1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2010 Boston Red Sox Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Feb 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    With pitchers and catchers reporting to Spring Training in a little over 11 days it seems like a good time to start of the official 2010 thread.

Last year was a bit of a disappointment not only getting swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Angels but many of Theo Epstein's free agent pick ups turned out to be busts (Smoltz, Penny) but he did score big with a a few trades (Ramon Ramirez, Victor Martinez, Billy Wagner, Alex Gonzalez). Here's a look at the key additions and subtractions:

Key Additions:
    John Lackey
    Adrian Beltre
    Marco Scutaro
    Mike Cameron
    Jeremy Hermida
    Bill Hall
    Boof Bonser

Key Losses:
    Jason Bay
    Takashi Saito
    Billy Wagner
    Alex Gonzalez
    George Kottaras

Obviously Jason Bay was a big loss since although his bat disappear in June and July his overall numbers were few good and the Sox are losing a 25+ HR bat in the line up. The addition of John Lackey deepens a very solid starting staff that has the potential, if healthy, to be dominate and the best top 5 in baseball with a solid 6 man in Tim Wakefield. The defense, especially in the line up will be extremely good and moving Ellsbury to LF can only help the OF defense. Sure this team doesn't have the sexy star power names but they're not the Kansas City Royals or Pittsburgh Pirates either. The home run totals will be down but they still are a solid offensive club that will get on base and score runs. And I'm sure if there's a big bat available (Adrian Gonzalez?) at the trading deadline Theo won't hesitate to nab him.

My prediction is that the Red Sox will once again win the wild card and with their (hopefully healthy) starting staff they will be a force in the playoffs.

Anyway all are welcome to stop by and discuss and debate. Good luck this season. Go Sox.

Phinperor likes this.
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Atlanta
    The wait is over, Mr. Finkle has made it official. I love the pitching this year, and I think Theo will be able to upgrade the bullpen as the year progresses. I am very interested into seeing what Papi will bring to the table.

I like the Sox to win the wild card although I suspect it may be tougher than last year. I enjoy talking Sox with vets. and any new comers.

Ray I laughed a bit when I saw Kottaras in the key loss column.. You should have skipped a line after Gonzalez. Go SOX.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah that key loss column was a bit thin and he popped into my head when I was listing guys they lost in the off season. Can't wait to get the season started already, it's been a long winter.

4. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Wooooo Go Red Sox!

5. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    This will be an interesting year seeing how the whole run-prevention strategy plays out in an offensively loaded AL East.

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

- Beckett's future with the team beyond this year. I love Beckett and I hope they extend him, but I have an awful feeling that Lackey was brought in to fill the void of Beckett when he walks via FA at the end of the year. Please tell me I'm wrong.

- Is anyone else concerned with the amount of (potential) dead weight on the bench? If Papi really is done (he sure looked the part last season) and Lowell's movement hasn't improved (doubtful) that's two roster spots being eaten up by guys that don't have any versatility. Is there a chance Lowell just gets flat out released during ST?

Looking forward to another year of Sox discussions with all of you.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If the Sox signed Lackey with the intentions of letting Beckett walk, I'm going to be mad. I like Beckett more than Lackey and feel they should extend Beckett. Of course I don't know what the medicals look like and maybe Beckett has some damage in his arm we don't know about. Remember Beckett has broken down a bit the last 2 years around August time and I remember back in '08 when everyone was nervous he was visiting Dr. James Andrews and was going to get the dreaded TJ news.

I think the bench is an upgrade over last year, at least based on potential. I don't think any team has a strong bench but I'll take my chances with Hermida, Hall, Lowrie (assuming Lowrie stays up this year) and/or Lowell over some of the other benches in the league.

I talked to someone pretty high up with the Red Sox a week ago and he told me that he wouldn't be shocked if Lowell was released before ST breaks if the Sox can't trade him. He mentioned that the Sox were willing to pay 9 million out of the 12 million in the deal to Texas, so the Sox already feel that the 12 million is a sunk cost. If they don't think he can help, they won't think twice about dumping him. He also told me that Lowell has two bad thumbs, both hips bothered him last year so the Sox really didn't want to go into the season counting on him to be/stay healthy all year. The only way Lowell stays is if the Sox don't feel like Ortiz can bounce back or if they he can help the team in a bench role.

7. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I think Lowell could help with the Bat and he might be able to stay healthy in a reserve role.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    But will he be ok with coming off the bench and not starting, only playing once or twice a week? He could become a distraction. Plus do the Sox even have room another 1B/3B/DH type? All legit questions. In a perfect world, he'd be a right handed pinch hitter and the Sox DH against tough LHP.

9. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The Boston Red Sox have claimed right-hander Gaby Hernandez off waivers from the Seattle Mariners.

