1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If there was a cap....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Salary Cap' started by LandShark13, Apr 15, 2010.

1. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    With the two big acquisitions the Dolphins have made this year Karlos Dansby and Brandon Marshall) where does that leave us cap wise. Yes I know that this year this isn't a cap but next year I think its a pretty safe assumption that there will be.

So for the same of argument lets say there is an imaginary cap. How far over the cap if at all are we currently?

unclemonty likes this.
  2. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    So far this year Miami has spent 123 million on salary for the top 51 contracts and dead cap, and thats only counting Marshall's base salary of 2.5mil for 2010. I dont have bonus info just yet. I dont know what the signing bonus / roster bonus breaks down to yet.

The cap last year was about 136 million for Miami, so we are roughly 13 million under last years cap.

3. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami

Appreciate the Info. Thank you!

unclemonty likes this.
  4. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I have Brandon Marshalls salary info. As of today, Miami has spent 127.9 million on contracts for this year, which includes the dead money for Ginn, Porter, and Wilson.

So we are about 8 million under last years salary cap before signing our draft picks.

We are pretty much at the same exact point we were last year before we signed our draft picks. So Miami is pretty much operating with an "imaginary" salary cap this year and its all business as usual.

5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

If you don't mind me asking what have you figured our dead money amount to be?

Had to come back and add that I've got it at about 20 million. Am I close or way off base?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  6. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Im at 20.514 million. Spot on.

7. unclemonty

unclemonty New Member

May 11, 2010
    How much dead cap money for each player (Ginn, Wilson, Porter)? I came up with a little less than this number.

8. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Edit: I went back and checked, I had some money in different columns. When I do my cap pages, I make them for future years also, so I had a 2010, 2011, 2012 etc. pages working in my excel folder.

For 2009 releases, because there was no cap in 2010, a new rule is the remaining prorated bonuses count entirely against the 2009 cap, so therefore the only "dead cap" we would have this year would have been players who have been released after the 2009 season. I changed them in my 2009 sheet, but never went ahead and deleted them from the 2010 sheet after the CBA wasnt extended.

And thats only Porter and Wilson, and then Ginn by trade. I never deleted Ernest Wilford or a few other guys with minimal signing bonuses from that column after I accelerated their bonuses in the 2009 cap sheet. Porter was 4.8 million, Wilson was 4.00 million, and Ginn was 5.91 million.

Although Im not 100% sure on Ginn. Some of his guaranteed money was guesswork. Armando reported 5.8 million.

For Wilson, he got 8 million guaranteed, but I believe only a 5 mil signing bonus. The other 3 mil guaranteed were with other bonuses and I guessed in first year base salary and I believe he received a 2 mil roster bonus last year. So Im guessing that was guaranteed also. If not, he could be up to 7 million.

jetssuck and unclemonty like this.
  9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    good info guys thanks.

10. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Where can I get these numbers so that I can just put then in a table for a quick reference? Ill gladly do it if I can get the information.

11. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Theres no simple way. I have a cap page on phinzmania I keep and maintain. I update it every month. Players salaries are listed in the NFLPA database... but its only base salaries. For bonus information, you need to collect it from multiple published sources. And for some info thats not published, Im in a yahoo cap group and Ive made friends with a few sources in the media and someone from the NFLPA office. And it involves a lot of guesswork for roster bonuses, option bonuses, and workout bonuses. And a lot of players have incentives in their contract, so you need to check each player out every year and see if he hit their incentives.

This year, Jake Long and Lousaka Polite hit incentives and their base salaries went up. Pat White, did not. Nor did Ted Ginn.

So Im constantly updating my page and as soon as its updated, a transaction happens and its not up to date.

USAtoda publishes their database at the END of the season. So its pretty worthless if you are doing cap pages during the season. The only good thing from it is being able to double check bonus information from your 2009 cap page, and then use that information to update any guesses you made on future cap pages.

And then there were special rules that went into effect last year because 2010 was uncapped. So I had to go back and update my dead money and where prorations were counted for.... which effects future years pages.

So in short, its a lot of work and needs constant updating.

gafinfan, unclemonty and LandShark13 like this.
  12. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Gotcha! :lol:

13. unclemonty

unclemonty New Member

May 11, 2010
    I LOVE your cap page at phinzmania. I have gone there several times for reference in the past. Are you still going to post the page for 2010 even though there is no cap?? I know there are alot of us still interested in knowing and seeing exactly what is going on (with or without a cap).
    Thank you for the hard work.

also for Smiley in the ASB column shouldn't that be 1.8 instead of 0.18?

14. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy doing it and think its a critical part of the game that keeps the competitive balance. Its the "anti-yankees" of the NFL.

And yes, that was a typo. The total cap hit was correct, just put the decimal in the wrong spot. :cry:

Although I'd bet my bottom dollar you can move him off the cap sheet into the dead cap list in a few weeks.

I'll be updating it once the rookies sign and I still plan on keeping it. In the next CBA Im positive there will be a cap.

unclemonty likes this.
  15. unclemonty

unclemonty New Member

May 11, 2010
    Awesome, I look forward to it!

I agree, Smiley, as well as Torbor, are goners IMO.

16. Philter25

Philter25 New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I got my sheet, Wilson is 4 million in dead money this year.

He received 8 million guaranteed, of that, 5 million was a signing bonus, 2.05 was a roster bonus last year, and his 950k base salary his first year, which totals 8 million. So only 4 mil in "dead cap" this year if there was a cap.

unclemonty and unluckyluciano like this.
  17. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Bump.

I'm sick of seeing "I wounder." on the forums page.

jupiterfin likes this.
  18. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    lmfao!

19. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

With the cuts just made where are we at with salaries at this point? Does anyone here know?

20. PondScumEsq

PondScumEsq New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Pedantic? Yes. However, I'm afraid the title should be "If there were a cap."

I realize I'm late for the party here, but everything aside, there should be a salary cap across the board for the NFL. I remember earlier this season when all the players were raising their fists and fingers in a sign of solidarity in their labor dispute of millionaires. Really guys?

There are some smart ones in the pack, but I grind my teeth when most players are interviewed. As soon as they open their mouths I can't help but think if it weren't for football they'd be bagging my groceries, expediting my French fries, or at best, mixing concrete. They should be thankful for what they have.

The bottom line is that they are entertainers. If they want to pout and cry like petulant children the same thing will happen to professional football as did to professional baseball back in 1994. If you alienate the fans you cease to be entertaining.

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah but there is no way the owners should get to keep all the money either PS....

22. PondScumEsq

PondScumEsq New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    That is why I have a bank account.