1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Koa Misi under pressure replacing Jason Taylor?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 3, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/03/1610017/misi-has-no-identity-crisis.html

Eh, seems more than a little unfair to Koa, but this is the sort of storyline that will grow over time if Taylor plays well in NY or if Misi plays poorly in Miami.

The unfair part is, Koa Misi's game is not rushing the passer per se, he is more an all around OLB, so the comparison is apples to oranges imho.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I would hope they aren't relying on Misi to be a starter week 1.

3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Unfortunately, they're probably dead on with this analysis. We've got the most unrealistic fan base when it comes to draft picks, period (maybe excluding the Raiders). I've read plenty of places already writing off Quentin Moses from the squad and I thought he looked really good in preseason last year. He was a top DE talent who might be ready to emerge but the fanbase perception is that he's a bum because he's not starting. We really need to have a Steeler's mentality with our linebackers and truly let these guys develop. They're the bread and butter of a 3-4 defense...

dolfan7171, unluckyluciano and gunn34 like this.
  4. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Anyone to judge him after a season would be crazy. Especially if Jason did well in New York. He's a rookie after all, there are a lot of adjustments that he has to make.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    don't matter
    if misi doesn't come out and produce sacks immediately the taylor player fans will go ballistic on jeff ireland mark my word
    there will be no patience at all with misi
    its sad but that is the way it is unfortunately
    i hope the guy plays it cool and doesnt feel the heat from that and i feel confident enough that they will bring him along in a comfortable way.
    we need him out there immediately of course but lets wait and see at what capacity.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well...that is unless Cameron Wake has a bundle of sacks early in the season, and we do open with the Bills...just sayin'..

One thing that most Dolfans rarely speak about is the number of top sack artists the Dolphins have had recently...like Armstrong, Adawelae, Taylor, Porter..

For all the talk of the Qb, we have had a bundle of sack leaders in recent seasons..Cam Wake could easily join that list..for Koa Misi's sake I hope he does.

7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i would love to see wake step up and be the guy to excel in the sacks department. i have done nothing but support him. i still think he is the only real keeper from the group of OLB's last season regardless of his lack of truly playing the position and being a project. If wake can step in and take over this season the d will be a lot further along than i expected at the position
    believe me my fingers are crossed

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    very difficult to compare the :hi5:
    just to start w/ the Rookie hasn't played a (NFL) game
    & Jason is a record breaking, nearing retirement DolFanIcon
    & SuperStar
    lets hope the guy can contribute immediately
    & grow within the franchise, that he's a perennial proBowler like JT.
    I think he will not disappoint
    but will anoint no one as heir of Jason Taylor

got to be a lot of pressure on misi:omg:it will help make him or break him

9. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Judging from his response though he doesn't seem to really feel the pressure. I sense another laid back and relaxed guy ala Henne. He's got a drive to succeed, but doesn't seem to let it get into his head.

I really like having a core of our team built around guys like that. Sure you want some intense in your face players who thrive off the energy. But I think its just as important to have your core players have a single minded focus and not potentially be clouded.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Honestly did JT make that much of a difference to our defense last year??? NOOO, and he wasn't even in a Phin's uniform the year before. JT hasn't been a force here since 2007. Our defense as a whole has gotten much younger but we are filling in the slots nicely. Not every LB has to be like Junior Seau/Shawn Merrman and yell and scream and pound their chest and do the sack dance to be effective.

dolfan7171 and Killerphins like this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    For one game, Jason Taylor was "JT" and that would be the second Jets game when he ran that fumble back for a TD, in the 3 sack Bills game, the outcome was already in hand when he had #2 and #3...though #2 came from Wake as "someone" changed the stats from the game so Taylor ended up with .5 of a sack.

But yeah, for 90% of the season Taylor was single blocked successfully.

12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Misi will be more then ok. In the Utah games I watched (against Air Force) he was lined up all over the place and while he didn't always make the tackles he was in the area and getting pressure on the QB when asked to pass rush. I like his flexibility, especially in the defense we run. Dansby on the inside will be the biggest difference from last year. I can't wait till September. :up:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  13. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thankfully the fans don't run the team. Fans will be fans, management knows that and players have to learn to know that. You gotta be mentally strong to play this game, especially if you have a bad season because everyone will be on you. The good thing for these rooks is that they are rookies, so one bad year isn't going to kill them on the depth chart, unless they are a later round pick because they can get cut in a second. 1st and 2nd rounders don't have that sort of pressure.