Analysis: The 23-year-old Hernandez was 10-9 with a 5.23 ERA in 26 starts for Seattle's Triple-A team at Tacoma last season. He was 5-0 in his last five starts, finishing the season with 98 strikeouts and 48 walks in 146 1/3 innings. A third-round draft pick of the New York Mets in 2004, he hasn't pitched in the majors. Hernandez was considered organizational depth in Seattle.

--------------------------------------------

Boston designated right-hander Robert Manuel for assignment after claiming him off waivers, also from Seattle, on Nov. 20.

Analysis: The 26-year-old Manuel pitched 4 1/3 innings of scoreless relief last year for Cincinnati in the only major league games of his career. Manuel has a good arm and a future in the major leagues, but for now, zero value.

==========================================

nice job in my book...upgrade.

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Early word is Wakefield looks painful throwing off the mound although people say he's still recovering from back surgery. Whatever he belongs in the pen right now (if a place on the team at all).

Clay Buchholz apparently put on 13 pounds this offseason as the Sox wanted him to put on weight so he could have more stamina as the season goes on. Remember when people wanted to trade him straight up for Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Taylor Teagarden at this time last year?

11. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I love the pitching staff from the starters to the bullpen but the offense is going to lose games for the team this season and I'm sure will be extremely difficult to watch at times.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I still don't think the offense is going to be as bad as people think. They won't have the power in it like in the past but they will still score runs. The offense wasn't great last year either and they were still 3rd in the AL in runs scored. I still think when all is said and done they will add another big bat by August 1st.

13. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Offense may not be as good but when our defense can prevent alot of runs we wont have to out score everyone either

14. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    count me among those who dont see offense being too big an issue for the Sox, they will still score runs... and they have a front office that will address the problem if it becomes one.

15. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Hey Finkle you seem very knowledgeable about the redsox prospects and i have a question if you wouldn't mind.

Im in a dynasty league and were drafting minor leaguers right now, which sox prospects of Ryan Kalish, Josh Reddick, Anthony Rizzo do you think have the brightest future for fantasy purposes?

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Depends on what you're looking for really. Reddick is probably the closest one to an everyday MLB job but he's probably the least talented of the 3. A lot of people question how good of a MLB hitter he's going to be because he likes to swing at everything, so he's probably going to be a 4th OFer. Kalish has a shot at being a 5 tool guy and could come up for a cup of coffee this year (like Reddick did last year) and could possibly be a 20HR/ 10 to 15 SB guy and could seemingly take over for JD Drew or Mike Cameron in 2 years. Rizzo is the farthest away from the ML (probably 2 years away) but he could give you 25 HR power who hits for average and gets on base a lot but 1B is always going to be deep with guys that can hit and he might be blocked by Youkilis, Lars Anderson or possibly someone else the Sox pick up. I'd probably rank the guys like this: Kalish, Rizzo, Reddick.

I'm guessing guys like Kelly and Westmoreland are long gone. But a few others to think about are Lars Anderson (who's coming off a bad year), Derrik Gibson, and Stolmy Pimentel. Those guys except for Anderson are a few years away but depending on how many guys get drafted and how long you can keep them, they might not be bad to pick up in the last round.

UCFinfan86 likes this.
  17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Baseball America put out its list of top 100 prospects. Here were the Red Sox players ranked:

21- Ryan Westmoreland
    24- Casey Kelly
    75- Josh Reddick
    87- Lars Anderson

Here is their top 10 list of Sox prospects:
    1. Ryan Westmoreland, OF
    2. Casey Kelly, RHP
    3. Josh Reddick, OF
    4. Lars Anderson, 1B
    5. Ryan Kalish, OF
    6. Junichi Tazawa, RHP
    7. Reymond Fuentes, OF
    8. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
    9. Jose Iglesias, SS
    10. Derrik Gibson, SS/2B

UCFinfan86 likes this.
  18. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Reddick seems way too high on both lists and on the Sox prospects list, Rizzo seems way too low.

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I actually agree with you. The problem with BA's lists is that the people that make them aren't actual scouts, they're just writiers. They make the list based on talking to people in front offices and area scouts. Plus they tend to rank guys that have already played a few games in the ML and are closer to making an impact sooner a bit higher and don't really rank guys in the low minors high. That's why I put more stock into someone like Keith Law's list because he actually goes out and sees these guys play himself and not only has experience in a MLB FO but is a scout himself. Plus his track record is nearly perfect and he's pretty straight forward and unbiased especially with Red Sox prospects since he lives in Boston and sees a lot of their minor league teams.

Here's his list again, which I posted in the old Sox thread:

Keith Law ranked his Top 100 prospects today, here are his Red Sox rankings:

Casey Kelly #18
    Ryan Westmoreland #32
    Anthony Rizzo #53
    Lars Anderson #56
    Ryan Kalish #86
    Jose Iglesias #91
    Junichi Tazawa #98

The 3 other guys he would have put in the Sox top 10 prospect list:
    Derrik Gibson SS/2B
    Stolmy Pimentei RHP
    Reymond Fuentes OF

Law says the reason why he didn't put Reddick in the Top 10 is because of his bad plate approach and doesn't think he'd fair well in the MLB with it and is more of a 4th OFer term.

