1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A near tragedy...and a lesson learned.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pagan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    This past Friday night we headlined the Chance Theater in Poughkeepsie, NY again. As we always do, we used our flashpots at the start of the show. This time though, instead of using two we used four.

The ceilings in the place are well over 50 feet high, so we never expected anything to be dangerous. Well...wrong. The four flashes went off, and they looked SPECTACULAR.

[​IMG]

Then, during the second song of the set - ironically named "The Burning Times" - my guitarist comes to me and asks if I smelled anything burning. Looking around the stage we saw nothing, so we kept playing.

[​IMG]

All of a sudden right near the end of the song, the fire suppression system went off, bathing the band, our equipment, and the entire stage in chemical.

[​IMG]

Apparently, sparks from the pots ignited an ancient hemp rope along the back wall. The flames went up the rope and into the vent system, causing pieces of foam to start falling on the stage. Luckily they had the system in place, cause it put the fire out, but unfortunately the brunt of the blast hit our drummer directly in the face.

Troopers to the end...he went out the stage door to dry heave for a few minutes, then returned and we soldiered through the rest of our set on a stage that looked like the last days of Pompei.

It was only afterward that we found out how lucky we were. The vent stage right was the one that caught fire. Had it been the one on stage left, the system couldn't have reached it and we'd have been the new "Great White".

The flashpots have been retired, and we learned a valuable lesson...no matter HOW safe a company tells you their product is, there's always that one in a million chance that something can go wrong.

We were just happy that no one was hurt or worse, and that alot of our fans actually stuck around through the firestorm. We all have to bring a compressor to our studio now and get the chemical out of all our equipment, but that's a small price to pay considering what could have happened.

The video will be up on youtube soon....

Boik14, sking29, DOLPHAN1 and 15 others like this.
  2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    wow, glad no one got seriously hurt or worse.

Pagan likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Fortunate indeed Bro, there are so many variables when you use those things indoors, heck James Hetfield turned his forearm into a blow torch by wandering around one of those things on stage.

Pagan likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

as you know glad to hear everything's ok

Pagan likes this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    you didnt learn anything from the great white fire
    using pyrotechnics in small venues is a disaster
    the second you smelled something burning you should have stopped the show and cleared the room
    continuing the show is not worth it
    glad no one was hurt bro

Pagan likes this.
  6. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Glad you and everyone else are OK, P.

Pagan likes this.
  7. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro I am glad to hear everyone was safe.

Pagan likes this.
  8. anlgp

he kinda covered that in the original thread when he said looking around the stage they saw nothing burning. i highly doubt they continue the show if they realize something is burning.

come on now.

Firesole and jetssuck like this.
  9. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    To clarify something...this was not pyro that we were using. It was a simple flash. Ever see those old movies when a photographer would take a photo and they had the powdered flash? Same principle.

Also, Great White used arena sized pyro in a club where the ceiling was a foot over their heads. The ceilings at the Chance are at least 50 feet high, and we've been using these flashes there for years. One in a million happening...but it happened.

Had we known something was on fire we'd certainly have stopped the show. No one in the audience even knew. It was about 30 feet over our heads.

Also...when the extinguishers went off, the fire was out. Our drummer stopped to go outside and heave, so we DID stop. When he came back in the threat was over, so we continued our set.

10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    So did you get a nice buzz off the hemp fumes?

Pagan likes this.
  11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    do your amps go up to 11?

Pagan likes this.
  12. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    So glad your all ok pagan.
    Now, don't scare us like this again.:no:
    Can you post the pics here also?

Pagan likes this.
  13. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I hope you played Smoke on the Water when you came back after your interlude.

Pagan and adamprez2003 like this.
  14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Obviously I'm glad everyone was ok but man those pictures are pretty cool! And I love the Penguin bass, it's sweet as hell.

Pagan likes this.
  15. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    wheeeeew I was worried you were going to say you lost a race to a civic :lol:...Glad everything is OK Pagan.

Boik14 and Pagan like this.
  16. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Pagan does NOT play with Spinaltap stooooopid ;pity:
    -
    Glad you're okay brother.
    Another of lifes experiences.

Pagan likes this.
  17. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Pagan likes this.
  18. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I'll post them when the photog sends them to me Deb. :)

Nope...13. :wink2:

Read what I wrote bro, we were playing a song called "The Burning Times". No lie...

Thanks man, there used to be a pic of me with it on the Pensblog. :D

No, that wouldn't have been a tragedy....that would have been equal to the Hindenberg crash. :tongue2:
    Mor...the scary irony in that was that we were booked to play that club. Thank the Goddess we weren't booked that NIGHT.

Here's another shot of the flashes going off:

[​IMG]

Yikes.

19. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Glad everyone is ok. :up:

Pagan likes this.
  20. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    to close for comfort........lesson learned!

Pagan likes this.
  21. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    wow, glad it was not any worse than it was Pagan... that is wild.

Pagan likes this.
  22. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Got some shots from the show...in the midst of all the mess we got some GREAT pix! LOL!

The other singers you see are our old singer from the "Darkest Hour" album, who came up to sing two songs we did from that record, and a woman named Kelli McCloud who sings backup on one song off the new album and came up to sing the song live with us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dolphindebby and jetssuck like this.
  23. anlgp

as alice in chains so succinctly put it "friends don't let friends give each other haircuts"