1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Tim Graham

Discussion in 'Trophy Case' started by Muck, Jan 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Hey guys,

We'd just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome ESPN's Tim Graham to ThePHINS.com.

As you probably know, Tim has written ESPN's AFC East Blog since 2008. Prior to the Bristol network, he worked the Dolphins beat for the Palm Beach Post after spending eight years covering the NHL and boxing for the Buffalo News. Still a South Florida resident, you might also have heard him on WQAM's Miami Dolphins Countdown to Kickoff this season.

You can check out his always excellent AFC East Blog and follow @ESPN_AFCEAST and @TimGrahamESPN on Twitter.

In the meantime, you can do just what the title of this thread suggests: Ask Tim Graham. :)

Mainge, ssmiami, dolfndav34 and 49 others like this.
  2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Hey Tim, can you score me some Super Bowl Tickets? Just kidding......unless you can, then PM me....

But seriosuly, great job Muck. This is just another reason why this site is the greatest.

So Tim, where do you fall on the team needs list of priorities? Is linebacker the most important position we need to upgrade (if so which one ILB or OLB) or WR or TE? Your entire reputation here rests on the correct answer to this question, no pressure.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    :woot:
    -
    Tim, what's your opinion on the teams stance on Ronnie Brown's? Will they re-sign him and add years or are the mounting injuries a real concern?
    -
    Thanks for spending the time here on the very best Dolphins site :up:
    -
    EDIT: Don't mind Adam, he's our resident lunatic. We promiser to keep him sedated if you stick around :up: :shifty:

dolfan7171 and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Welcome aboard Tim, look forward to hearing (or seeing) what you have to sat.

5. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Wow.
    We get an ESPN guy...WHO KNOWS HIS STUFF.
    This is great.
    Im an avid reader, and even if i don't always agree, I respect your opinion.
    Welcome.

jetssuck, dolfan7171 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Hi Tim...I have a two part question for you. The first part is, "Will Pennington be on our active roster next year?" I am assuming no, so my second part of the question is, "Will Miami bypass other needs with their first round draft pick and grab Tim Tebow if he is still available?"

Welcome to out website, and I hope you enjoy yourself while browsing. We have a little of everything from resident experts to casual fans throughout the world, and I am sure you'll fit in just fine.

7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I'm not Tim, but Pennington is a FA, I think a lot depends on Pennington himself, would he want to be a back-up or would he want a chance to start.
    I know he likes living in Florida, but I think knowing the type of competitor he is, he just may want to sign with a team he can get a chance to compete for the starting job.

I look forward to Tim's answer.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Wow. Always enjoy Tim's blog on ESPN. One of the few places there to find comprehensive coverage of the Dolphins.

Sorry to bombard you with another question, but I think a lot of us around these parts believe the Dolphins biggest need is a playmaker at the WR position. A true #1 WR. Do you agree, and if so, do you think this will be addressed through free agency or the draft?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Hey Tim, welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

Focusing on the defense, what do you think The Dolphins will do in the off season to improve? Specifically, who stays? Who (or what position) will be added? And, who's gone next season?

Many thanks in advance. And again...welcome to thePHINS.com!

Go Phins! :marble:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Nice, I always enjoy reading Tim Grahams stuff on ESPN.
    One of the few people with that company who are not all about stirring up controversy and promoting rumors.

Welcome Tim, and I look forward to your weekly coverage on the best division in football.

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    hey tim you do the afc east blog.....so this is kind of a non-dolphins related question......alot of people seem to have a opinion that the patriots are on the decline......with moss being older, losing alot of their key veterans on defense and trading seymore.....whats your opinion on this? are the patriots on the decline and teams like the dolphins/jets on the rise?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hey Tim!

Who do you believe is the top ILB prospect in the upcoming draft?

13. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Welcome to the best site anywhere.
    Enjoy.
    I can't wait to read your answers to our questions.

Xeticus, dolfan7171 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  14. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    ESPN ? like they hear anything new!:wink2:

Welcome to the site Tim.

I cant wait to read your answers as always these dedicated fans already asked what i was wondering most.

15. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Welcome to the site Tim. I always enjoy reading your blogs and chats on ESPN. In your ESPN blog you agreed with probowl voters that Lou Polite is not an elite or even a probowl FB. Obviously Dolphins fans are super high on the guy. So what do you think of Lou Polite's future in the league? Is being an elite FB in his future?

16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Your blog is great Tim.

On to my question: Out of Austin, Jackson, and Marshall, which one has the highest chance of getting signed by Miami?

dolfan7171 and Fin-Omenal like this.
  17. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Tim welcome to the site! It is great to have you here. Do you believe that the Wildcat is dead for the Dolphins offense next year since Ricky showed we can run the rock with out it? Thanks, John:wink2:

18. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Hi Tim and Hope you enjoy this site as much as we all do.

I have two questions, But if you can only answer one I will put that one first.

1st. Which safety should be playing SS (Bell or Wilson) for the Dolphins and will both be with the team next year?

2nd. What are your thoughts on Channing Crowder and what he brings to the defense?

