it doesn't surprise me.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Carimi looked pretty good to me but I need to see more. Austin would obviously depend on how Starks works out this year. At the end of the day they should go for the best talent available imo- within reason and depending on how our roster stacks up. I like the Notre Dame WR, too. Still not sold on Hartline.

As to Herzlich- if he's given a clean bill of health he'd be worth the risk much higher imo.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Simply my opinion, which could very well be wrong, but I think Carimi struggles with technique and strength. He does not always get his hands of his hips quick enough and I've seen him get caught lunging before. I also have seen him struggle with power quite a bit.

Marvin Austin is very talented. I think he needs to work harder every down, however. Plus these latest accusations/suspension is something to keep an eye on.

I agree on Herzlich but I think teams will be scared.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I've seen Jerrell Powe play some and liked what I saw. He's got that true Vince Wilfork type bulk, too. Given the choice between Austin and Powe- at his juncture I'd probably go with Powe.

11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

I'd rather have Daquan Bowers than Cameron Heyward. Good SOLB candidate for our defense, Misi and Francis nothwithstanding. As with all of these guys I need to see more, but Bowers seems to have all the pre-requisite speed/strength/quicks/pure athletic ability tools, plus he just seems very active and is a flat out good player. It's a running/redundant theme with me, but I need to see more. I was into Sean Lee last year in a big way, this year I'll be keeping an eye on Bowers and a few other guys like the WR from Notre Dame. Jerrell Powe, too- in case the Starks experiment doesn't work out and we'll see how Soliai does this year, hopefully well. Mike Pouncy will be worth tracking as well with Grove less than a certainty.

BTW I wouldn't mind seeing the Fins pick up Levi Brown for the practice squad.

12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    While TE is important I don't want to use a first rounder on one. I'd rather spend it on offensive linemen if they play really terrible or a QB if the Linemen play good and Henne plays horribly.

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I kind of share the TE sentiment, but after seeing us get lit up by opposing TE's for big gains last year it would be good for us to have a guy on our side doing that. Fasano had an off year last year, but I still like him. The ND TE sure seems to fit the bill, but if he and Ingram from Alabama are both on the board... tough to pass on the blue chip core position players.

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm not a fan of players who were academically ineligible for 3 years. (at least not in the 1st round)

15. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Carimi may be someone who is a right tackle on the next level.

16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Gates went undrafted.

Visanthe Shiancoe was drafted in the 3rd round.

Owen Daniels was drafted in the 4th round.

Brent Celek was drafted in round 5.

My point is we can get a productive TE later in the draft. I rather we sure up our Oline.

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    To be devil's advocate, the list of quality guards and centers taken in the middle of the draft is quite long; however, TEs taken in the top 45 picks have had a very high success rate compared to other positions.

dolfan22 likes this.
  18. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    This is actually very true also. Depends on the player to be honest.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    completely agree with you there my friend. Not being devil's advocate though, I'd have a difficult time passing on a dominant 1st round C in hopes that another one would be available later (that is- if C becomes a priority). I'd also highly consider a future RT who can temporarily dominate at G.

But I wouldn't reach for the tackle/guard if someone of extreme value is on the board. I would however slightly reach for a C if it was a priority. (but that's just me)

20. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The only person I can really comment on here is Rahim Moore, S, UCLA. I've been watching him out here (on TV and at the games) and I gotta say the kid has a nose for the football. I expect him to be one of only 2 bright spots on our defense this year. As long as he backs up last season with another solid season this year, I wouldn't mind looking at him as a young safety (this mainly if the likes of Clemons, Rashad, etc. don't seem to be panning our this year)

The other bright spot I mention is Akeem Ayers, who would in my eyes make a fantastic OLB. I think some draftniks have him graded out as a 2nd to 3rd round pick right now, but this guy just makes plays. TFLs, Sacks, a ton of fumble recoverys, and if you need proof of his quick thinking, check this out:

YouTube- Amazing In-Endzone Pick Six UCLA Interecption

freaking stadium went nuts. He makes heads-up plays like this every game.

