1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma TV issues

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Colmax, Jan 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I have a 50" Panasonic plasma that just turned 3 years old. It's been a wonderful TV (still is) and the warranty ran out in Oct.

On the right side of the screen when the TV is on for a little over an hour or so after watching HD (especially sports), there will be a vertical line about an inch thick (from left to right) and about a foot long (up and down) that turns reddish/pinkish. Getting a closer look, it's basically made up of a bunch of horizontal red lines.

I called two places a week ago (one is suppose to call back, one gave me an "answer") and the guy that gave me the answer said that he's never had a Panasonic come in, but he could fix the problem. Said it could take a few weeks. I know he's busy because my dad took his plasma there when nephew hit the screen accidentally with a ball he was throwing around in the house (TV was unrepairable), so he must know what he's talking about, right? The over-the-phone quote is about $350 - $400. Could be more or less depending on what he sees when he gets there.

Was wondering if anyone here has had that problem with their plasma? If you have a Panasonic plasma, have you had this problem? Have you, your aunt, your cousin, or your best friend's dog, ever seen anything like this?

Thanks y'all! :up:

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I have a Panasonic Plasma, had it for approx 15 months. love it. never had that problem, although one time I did have a temp burn in issue that went away, scared me though... god damn baby einsten dvd LMAO... can't believe a ball broke thru the lexsand-like screen though.

305 and Colmax like this.
  3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That sounds a bit high really...for a few hundred more you can have a new 50 inch brand new with a warranty, and you could probably Ebay your current TV for the difference. I've never worked on plasmas so that may be a fair price...I personally would not spend it though.

Colmax likes this.
  4. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    before you get it repaired look into new tv prices. they are pretty low compared to 3 years ago when you got that tv.

i imagine you spent 3-5 thousand on that one. since panasonic is expensive and it was 3 years ago.

you could get a 52 inch LCD now for 900-1500. LCD uses less electricity then plasma and puts out less heat. also has less chance of burn in/image retention.

just think about risk/reward if the repair bill gets higher then a few hundred dollars.

Colmax likes this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    seems like it could be caused by a bad panel (really bad) or a bad control board?

Colmax likes this.
  6. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    It’s the sustain boards.

Usually it’s only one of them that acts up but I recommend replacing all of them because they work in unison!

Colmax likes this.
  7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I have already decided that, on an image as large as I like, a plasma is my only choice. My father and fiance's mother went LCD with the larger screens ('09 LCDs), and I just do not see it. My 3 year old plasma is much more pleasing. The picture on the LCD is fine, but there is some lag with quick movements that make it look....shaky. Movements aren't as smooth as the plasma.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    you also want to keep in mind that the viewing angles on a plasma are better and plasma screens have a better ability to reproduce the color black. Additionally the newer screen on LCD's are being made out of plastic instead of the traditional glass we are all used to. I don't know, something about that strikes me funny and screams "cheap". It does make the LCD overall lighter and really doesn't make the overall TV suffer......but, I'm just not convinced.

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    And even with the Highest Tech plastics (Trust me, I work with some INCREDIBLE plastics) scratching is always an issue.
    If you have kids, LCD is almost out of the question. Its one thing to have to clean the glass...its something entirely different to try to buff scratches out.

10. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    which is why I believe they went this root.....you scratch.....time to pony up $1500.....................but it does make it lighter(sarcasm)

11. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    look into LED screens if LCD isnt good enough. LED is even lighter and more efficient. has everything hands down better then LCD except price. but it isnt much more then plasma.

my grandmother has a 55 inch LED and the hole TV is only 1.2 inches thick. its nuts. its so light that the wall mount for it is actually a wire. you put two screws in the wall, level, at a certain distance apart. and the wire hooks over those like you are hanging a picture.

sking29 likes this.
  12. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    this will be our future.....without a doubt

13. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I have a Panasonic 50" plasma that just **** the bed. The blinking error code is telling me that it is most likely the ss board. Friggin thing is 18 months old, and Panasonic isn't going to do **** about it. And this is a very common problem in panasonics. Exactly like a red ring of death, but without ANY accountability from the manufacturer if you are out of that first year warranty.

The part is $140/$200 if you can find it. There is a guy who swaps refurbs on eBay for $60. I'm gonna give that a shot. I'm not gonna pay $300-$400 to fix a $1000 tv that will most likely crap out again. If I install the board and it works, then great. But if not, I'll post on craigslist and sell to a hopeful tv guru, and pick up something new. It doesn't pay to fix tv's when for a lil more, you can get a new one. Plus I have a buddy at Samsung who can hopefully hook me up. But 18 months man....this is some bull****!!!

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    When in doubt....Samsung.....