UCFinfan86 likes this.
  20. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Wakefield throws nothing but crap anyway,just really good crap.I talked to Kerrigan when he took over as pitching coach there about Wakefield,about the only guy who can even coach him is Niekro.But velocity is not going to be Wakefields problem,control might be,but velocity doesnt matter with a knuckelballer.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Here's a link to an early look at the Red Sox new ST park set to be ready at 2012:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/02/red_sox_provide.html

I can't stress how much sense it makes to have the main field be exactly like Fenway is, with the same distances, Green Monster etc. I always wondered why more teams don't do this (well money is probably the main issue but still), especially teams that have unique things in the OF. Its just easier for the players (especially new ones) to learn/used to how to play the wall. Kudos for the Sox to finally doing it. The new complex looks like it's going to be great.

Phinperor likes this.
  22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    First 2 ST games today, can't wait to be able to watch some games soon. The season is just around the corner. Some be interesting to see which pitcher out of Bonser, Richardson, Nelson or Shouse gets that last spot in the bullpen. And hopefully Buchholz has a good spring so there are no thoughts of putting him in the pen or minors for Wakefield. I am interested in seeing what guys like Lars Anderson, Ryan Kalish and Josh Reddick show in the games they will get to play in too. Because depending on injuries and how the season goes all 3 have a shot to be up at some point this year, although I'm sure if Anderson or Kalish are up before August 31st the Sox will be in some trouble injury wise.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  23. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    These are funny...well done Red Sox Nation (hahahaha..nation)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzmVLEZuIVU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Red Sox Nation commercial - "Yankees Suck"[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZ8yzhAWLU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Red Sox Nation commercial - "Cop"[/ame]

GreenMonster and Phinperor like this.
  24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Red Sox have a 10:30 press conference announced today in which Nomar will announce he's retiring. I know he's been looking for work at ESPN and the MLB Network. I wonder if NESN is a possiblity. Either way he was always one of my favorite players and it is sad the way everything ended for him with the Sox and besides from that one year in LA never was able to rebound from that. People do forget just how good of a player, especially a hitter, he was in the late 90s and early 2000s, seriously check out his numbers. Thanks for the memories, hopefully he won't disappear on us and he'll be around Fenway a few times a year.

EDIT: Looks like Nomar is signing a 1 day minor league contract to retire as a Sox and then will join ESPN. Good to see the Sox and Nomar both being able to kiss and make up.

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    There's a lot of chatter than contract extension talks between the Sox and Beckett are going pretty well. It seems like Beckett wants to stay so hopefully this deal gets done soon.

26. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I am worried about Ellsbury even tho I probably should not be

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Why are you worried about Ellsbury?

28. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Signing him to a Long Term Deal.

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh, well his agent is Scott Boras, so I doubt he signs a long term deal while still being club controlled like Youkilis, Pedroia and Lester did. The Sox have him controlled for 3 years, a lot can happen by then. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

Skeet84 likes this.
  30. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Ok Thanks man!

Ray Finkle likes this.
  31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    BigDogsHunt likes this.
  32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Jed Lowrie is out with a mystery illness where he feels weak, tired, and dizzy and has a rapid heartbeat. Weird. Sox obviously sent in for tests but this doesn't help Lowrie's chances with making the team if he's going to be out for any extended time. It seems like there's always something up with him though.

EDIT: Turns out he has mono.

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Surgery on Westmoreland apparently went well. It's going to take a couple of days before they know how well it went though as there are still risks involved right now. Baseball aside hopefully he can recover from this and be able to lead a normal life.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  34. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Glad that the surgery went well. Wonder how long Lowrie will be out cause Mono can linger

35. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
  36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Lowrie is actually going to try and play through it, obviously some days will be better than others but he got the ok to resume baseball activities. With that being said I think it puts his chances of making the team in doubt which I think the Sox are fine with since they want him to get regular playing time in Triple A anyway.

37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Die hard yankees fan here.....you guys are scary loaded in pitching....and defense...

38. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    I didn't think the Woonsocket Rocket (aka Rocco Baldelli) was still on the team.

FWIW, I've completely given up on Jed Lowrie. With the emergence of Jose Iglesias this ST, Lowrie isn't going to have much of a future here in Boston.

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Lowrie would make for a nice back up infielder in the very least. He still has some value to this team if he can ever prove he can stay healthy, I don't hold mono against him, but I think with Iglesias on the fast track Lowrie has probably missed his opportunity as a starter here.

40. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    anyone think Hermida will push for PT? He is on fire. Only struck out 4 times and batting almost .350. Ellsbury has been struggling and only Batting around .200. I do realize its still Spring training