1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going "gritty" would be mistake for next 'Spider-Man' film

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by NaboCane, Jan 22, 2010.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Here's the most telling part of the article:

http://www.seattlepi.com/movies/414497_film31820439.html?source=rss

padre31 likes this.
  2. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    I dont really agree. I would much rather watch a more realistic darker version of any of the comic book movies then that silver surfer garbage.

IMO horrible villains trying to end the world as we know it is a pretty bad thing and should be dark.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    But some of these comic books and superheroes aren't suppose to be dark like Batman and if they try to be it won't be faithful to the source material and will fall flat. Just because a comic movie isn't dark doesn't automatically mean it's a bad movie. And just because going dark worked for the Batman movies doesn't mean it will work for other movies (like Ghost Rider).

The first two Spiderman movies were good, same for Iron Man and the original Superman movie and those weren't dark. Yeah movies like Spiderman 3, FF4 and Hulk stunk but that wasn't because they weren't dark it's because the story/script/acting/direction all stunk.

Dol-Fan Dupree and gunn34 like this.
  4. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I think that if by "darker" they mean more introspective, then that could be a good thing.

Those who remember Spidey only from cartoons won't relate, but the Spider-Man in the comics - especially in the '60s, when he started - was a dark, brooding mother****er, conflicted as hell about his abilities and the role they thrust him into.

But if they mean "darker" as in, everyone around him is gonna die, and he's gonna live in a ****hole in a ****hole city where everything is awful (read: Gotham City), then...no.

And starting over with a new Spider-Man - read: NOT Tobey McGuire - can only be a good thing.

dolphan117 likes this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I wouldn't say the 60s version is "dark". He was always light hearted, he just couldn't get a break.

I think making Spider-Man dark like Batman would be a huge mistake. That isn't what Spider-Man is about. I can see making the movie more serious and exploring more of the dark emotions of Spider-Man. Guilt really.

I was thinking about it and I came to the conclusion that Spider-Man would work best if it is thought of as a great episode of Scrubs. Having the huge emotional impact with the light hearty nature.

One of the things I did not like about the Tobey McGuire Spider-Man is that he rarely said anything and rarely cracked jokes. That is nothing like any of the Spider-Man in comics or the movies. Well maybe except for the time he started calling himself "the Spider". I didn't read those ones.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I would love to see a Spiderman 2099 version of the film. This is the only way they could axe Peter Parker. This version of Spider-man was not Peter Parker. His real name is Miguel O'hara and he was awesome.

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I would love to see a Spider-Man 2099 version of the film as well. That would be perfect for a dark movie. All of the 2099 series was pretty dark.

8. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Going 'gritty' only works when the original source material supports that decision. Batman, or Blade are good examples.
    Other heroes like superman, spiderman or the fantastic four work better in non gritty worlds. Doesn't mean the bad guys have to be fine upstanding chaps, but the heroes have to be.

Going back to the original superheroes, from epic myths guys like Beowulf and Achilles work as dark brooding gritty heroes.
    On the other hand Robin Hood and his merry men work really well as clean well cut fun loving guys, as portrayed by Errol Flynn. When you try to turn it into medieval Batman, as Kevin Costner did, you end up with a movie that's only redeeming feature was the villain's over the top hamminess and complete mocking of the star.

9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Men in Tights was awesome though.

maynard and padre31 like this.
  10. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    Spider-Man cant reallly be dark, i mean he is dark in the sense he has the worst luck of anyone in the history of the planet. He gets powers and a girlfriend, the girlfriend dies as a result of his powers. He has a childhood best friend that was the only person there for him growing up outside his family, who ends up being his arch nemesis. he joins the Avengers, just in time for the avengers to implode.

What makes spidey unique though was he was able to shrug off all these horrible things that happened to him and still was able to crack light-hearted cracks on himself and everyone around him as all this was going on. And i agree about Tobey McGuire not being the spidey from the comics, i liked the movies and physically, Tobey was about as perfect a fit as you could get, but his jokes and general unwillingness to shut up no matter the situation he was in was missing.

Silverphin and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  11. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I think a Superman movie with Doomsday would be a great gritty movie. There is an animated movie called Superman: Doomsday that is pretty dark. In fact, that movie was NOT intended for kids.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I also think Darksied is potentially a really dark place for Superman

13. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Superman is dead. I've seen the body.

14. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    that sounds interesting. my whole thing with spider man is that i never liked peter parker. i guess its not for everybody.