so yes, I'm no scout, and I'm certainly a UCLA homer, but these 2 guys I very much like and hope we give them a fairly hard look in the draft next year

ssmiami likes this.
  21. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I saw a good LB play for Marshall last night against WVU- Mario Harvey #30. Playmaker with a nose for the ball, stout at the point, sheds well and attacks. Might be a guy to keep an eye on, especially with Crowder now hurt and seemingly always in question. Dobbins has promise and I like him, but this guy Harvey could be a thumper to pair with Dansby. Micah Johnson is a thumper, but I don't think that he moves like Harvey and his lack of speed is a big issue. Just a guy to keep an eye on. One downside- Harvey is listed at 6'0- I wonder what that will really translate to at the combine.

http://herdzone.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harvey_mario00.html

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I watched him as well. Small guy. I could see a team like Tennessee taking him as a UDFA. They like those guys; small who can fly around. I don't see him in Miami.

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Time to start thinking CB if the right one is their.

24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Good points, but from what I saw the guy could just play ball. It's only a first impression, but Harvey just seemed to fill gaps, penetrate and make plays. Good use of hands from what I saw, and just a nose for the ball- a playmaker, moving forward and making things happen. If he's a legit 6-0 250 I don't think that he goes undrafted- no idea of his 40 time but his movement looked good to me.

He just looks like a player- Sean Lee was the same to me last year but to a greater extent. Arrelious Benn looked like a player to me as well but for very different reasons- pro body, pro speed, tough, good but not great hands. He just had the look to me, but as always I could be very wrong about him. One of you guys made a very good call last year- WR Mike Williams of Syracuse-dude has the look. He was what, a 4th rd pick? Compare the tape of him and Pat Turner- no comparison. I tried to geek myself up on Turner after he was drafted but one thing was clear- if a WR has problems creating separation in college it's probably not going to get better for him in the pros. Even with the baggage I think that he was a great 4th rd pick. One heck of a draft for the Bucs imo. Stud DT, quality talent DT 2nd rd, Benn and Williams. Imo the Rams should have taken Benn at the top of the 2nd.

BTW one of you guys has Penn State connections if I recall correctly. Curious as to Stefan Wisniewski. We'll see how Joe Berger does, but imo the Steelers made the right move with Pouncy, the Jets made the right move with Mangold, and the Browns made the right move with Mack. I liked Pouncy in college, but word is already he has shown signs of being a stud in the pros. Centers are undervalued in my opinion- vital to neutralizing the stud 3-4 NTs but many seem to think that even the very good ones aren't worthy of a 1st rd pick. Not in my book. Anyway, I'm guessing that Stefan is the son of Leo Wisniewsi- dude was a stud in college and the pros. A side issue, but I'll be trying to watch his son this year, interested in any feedback or inside info.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I understand what you are saying brother, I don't necessarily disagree with you that he's a football player. He's just small and I think he's protected up front. Question is, how much different is the guy than H.B. Blades was coming out? Probably not much IMO. HB was a sixth rounder and is a STer IIRC.

26. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I understand what you're saying, but he looked stout at the LOS to me. My first time seeing him, so every thought that I have is preliminary. If he's a true 6-0 250 that's not too bad a size to me. For example Misi is 6-2 5/8- a little small for our sytem at OLB but I think that he's big enough, just not ideal size.

27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hey, thanks for remembering, Jim! :D

28. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Props to you, but my best recollection is that it was Boomer who was pimping him the earliest. If I heard correctly Williams is already a starter for the Bucs and I have a feeling that he'll contribute significantly this year.

29. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Saw a bit of the FSU-Oklahoma game. Ponder had a bad game but nonetheless when I see him he looks like a prototypical NFL QB to me. Good size, mobility, very good arm, and it strikes me that he has a good head on his shoulders. He can gun it with accuracy and lay off the heat and use touch when appropriate. Even when he misfires I still like the guy- imo he has the "it" factor. Deep pass up the gut to the fullback- pass was dropped- a bit high but he layed off the juice and threw a good ball that should have been caught. Imo he'll make a team very happy if he lasts until the late 1st or early 2nd round. He looks like a player to me.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He has dyslexia. Great guy though and works his *** off.

ToddsPhins likes this.