1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dansby is a Bigger Addition Than Marshall

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LandShark13, Jun 24, 2010.

1. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Why Dansby is a Bigger Addition to the Miami Dolphins Than Marshall

Full story

HULKFish, PhinsRock, SICK and 3 others like this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Only time will tell which addition pays the greater dividends. I would argue Marshall will improve our offense much more than Dansby improves the defense. I expect great improvement in our defense, but expect it to have more to do with Mike Nolan than Karlos Dansby.

3. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I tend to agree bro :lol:

dolfan7171 and MonstBlitz like this.
  4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    both major acquisitions, on opposite sides of the ball, that will contribute to a SuperBowl run in 2010

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Good post. I think Marshall's contributions will be easier to recognize b/c of his position, catching balls, scoring, etc. Meanwhile, Dansby's contributions will be more subtle, taking away passing lanes, cutback lanes, locking down the middle of the field etc. Its too close to call for me at this point, both should be major additions, but like MB said, only time will tell.

funkdat likes this.
  6. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It depends on how you quantify "bigger addition." If we are talking about which player will lead us to more victories its hard to say. Dansby sealed the Cardinals victory in their playoff game last year. However Marshall certainly has the skills to affect the outcome of a ballgame.

Time will tell who has the bigger impact but my money is on Marshall simply because of the nature of the position he plays.

7. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    How many more rings would Ray Lewis have if Jerry Rice had been his teammate?

8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    The same amount Randy Moss would have if Ray Lewis had been his teammate :lol:

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Gold

10. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Cardinals fans rave about Dansby's ability to play in space. This is a far cry from the run stuffing LB's we're used to seeing. Our linebacking corps has suddenly switched to being a much more mobile unit. Let's see how well it translates on the field.

11. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good point. :up:

12. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    It will be obvious to see how an impact player like Marshall would be on offense. In my opinion, it would take a half season or even a full season to see the impact Dansby will make on the defensive side of the ball.

Thunderbolt89 likes this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Its an excellent question, and one that i'am very happy about not knowing the answer to at this point..

I think we all can agree that the two positions we desperately needed were secured with the signing of the 2 best players available, much respect to the front office for recognizing and making it happen...

Call me crazy, but the signing of one Brandon Marshall imo, was for the intent to develope the most dominating run game in the league, as well as to have an efficient pass game to compliment..{.excuse me while I wipe the evil grin of my face}...

The way i look at this question is like this...If we were talking about adding Ray Lewis or Pat willis to our team, I would say they might be the only linebacker's that I would quantify having more impact then an elite receiver, However, were not talking about those type of elite linebacker talents. Dansby is good, but not in that league. The talent of a player like Marshall is so outrageous, and will have such a residual impact on the team as a whole, I just think that dynamic will be more impactful for his side of the ball then Dansby's talent is to his..

14. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Couldn't agree more,both Marshall and Dansby provide exactly what we needed on both sides of the ball. Of course as a WR,stats will show an immediate impact from Marshall, but it will take some time to see Dansby's impact. Both were needed signs and are already stepping up as leaders on their sides of the ball. Can't wait until this upcoming season to see their impact on the field.

15. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    defense was the bigger need after what we saw last season
    especially from the LB position
    we struggled there
    then we land marshall which blew my mind
    i flip flopped on that guy every day but you get him for lower compensation
    great job by the fo
    not sure i care which one makes the biggest splash
    we grabbed two really good football players
    one for each side of the football

Pandarilla likes this.
  16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I hope folks keep in mind that adding Grove to the Oline last season did not mean the Oline suddenly became dominant, it took time to gel.

Adding Dansby and Adding a New Defensive Scheme more than likely means the same thing, it will take time for things to work together properly.

17. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Forgive me for not reading but did anyone say that BOTH acquisitions are as important to their perspective side of the ball?
    We've been needing a dominant WR and a very good 3-4 LB for some time now.
    WE HAVE THEM!
    Who cares what people think on who's more important or valuable. :up:

BTW,they called Dansby our new MLB. HeHe.....