Thanks alot! I enjoy your work

19. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Hi Tim!

Welcome to the site! Please help yourself to the mixed nuts and mints in the lobby. Your waitress will be with you shortly to show you to your table!

Enjoy!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Welcome Tim, much respect for Spending time at our site that we love. Just a few questions if I may.

1} Who's your favorite team?

2} A lot of us here love to watch film and evaluate talent, we take it pretty seriously trying to be on the same page with our team's mindset, and the building process of it, do you like to evaluate talent? and are you into the draft process?..

3}who do you think we'll take with our first pick, if were choosing around #11?

4} can you give us anying on the cap situation, whatta you think is gonna happen?

Hope you enjoy the most comprehensive, interactive, football site on the net.

Peace.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  21. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Tim,

Many believe Pat White is already a bust, and was a wasted pick. I disagree. What is your take on White?

There is a difference of opinion on a LB or WR being our #! pick. If projected talent is about equal, which position are you picking.

Slainte!

22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Can we please have this question stricken from the record? :shifty:.....JK Johnny :lol:

dolfan7171 and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  23. NoCalFinFan

NoCalFinFan ALLLLRIGHT MIAMI!!!

Dec 27, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Tim,

Thanks for rubbing elbows with us unwashed masses. Your time in the Buffalo and NE media have really seemed to reap benefits regarding your knowledge of our AFC East rivals, and I really enjoy reading the inside info you have on those teams in a "know thy enemy" kind of way.

Some questions:

1. Why are the Dolphins seemingly mention less than the rest of the AFC East on your blog? Is that a geographical issue or Sparano & Co. that good at shutting out the press?

2. Back in your blog days at the Palm Beach Post, you took a lot of lumps from fans for your criticism of the Trifecta's moves. Given that the Phins went on to be 11-5 and take the AFC East title, do you think you may want to take back some of those posts?

3. Two recent games (@Tenn, Texas) the Dolphins have been the victims of some horrible officiating mistakes in critical situations. In the Tenn game, the league tried to whitewashed a horrible PF call on Camarillo that put the Titans in FA range. In the other, the league provided no real explanation beyond "inadvertent whistle" on a critical fumble. Both calls could have cost us the playoffs. Considering that the NE Patriots got caught cheating in a Super Bowl vs. the Rams and essentially got a slap on the wrist, do you think the NFL has been fair in its regulation of the game - ?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  24. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hey Tim, love your stuff on ESPN.com, thanks for stopping by here! It really seems like you have a great grasp on the flow of the AFC, and impartiality to all 4 teams in your coverage.

With Buffalo and Miami's seasons over, attention predictably turns to free agency and the draft. Buffalo will be drafting ahead of Miami. Many of us Dolphans are clamoring for Dez Bryant in the draft. Do you think Buffalo looks hard at him, or is the need for a LT/QB/DE to much for them to take a WR?

Where do you see Buffalo going, or wanting to go, in the first round?

And also, do you think the Pats would ever consider using all their round 2 ammunition (and next years Raiders pick) to move back into the first round this year, or move up to a high pick in round 1? Who would they do this for? Thinking of CJ Spiller in a Pats uni is not something I want to do much of!

25. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    hey. like i said before this is a great addition to phins.com and just another in a host of reasons why its the best site on the internet. having said that is there another thread where tim graham actually answers our questions? if not i'm not starting a " Ask Bronco Nagurski" thread

26. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Welcome, Tim. Where are ya?

I can't wait to see your answers to some of the great questions in here!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  27. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    Welcome to the site and thanks for giving up time to answer some of our questions.

My question is regarding the draft. If both Bryant and McClain are available with our pick at 12, where do you think we will go and why.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  28. TimGraham

TimGraham New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Good morning, everybody. This is my first time signing on, and as you can tell by the timestamp it's a little early (about 5:22 a.m.). Actually, it's late from my perspective. I just finished getting caught up after covering Sunday night's Bengals-Jets game and haven't gone to bed yet. ...

I wanted to come on and say hello and tell you how much I'm looking forward to talking about the Dolphins and the AFC East with you. I'm honored that the site would reach out to me. Very flattering you would care to know what I think. I'm involved on a Buffalo Bills fan site it a similar way, and it has been a lot of fun. I'm sure this will be, too.

But I'm going to have to come back later Monday to start combing through the questions. I'm a bit zonked and I'd like to get into bed before the sun comes up. Catch you later!

CP1708, Mainge, CD13 and 48 others like this.
  29. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Thank you for answering the questions here and welcome to the site.I can't wait to hear some of your answers.

A question I had in general was how do you see our receiving core shaping out to be like next year? Do you see us drafting,picking up a free agent,or trading for a receiver in you opinion?

30. shaunm000

shaunm000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Oviedo
    Hey Tim!

Why does ESPN hate the Miami Dolphins so much?

Why does John Clayton comment about the AFCE in the power rankings when most other division bloggers get to post their own comments about the teams in their division? ( his comments are always negative and seem to sarcasticly poke fun at us)

Why is Matt Millen considered an expert football analyst on ESPN when its clear he was only an expert at destroying the Lions and setting them back for years?

