1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins see good safety options in NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Apr 18, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Miami Dolphins see good safety options in NFL Draft

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/17/1584579/thomas-berry-are-top-safety-options.html#ixzz0lQeDhXAI

This article has me very excited about this positions depth in the draft.

But according to …….
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-by-round-input/dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:mia

……….the Lions, Buc’s, Skins, Chiefs, Seahawks, Browns, and Jags all pick before us and all need to draft safeties (according to the NFL link above). I wonder what will still be left after these teams pick? It seems likely that Berry, Thomas, and Mays could be gone. This could leave us drafting Major Wright.

I read an article last week that said our new DC (Nolan) traveled to a remote location to watch hours of Wright's footage and conduct a secret meeting with him. I don't know if that report was true or not but I am curious as to your thoughts....

jetssuck, eric and GISH like this.
  2. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I would like to see us get Thomas, on account of my love for ball hawks. But I feel OLB is a bigger position of need...It is mind boggling really.

3. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    it's a shame we are probly trading down to pick up a 2nd.i really like thomas on this team(and berry but doubt he drops to 12).i think even if thomas is there we attempt a trade down.i wouldn't mind a guy like major wright in a later round but not sure if he's ready to start day one.

4. andres2882

andres2882 New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Most of those teams need a lot of positions and safety is generally a position most teams don't pick early (apparently because if you miss on a safety there is no position to which you can move the player). In any case, I agree that Berry is a longshot to be there at 12, but I'm fairly certain Thomas will be. I hope we pick him, but, if we can move down and pickup a nice OLB in the first and a S like Wright in the second, I'm all for it! That would allow us load up on BPA with our Friday/Saturday picks and hope for a diamond in the rough.

EDIT: Thinking it over a bit more, this is one of the reasons I'm a little disappointed in the Ginn compensation. Do you think we possibly could have used him to swap our third with someone's second? I'm assuming SF said no...

cobrajet likes this.
  5. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    There are a lot of questions going into this draft as far as the Dolphins go. Who will fall to them at #12, what position will they decide should be addressed first.
    A lot of options wont be there if we dont make a trade and pick up a second rounder. Its a long time between our first pick and the third round which will put a lot of emphasis on our first pick. Will they trade Ronnie Brown or Smiley or maybe someone we arent expecting. The suspence builds!

6. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    With JT waiting in the wings as a very good OLB (IMO), you can bet there's that huge OLB draft 'could' be looming and JT's contact lays in the balance.

IMO, I didn't like the Ginn trade they way it happened. I think they could have gotten more creative with it. But what's done is done. I think that some of his droped balls (not all, but a few) were do to Henne's fast ball. Ginn was trying to "hand only' catch Henne and it was blowing right through his hands. Ginn should have just focused on the catch instead of trying to impress everyone. I wish him the best. OMG...We'll all faint if he turns into a super star. I think he has the tools but just couldn't get the job done here in Miami.
    The Safety position is always a pain to draft, and it has been said that if you miss on a S then you have no place to put the player if is doesn't work out. Again, only IMO, this is only partially correct. Safeties who cannot make is at that position work out well at OLB if the are questionable in coverage and are big hitters like Taylor Mays.

I just love this #12 pick. A great team like ours picking at #12 is unheard of. I can't wait until Thursday.

cobrajet likes this.
  7. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    To be honest; I don't even think that the Dolphins at this point know who they will draft because of who is left at that time. It's almost impossible to predict this far out. I think they have their favorites but until pick 12 becomes a reality - god only knows for sure.

cobrajet likes this.
  8. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    There will be something in this draft for everyone. Friday evening we will be very happy on these boards.