1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crowder scenario similar to Roth scenario?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I actually debated if I should post this, but anyone getting a sense of deja vu?

Mystery injury with no return time, no comments, no nothing.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Personally I wanted to keep Roth and thought we screwed up by cutting him. He had a lot of potential upside. Crowder is a waste of time and isn't going to develop into anything more than what he is. Mediocre.
    If it turned out the same I wouldn't shed a tear over Crowder's departure.

gunn34 likes this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    It's kind of a well timed injury. It allows Dobbins extra practice and playing time besides Dansby.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, Crowder is certainly an enigma as a player...very frustrating because he looks really good, then gets nicked up. He looks bad for a period of time, then has a spectacular game. Gets healthy, then goes on a string of poor play. As a fan, he's very frustrating, so I can only imagine what the regime thinks of him. One thing Crowder does have going for him, is that when he's been healthy, this year, he's played better than Dobbins, Johnson or anyone else not named Dansby inside.

There was bad blood in that Roth situation before the supposed 'injury' that started the final act.... Roth, imo, had a higher opinion of his value than his play dictated. Yes, he's gone on to play decently, but think about it...he's had two good half seasons in his career, one with us, one with Cleveland...I'm not missing him...despite our lack of experience in the LBer corps.

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think Crowder is hurting and I think Dobbins has a bigger upside.

Roth wanted money, Roth has never had more than 56 tackles, and wanted big money, Crowder was just signed.

I just think Crowder maybe losing his job Willy Pip style.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I fail to see how this is in any way similar. I just don't even see the similarities to START the conversation.

DOLPHAN1, FinSane, Desides and 6 others like this.
  7. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    They are both black for one................

FinSane, Ozzy, jdang307 and 12 others like this.
  8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The Roth situation was about money. That was why there was a mystery illness/injury. I don't see the correlation here other than information hasn't been released to the fans, but that's almost par for the course with this regime. I see no indication that there is any issue between Crowder and the team.

And Crowder is easily the better all-around player compared with Dobbins.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  9. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Well, there ya go. No reason for further discussion.

I am gonna keep my mouth, and fingers, shut for the moment, and it is a very tuff thing to do.

10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    forget comparing the situations.....going for a second opinion isnt good....

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano revealed Monday that ILB Channing Crowder is pursuing a second medical opinion on an unspecified leg injury that has sidelined him for the last week of camp.

The Miami beat reporters are making a big deal of the undisclosed injury, as Crowder has been nowhere to be found since mid-August. Crowder suffered a broken foot last year. It's uncertain if this ailment is related.

http://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/22549200011

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Channing Crowder's got a pretty extensive injury history. He was hurt all last year and rehabbing something right up to the start of camp. He went into the Tampa game and proved he could play in this defense.

He's not the first or four hundredth veteran with an injury history to basically be held out of preseason games because everyone knows they're meaningless. Sparano even vowed at the very start of preseason that this year he's going to be more conscious of keeping his vets, especially the guys with injuries, healthy.

Similar to the Matt Roth situation? You mean Matt Roth who showed up, failed his conditioning test, told the coaches it was an illness, trying to cover up for a groin injury so that he could accrue another year toward free agency and still get paid full, rather than landing on Non-Football Injured Reserve? Matt Roth who never participated in a day of training camp, never played any preseason games, and sat on the NFI list for 6 games?

I just don't even see how that comparison begins.

More similar to the Will Allen thing, if anything.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Crowder is no Roth. Crowder has character & loyalty to the team. he is much & unjustly maligned by many in Dolfandom. if anything he is legitimated injured.

13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Thing is CK, yes he played with injury/ies last year, and wasnt very effective at all....I mean if the guy is hurt, hold him out and get him right...Dobbins is the man now if thats the case....

And you know he obviously was having trouble throughout the summer as well, y else trade for another ILB that early into it, when they just spent 30 milly in guarntees getting one??