Thanks bud, love the blog!

Xeticus and dolfan7171 like this.
  31. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    This is a great get for the site. Thanks for joining us, Tim.

How much day-to-day influence do you think Bill Parcells has on the organization at this stage of the game? It seems he has succeeded in changing the culture, and with all of the hubbub in the league concerning the newly minted "football czar" position, some around the site are questioning whether we'll soon see The Tuna heading for greener pastures -- or the sunset.

32. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hey Tim!! Welcome to the site. My question for you is, do you think the Dolphins have a good chance of going to the Super Bowl next season and actually winning it?

33. TimGraham

TimGraham New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I think you might have me mixed up with someone else. I don't recall ever being critical of the Dolphins' personnel moves. In fact, I liked the Ireland and Sparano hires quite a bit. You'll have to jog my memory about what you're referring to.

As for a lack of Dolphins coverage, much of it has to do with what the team supplies. The Jets, Bills and Patriots simply offer more material on a daily basis. For example, the Jets send out probably nine player and coach transcripts throughout the day, whereas the Dolphins disseminate only Tony Sparano M-Th-F. On Wednesday, they send out Chad Henne and Jason Taylor, too. But it's not a lot to work with unless you're in the locker room.

All that being said, the number of posts is pretty equal based on the tag counts. But if you're going only off the last couple weeks, keep in mind the Patriots and Jets are in the playoffs and the Bills are in a coaching search. The Dolphins essentially are dormant.

gafinfan, dolfan7171, Xeticus and 7 others like this.
  34. TimGraham

TimGraham New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    This is a team on the make. They took some lumps this year, but a lot of young players received invaluable experience at key positions. Quarterback, left tackle, both cornerbacks, defensive line.

Remember, the Dolphins' opening-day roster had the most rookie and first-year players on it in the NFL.

This might look like a setback, but I saw a lot of growth.

PhinsRock, MS4FINS, gafinfan and 11 others like this.
  35. TimGraham

TimGraham New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thanks for your kind words, Shaunm. Not sure why you're so easily offended about the coverage. I think I've been wuite complimentary of the Dolphins organization over the past couple years. I was the first one to write Chad Pennington deserved to be MVP last year and wrote Tony Sparano deserved coach of the year consideration this year. I've written nice things about Chad Henne, Ricky Williams and a bunch of other topics.

Aren't I enough?!?!?!

Probably not ...

Let me break down how the power rankings work ...

As I state every week when I post my link to the power rankings, the panel consists of four guys, and only two of them are bloggers: Paul Kuharsky and Mike Sando. I'm one of six bloggers who don't vote.

As for Matt Millen, I don't have an opinion. I don't get excited about analysts because I think all of them have worthwhile information to share and I've never understood fans who get too riled up by someone else's opinion. Matt Millen has spent a lot of years in the NFL as a player, broadcaster and executive. He went to a Pro Bowl and has a Super Bowl ring. I wouldn't call him a know-nothing just because he couldn't turn around a franchise.

36. TimGraham

TimGraham New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    The Dolphins have been trying to find someone for a year. They just haven't found one at the right price (draft position, trade value or salary). Braylon Edwards could have been a Dolphin, but after much consideration the front office didn't want to meet the Browns' asking price.

The Dolphins simply don't value receivers the way the market does. So they've stuck to their blueprint.

How they approach it for 2010, I'm not sure. The WR market doesn't look too impressive, but maybe more than any other position, receivers seem to get disgruntled easily. All it takes is the right guy to wear out his welcome and open the door for a trade.

37. TimGraham

TimGraham New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I'm going to try to knock out these questions a few at a time. Sorry I let them stack up a little. I'll be back on later tonight for some more give and take.

38. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Hey Tim, thanks for joining us here. I have two questions for you...

Do you think Brian Hartline has what it takes to be a future starter for us at wide receiver, possibly as our #2 guy next to someone else?

Do you think Ted Ginn's days are numbered in Miami?

39. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Thank you for answering my question Tim,I really appreciate it.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  40. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Hey Tim,

Thanks for contributing to the best Dolphin site around. I enjoy reading your blog throughout the year.

Dolphin Question would be: What do you believe is a greater need to upgrade (by FA or draft) for our defense in the upcomming offseason and why, between ILB or Safety? Or maybe a position you think we could use an upgrade at beyond those two.

General NFL Question: Have you ever met/work with/discussed football with Pat Kirwin or Tim Ryan? I really enjoy listening to them on Sirius and the play by play that Tim has done for the dolphins last year. Both seem quiet level headed and understand how the NFL works to give their listeners a much better perspective with regards to on field play, contract scenarios, football techniques, personnel moves. Seems to me they highlight the common sense behind operations and play, which tends to dismiss fans who get overexcited about certain players or management moves. I've found your blog to be similar, another reason i enjoy reading it.

Thanks again and welcome to our home. Hope you stop by when ever your schedule gives you a chance.

dolfan7171 likes this.