But all that aside, being asked to replace Jason Taylor as a rookie out of Utah is ludicrous.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I can't wait to see how all of the training camp battles shake out, RGM vs James Pruitt and Misi vs Q vs B Johnston and Dobbins vs Crowder and Jerry vs Garner vs Thomas vs Tsoumpas vs Feinga

15. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Eh, this is just media BS. They're trying to make something out of totally nothing because there's not much news going around now. I'll bet the only pressure Misi feels right now is adapting to the NFL and trying to become a good player. I'm sure JT is not even on his mind right now.

16. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'd actually pay to help you find some new material.... that was a bunch of BS when you started it, to just keep milking it, should be embarrassing.

Steve-Mo and Anonymous like this.
  17. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Why not? Zach Thomas, a fifth rounder started his rookie year, first game. How did that work out?

This guy can play. Put him in. He won't get better by watching.

He is our Tedi Bruschi...

18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    If Koa Misi ends up doing nothing more than replacing Crowder at ILB......the ****storm shouldn't be over comparing him to Taylor, but why the hell didn't we take Golden Tate.

19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    42 total tackles and seven sacks and was involved in over 300 plays
    that is really mediocre
    i can't for the life of me understand how some think he had such a great season
    in a group of bad LB's he smells like a rose
    he wasn't a difference maker here last season
    part of why he is gone

20. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Well what are the chances Misi tacks on 39 total tackles and 5 sacks this season?

That is what Taylor did in his Rookie Season...

If Misi shows that much performance then the JT fan base has no leg to stand on...

21. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The response that deserves would probably draw a warning from the mods. The JT situation has absolutely nothing to do with this rookie and everybody knows that. So feel free to come off of your high horse thinking that you support the Dolphins more than others. If the Miami pass rush is nonexistent this season it will indeed be a knock against the FO, but not against this new player.

jetssuck, the 23rd and Disnardo like this.
  22. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He's not. He's going to be our starter at SOLB from day one.

Also, drafting Golden Tate would have been a terrible decision.

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    pressure can be a good thing

24. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Has he started a foundation?

25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    he has a lot of incentive to do well but is no Jason Taylor. give the guy some room to step up in his own way & I believe he will

26. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    When AFC East teams were waiting to see who we picked.....you can bet your *** they were a lot happier we took Misi than Tate.

And Misi better start hitting Burger King 3 times a day if he's gonna be out there setting the edge anytime soon...... IMO he won't. He looks more like Crowder's replacement.

27. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What did everyone say when rumors were flying around about MCclain to Miami? Linebacker overload. Well, drafting Tate in the second after trading our second for a receiver would have been Wide Receiver overload. There's no point. Tate would not have upgraded our offense enough to justify drafting him after trading for Marshall. He would not out produce Hartline, Bess, or Camarillo.

You're acting like he's 230 pounds trying to go to 250-260. He's not. He's 243 pounds. We have 4 months until the season begins. He can easily gain a solid 15-20 pounds and learn to play with it.

28. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    Misi is an outstanding football player. Hes a hardworker and he will come to play. The idea that he has to be better than JT overnight is ludicrous. Irrespective of Taylor, we we drafted a player who can be an outstanding player on our team and fixture for our defense for the next decade. The possibility that he moves inside is a decision that coaches will make. He does offer us that versatility. Thats not a bad thing. He will make alot of plays for us. He may not lead the league in sacks, but intelligent football fans are going to quickly see what kind of player we have in Misi.

Killerphins likes this.
  29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i love the way you are thinking here
    if misi can play inside and outside in nolan's hybrid defense that just adds to his value
    we know we are going to see a lot of rotation in the front seven
    there was a reason we pushed the card to the podium so quickly
    it was nolan's draft and they didn't hesitate
    whether he starts immediately is irrelevant considering the scheme and the movement
    he will make plays and be a big part of the change happening on the defensive side of the ball
    im excited to see it :up:

30. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I clearly stated the ireland would take the heat. whats the problem?

31. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Agreed. I think the media trying to fit Misi into replacing Taylor is trying to put a round peg into a square hole.

In fact, I think that's a challenge with all these players. Instead of looking at whether player X can replace player Y in production, I look at it this way:

Looking at the front 7, do I like this front 7 better than last year's? (Including within that, the lack of team orientation that Porter brought? And some of the challenges with JT choosing surgery late and missing the off-season training with the team?).

Personally, I like the potential and depth of this front 7 better; without JT and Porter I think they'll develop faster and I think they are going to be solid for the long haul.

32. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    I'd give him #99.