Pandarilla likes this.
  18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008

Of course but staus quo with elderly OLB's wasn't cutting it. At least the D has some young players to develop now in a new scheme. Except for Anderson, Moses and Crowder but we are working on it. Dumping Ayodele and adding Dansby. Wilson will be replaced by a youngster. That can't be any worse than what we saw last year.
    you have to move forward

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Here's how I see it:

If Marshall has a bad game, no big whoop, we've got other options (other receivers/running game); at the very least served a decoy role.

If Dansby has a bad game, it means we've probably given up 100+ yards to the run... during the first half alone and are probably trailing. Probably also means the defense can't get off the field so Marshall isn't seeing the field much anyway.

Killerphins likes this.
  20. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    Hell I could care less who is "better" for the team. Hopefully it's a push and both offensive and defensive coordinators have nightmares because both are terrorizing teams. I just want to get back to consistently winning every game, rather than being in the game until the 4th quarter.

phineas64 likes this.
  21. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

More bleacher report dribble...

22. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    True but this time of year I will take what I can get. :yes:

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I've said many times our best acquisition this off season has been Nolan. :up:

LandShark13 likes this.
  24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I love Dansby, but Marshall will be a big factor in the development of Henne. In this league you don't win without the QB and anything that will be that big of a factor in developing our young QB is the biggest addition.

IMO the three biggest additions were Marshall, Nolan and then Dansby.

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Biggest addition has to be Mike Nolan because without him we wouldn't have gotten Brandon Marshall. If you take that factor aside then I tend to think Marshall is the biggest addition followed by Dansby and then Nolan. But, I waffle on the latter two. Marshall to me is by far the biggest addition.

I've crunched the numbers every which way to Sunday. I've taken a look at more tape of both guys than most people would imagine. The bottom line is Brandon Marshall could singlehandedly take the offense from its 15th rank in points scored, to somewhere in the top 10. I don't think Karlos Dansby can singlehandedly have the same effect.

I can't help but wonder if most Dolphins fans are going to be disappointed in Karlos' real impact on this defense. I have looked at a full season's worth of his tape now and the player I saw is not the player people seem to be expecting. He's not Brian Urlacher in his prime. He's not Ray Lewis. He's not Zach Thomas. He's not going to take over games like those linebackers did. He's a good guy to have around. It's not my money so I'm thrilled he's here. But his inside blitzing is overrated, his ability to lead an air tight run defense is overrated, he's not as physical as you'd hope a guy that big would be, the big play factor is a little overrated, he doesn't lay down these monster hits, he can make mistakes like everyone else. People will say they're not expecting perfection but in a roundabout way, they show that they really are.

Brandon Marshall on the other hand is the real deal Holyfield at WR. He's a rare monster, a guy that can consistently create separation and then create yardage after the catch. With that big body of his I do wonder when he'll wear down in his career, but for now, he's what like 26 years old? Minor hip surgeries don't concern me now, they'll concern me in 5 years. He's just the more rare specimen and IMO he will make a defense think more about how to stop him than Karlos Dansby will make an offense think about how to get a hat on him.

Pandarilla likes this.
  26. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    It should only take you a few series to tell the difference from #51 to #58 this year.

We went from the worst coverage ILB to One of, if not the best coverage ILB in the NFL.

Pandarilla likes this.
  27. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Brandon Marshall is hands down the better player but we had alot harder time stopping teams then putting up points last year.

28. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Kind of see it the other way around.

I may be giving Dolfan's to much credit but i think most of them know that Dansby is really only here because he's a great coverage ILB and just a lil above average at every thing else.

Also don't see Marshall getting 100 balls when he'll be playing on a team that loves to run the ball and has two very good running backs and a Oline more built for running the ball.

He'll opening up the football field for everyone but himself.......i really only see him getting around 75 balls this year and i think some people will look at that and wonder, not knowing he's a great run blocker and making other teams play us 9 against our 10 because of him.

29. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Can't we just ban the bleacher report URL? lol

30. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    You can ban it in your browser if it means that much to you.

31. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Are you comparing Marshall to Rice and Dansby to Lewis. Wowzers.