VanDolPhan, muscle979 and bigbry like this.
  15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    that doesn't rhyme stoopid.

finyank13 likes this.
  16. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Let us know what you decide on.

17. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Agreed. My Samsung plasma is still going strong after seven years. <knocks on wood>

finyank13 likes this.
  18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm a big fan of Samsung. I have a recently purchased Samsung plasma that I'm very happy with.

finyank13 likes this.
  19. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I have a samsung in my basement. I have samsung baby monitors...Samsung is what Sony used to be. Company has come a log way.

finyank13 likes this.
  20. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Going to put a bit of a damper on the Samsung parade here. They clearly make excellent hardware, but at the same time they cut corners.

Their LCD TVs need to be calibrated to hell, and even then you can't turn off every single post-processing gimmick they build in. They also have an annoying habit of reducing the amount of cable ports available on smaller sets. Bought a "smart" TV? The software is a joke, completely useless and inferior in every way. Lastly, they put inferior display panels on sets below 46'' in size. Need a bedroom or guest room TV that isn't massive but looks good? Sorry, you're going to deal with ghosting and color banding unless you go huge, which is especially unfortunate for those that play console games.

That said, I do have a 40'' Samsung LCD set in one room, and I have three of their SSDs; the 840 Pro line is excellent. But I'm under no illusions that their products are universally awesome.

305 likes this.
  21. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    But whose are? It seems today like everyone makes **** for the most part.

Take dishwashers. I've owned 5 different dishwashers and have yet to see one that actually works well, quickly, and efficiently.

22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Well, that's not quite accurate. The more accurate statement is that companies will market crap the most, because it's the cheapest, and people will buy whatever is cheapest without regard for quality. While it's amazing to me that people have access to the greatest repository of information in human history (the Internet) and will still make impulse decisions based on price instead of research, it happens, and companies will cater to what their customers want.

If you do a bit of digging, you'll find the higher end products. Unless you're looking for Samsung products; they don't have a semi-hidden or less-discussed higher tier of product, IMO.

I'd forgive a lot of this from Samsung if they used their engineering and technical clout—Samsung manufactures or makes components for a lot of its competitors—to fix some things that are fundamentally broken about things like TV technology. Instead they just slap something together, engage in a price war, pay off a few shills to talk about how great their products are, and roll in money.

23. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    I've got two Samsungs with no problems at all. 46" and a 40"

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No problems, or no noticed problems? Because I guarantee you that you have ghosting at a minimum. LCDs are notorious for it, and Samsung's Game Mode setting doesn't really help.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack this thread. I just want to get it out there that Samsung is not perfect. The comparison of Samsung to heyday Sony is what prompted my posts; Samsung, good as they are, is held back by flaws that prevent them from being what Sony used to be. I also don't think it's possible for a company to be like that again, the marketplace is just too different now.

25. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    None what so ever, but I think mine are LED. Anyway had them for 3 years now.

26. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Also I've always been a Sony guy, but when I did my comparisons I liked the Samsung picture better.

27. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    LED is a type of backlighting, not a display. LED TVs still use LCD displays. And yes, they ghost.

Stitches likes this.
  28. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Get a Bosch, of course it won't be "quick" because no consumer dishwasher exists that is quick and efficient. The Bosch I have is super quiet though, efficient, and works extremely well.

29. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Maybe you should describe the ghost effect so I can look for it.

30. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The plates aren't soaking wet at end of cycle?

31. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No. Not even close.

32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's exactly what it sounds like; a motion blur trailing behind a moving object on your screen because the display cannot refresh itself fast enough to keep up with the motion. This happens because the liquid crystals in your display can't change color quickly enough to correct for the fact that the moving object is no longer on that specific set of pixels.

33. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Okay thanks, mine are not doing it.

34. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    You cant put paper plates in the dishwasher dude.

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It is. You aren't seeing it. Which is fine, if you don't see it then it can't bother you.

36. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    i'd like to introduce you to Mrs FinD then.

finyank13 and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  37. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Dude. this is so easy to diagnose.

The tv is trying to shield you from watching the dolphins this year.

:crapstrom:

38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You do this always!!!....it continues my love/hate relationship with you hahahahah

What do you prefer? When I go window shopping the Samsung always just looks better picture wise than the comp..The Pano's Plasma are really nice too but this thread is scaring me a bit...

Ok over 50'' Des would pick......

LED:
    PLASMA:

Not saying between the two, pick one TV for both of those...

Readyyyyyyy GO! (I love TV talk)

Also this is interesting, hopefully starts to bring down the competitions price points....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5286772/vizios-first-4k-tvs-will-start-at-only-999

39. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    LED: Samsung HL61A750 :shifty:

finyank13 likes this.
  40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So solid...DLP'ing it son!!!