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    B/c they had no depth at the position and they had the opportunity to add a player they liked that they specifically said "improved the back-end of their roster".

15. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    crowder wanted more money too. wasnt he talked into making a paycut for the home team by JT? and now look where JT is playing. maybe he isnt happy with the choice he made now. or maybe he is just hurt and healing.

16. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Not at all, i think crowder is starting week 1 vs the bills and has a solid game.

17. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2010/08/finally-matt-roth-states-his-case.html

And there you go....plain and simple Roth was a liar.

This FO will never put up with a constantly injured guy who lies to them. Not to mention he's been dealing with that groin injury through his entire career. Chances are it will flair up again during this season.

For people who wanted Grove and Smiley gone due to injuries I have no idea why they still pine for Roth who was always injured regardless if he played thru a lot of it.

18. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Dude, coffee all over my phone and out my nose. Funniest comment in weeks.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  19. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    [​IMG]

Pandarilla and unluckyluciano like this.
  20. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Well, I know I would have been happy with another year of Akin Ayodele.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Two mediocre players from a previous regime, have undisclosed injuries that take them out of all or most of TC and the preseason, while there's guys who this regime brought in that can play their spots. All the while we can't get a shred of info about what the injury is or a projected return. During all of this, we get injury info about other players. That's all.

22. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Roth lied and schemed to get a new deal and this regime was not going to put up with it.He was classless in the handling of the situation and he was shipped out.

On the other hand Crowder already has a good contract.IMO he is being saved for the regular season and they want to find out what Dobbins and the other ILBs can do.

Crowder may be injury prone and the team clown but he has always been a team player .He is not classless .

dolphindebby and ssmiami like this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We didn't really know what was going on with Roth's contract until later. There was speculation, but no confirmation.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    true rafi, however this guy hasnt been right all spring/summer....little reports popping up here and there about he was slow to recover.....

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This staff gave Channing Crowder a new contract. That contract was written and proposed by THEM. The moment they did that, he became a CURRENT regime player, not a previous regime player. They could have absolutely let him walk after 2008. He was an unrestricted free agent. They gave him a deal. Channing Crowder is a current regime player. Matt Roth was a previous regime player.

They feel AT LEAST as much loyalty to Channing Crowder as they do Tim Dobbins, and probably much more. Just listen to Tony Sparano talk about Channing some time. Like I said, they GAVE him a contract. They inherited a guy on an expiring contract and they decided, this is our kind of player, we like him, we're going to give him a contract.

Since when has Crowder been out "most of TC"? That's ludicrous. He's been participating this whole time and only stopped about a week ago. Matt Roth never once participated. Not one practice. Didn't even pass the conditioning test. Big difference.

So basically all you're left with, is that they haven't said much about his injury. If that's the case, where've you been for the past couple of years? They never say much about anyone's injury. In fact with Matt Roth we had even more visibility. After a certain point, we knew he had a groin injury, and that they were waiting for that to be healed. We don't have jack as far as Channing's injury, just "unspecified leg injury".

The similarities aren't even there to begin this conversation, not sure why it even crossed anyone's mind.

Dol-Fan Dupree, Desides and ssmiami like this.
  26. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That's pretty superficial, IMO.

Also, three years and one new contract into the Sparano regime, it's about time we started describing guys like Crowder, Carey, and Ricky not as holdovers from past regimes, but players brought in by the current guys in charge.

(Hopefully Ronnie will fall into this category soon.)

Themole and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  27. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if Crowder is not injured he is the starter, no doubt about it

28. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Roth wanted top dollar for doing absolutely nothing prior in his career.

Crowder wanted big money but took just a tad over his worth.

Both Polar Opposites....

29. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Guys, Matt Roth was an isolated incident. Not every situation is a conspiracy. Sometimes a player really is hurt or is being saved for the regular season and/or they already know what that player brings to the field. Take off the tinfoil hats..