1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft: Offensive Linemen to Focus On

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KB21, Apr 3, 2008.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The Dolphins have shown an interest in Jake Long, but the chances of Miami actually taking him with the 1st pick are very slim. One reason is because Jake isn't an elite left tackle prospect, and unless the player is an elite left tackle prospect, he doesn't hold #1 overall pick value. The second reason is because it goes completely against Bill Parcells's history and philosophy when it comes to the draft.

The Dolphins will focus more on mid to late round players along the offensive line. This is what Parcells has done in the past, and I believe he will continue to do this. The Dolphins have shown some interest in players like Anthony Collins and Gosder Cherilus, but I don't believe either will be taken by Miami in the 2nd round. Cherilus probably goes in the first round anyway, as I have him going to San Diego at the 27th pick.

The linemen I believe the Dolphins will focus on in the draft:

John Greco, OT, 6046, 305, Toledo - John is a big, strong, physical, overachieving type up front. He's got great size and size potential. He's built very thick in the lower body and is an explosive drive blocker. He is a player that will project to the right tackle position as well as either guard position. The Dolphins attended his pro day and are interested in him. John Greco will probably go in the late 2nd to early 3rd round area.

Duane Brown, OT, 6041, 315, Virginia Tech - Daune may be one of the more athletic linemen in the draft. He has a nice upside because of his athletic potential. He also plays with a mean streak. The Dolphins attended his pro day and are interested in him.

Chad Rinehart, OT/OG, 6050, 320, Northern Iowa - Chad is another lineman that can be classified as a typical Bill Parcells type of lineman. He's a hard working, big, physical guy that is an excellent trap blocker and has some ability to pull. He projects as a left guard in the NFL. He's similar to Dallas Cowboys prospect Doug Free. The Dolphins attended his pro day and are interested in him.

Brandon Keith, OT, 6052, 343, Northern Iowa - Brandon is another lineman from the Northern Iowa program, and he's a big, physical player. Brandon started out at Oklahoma before transferring to Northern Iowa. He has the ability to be a great run blocker at the right tackle position, but he needs a lot of work on technique. The Dolphins attended his pro day and are interested in him.

Shawn Murphy, OG, 6037, 320, Utah State - In continuing the theme on getting hard working, physical, overachieving types, Shawn Murphy is another guy that has caught the Dolphins eye. The son of my favorite athlete of all time, Dale Murphy, is a physical drive blocker who would be a great fit at either left guard or right guard. He has great character and a nice upside. The Dolphins attended his pro day and are interested in him.

James Blair, OG, 6030, 323, Western Michigan - James is a college tackle that projects to guard in the NFL. He's a big, physical, and extremely tough guy on the field. Very good drive blocker. The Dolphins met with James at the NFL Combine.

Some other linemen that the Dolphins may show an interest in:

Roy Schuening, OG, 6035, 306, Oregon State
    Mike McGlynn, OT/OG, 6042, 311, Pittsburgh
    Donald Thomas, OG, 6033, 303, Connecticut
    Mike Gibson, OG, 6034, 305, California
    Andrew Crummey, OG, 6045, 299, Maryland
    Jeremy Zuttah, OG, 6033, 303, Rutgers
    Mike Butterworth, OT, 6067, 320, Slippery Rock
    Ryan Poles, OG, 6035, 312, Boston College

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
  3. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    and this Butterworth guy from Slippery Rock, he doesn't even show up on the rankings but this has to be the second time I've heard his name come up

4. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Kerry Brown is a big guy with some potential. I could see him going to Dallas, as he strikes me as a Hudson Houck type of player.

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Haven't we shown a lot of interest in Jeremy Zuttah?

6. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    if you're right about Rinehart being like Free, then sign me up on that bandwagon

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    KB, I am a bit curious, we have the #1 pick in most rounds, the pick of every large school product in the Draft, why are most of the players we are looking at from smaller schools?

8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks KB, excellent write up.

I am hoping through some miracle Greco actually falls to us at 4-1. Do you see any chance he could play Guard?

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Nice write up. I'd very very suprised if we didn't take an OG/OT within the first 4 picks.

10. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    good stuff KB are all the names in bold going to be drafted ? i mean greco for sure brown too, but i havent heard a lot about the rest of these guys you mentioned, so the rest of them go as UDFA or they will get drafted ?

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah? I wouldnt be surprised if we take 1 within the first two picks, and 2 within the first 5 rounds. :up:

12. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The ones I bolded are the ones that I know for sure that Miami has shown some interest in.

13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Nice write up KB, thank you for posting it. I don't see any way we don't draft 2 OL at the very least this year. 1 OT & 1 OG are badly needed. Do you think maybe we see Mormino in a starting role this year at LG? If not, then we're expecting two guys taken in the late rounds to be starters for us on the OL. Spells disaster for us next year IMHO. But I don't think we'll win more than 3-4 games next year anyway, so why not get 2 rookies playing on a now very young OL? Let them work together this season regardless of the wins/losses and gel for the 2009 season. Only problem with that is it makes our evaluation of Beck/McCown/?? much harder play8ing behind that OL.

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well OL is, by far, the most pressing need on the team. While I don't think they'll take Jake at #1, I do think they'll take one or even two in the second, pending who is available. The thing is, in regards to 'Tunaland's history' as you said, is that I doubt they've ever been associated with a team, even in their first season with that team, that is in such dire need at the OL position... If you add in the talent in this particular draft with our dire need, I think they might change their method of operating this year. All that said, I like most, have a stronger belief that this regime, compared to others we've had, can make better personnel moves and will be giddy about whomever they take to improve the team....

15. Trackstar

Trackstar Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    FL
    Isn't Murphy a former D-lineman? He's been playing the Guard position for only two seasons and he's already a top guard prospect. Very intriguing prospect.

16. Sam

Sam Member

Nov 30, 2007
    When Bill was with the Jets, he drafted 1 OL in '97, 3 in '98, then in his third year, and last year with them, he drafted 4 OL.

1999: Traded out of 1st round
    2nd Randy Thomas - Left as FA, best of the bunch
    3rd David Loverne - On 5th team
    6th JP Machado - Played 5 yrs in NFL
    7th Ryan Young - Good, but retired after 5 yrs probably due to injuries.

I'm hoping they change their strategy also. Going back to Parcells Jet days, and he and Ireland's days with the Cowboys, for the most part, the OL picks were/are pretty average, so far, to down right failures.

In fact, if you look at the Cowboys starting OL, 3 were FA pickups and the other 2 were drafted before Parcells got there.

I really wish I could be optimistic about their drafting of OL, but regardless, I do feel that several years down the road, it'll all come together whether by drafting, trading, or FA.

17. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I couldn't get to the thanks button fast enough. Great to see you here KB, haven't seen you since this time last year. Hope all is well and the draft day chat is going on as usual.