1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editors?

Discussion in 'Business Networking' started by HULKFish, Apr 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Hey guys, HF here... Besides my Network Support position and various graphical projects I'm also a writer. I've been working on my first Fantasy novel for a few years now. It is close to being finished and I do have a publishing contract but I just found out they don't actually offer an Editor in the typical sense... It is an epic, currently around 680 double-spaced pages. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I'd like to see if any of my people here have advise or solutions to offer.

You can go to my webpage (still under production) by me and read the current Synopsis and view some graphics I've made.

MARLSBETH

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Personally, people specialize in editing as a profession. I did a few articles within my field for my company, and let me tell you, although what I submitted to the publication was well written, concise, etc, their staff editors really made a difference in transforming my article to the 'professional' standard.

I strongly recommend you hire a pro, and trust me, it isn't uncommon for them to in some cases make wholesale changes etc. Everyone uses editors for a reason, and they have their separate profession for a reason. Ultimately, you will have a better finished product if you go this route.

HULKFish likes this.
  3. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    Professional is the way to go.

By the way, your "epic" might be a little short.

http://writing-genre-fiction.suite101.com/article.cfm/standard-genre-novel-length-requirements

HULKFish likes this.
  4. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Um... Not short. 193,000 words as of right now. I'm nearly finished with my 3rd read-through edit.

Still trying to figure out how to get a finished product without paying big bucks...

SICK likes this.
  5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Just to echo the others, you're going to need a professional editor, if for nothing else, the sheer size. I do editing as a side-job, but the most I've had to edit is one book chapter, something like this takes a lot of time.

People like me, who do editing as side-jobs, have other work we have to do and aren't able to devote the necessary time to a project this size. A professional editor is someone who does these things as his/her primary job.

To keep costs down, you may want to go to an outsourcing agency.

HULKFish likes this.
  6. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Thanks, with the size of my manuscript it looks to be really costly! They charge per word upwards of 2k... Don't have that kind of budget so I'm going to keep looking at my options.