1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should the Dolphins Draft a Running Back?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RJones13LAL, Dec 12, 2009.

1. RJones13LAL

RJones13LAL New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Since Ricky Williams will be retiring soon, and Ronnie's contract is expiring. Do you think the Dolphins should draft a Running back with one of their early picks in the 2010 Draft?

Even if we keep Ronnie (which badly I hope we do), I really think we need a 2nd running back to fill the role that Ricky will be leaving (especially since Ronnie is so injury prone).

In my opinion I think a quick speed back would be a perfect compliment to Ronnie's tough style, as well as the wildcat. In my mind someone like Noel Devine would be great, and could have a Percy Harvin-like impact. There are other players such as Joe McKnight, and more who I think could also do well.

Or if the Front Office really thought things wouldn't work out with Ronnie, we might even go for a 1st Round Talent player such as Johnathan Dwyer or CJ Spiller etc. (even though I feel we need a Nose Tackle or a WR)

What Do you Guys Think?

2. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ricky has said he's playing next year and then retiring I believe.

3. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Absolutely. Use a mid to late round pick. Have to keep young talent in the pipeline.

4. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I would be fine taking a mid rd pick on a back however i think we wait 1 yr before we draft the future starting rb.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If we don't keep Ronnie then I could see us picking a RB high.

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    if they get me two linebackers in the draft then they can draft whatever position they want. of course it depends on who and what round. the rbs i like this year and the rd i'm cool with are

cj spiller 1st rd
    jonathan dwyer 2nd rd
    montario hardesty 3rd rd
    noel devine 3rd rd
    dexter mccluster 4th rd
    lagarette blount 6th rd
    john conner 7th rd

dont want to draft any RB prior to those rounds however. I think in those rounds those guys are great value and i'm willing to draft great value at a position of lesser need. i dont want to draft fair value at a position of lesser need however

7. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    We need a WR in the first round---a genuine number one starter. Then we need at least one quality LB and a safety. If we can pick up a good RB in the 4th round or so, go for it.

8. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yeh, with Ronnie's contract situation up in the air, if this regime has any thought of not bringing him back, you gotta think top round RB sometime in the next two drafts. With the 2011 draft being a stud wr draft, it's not crazy to see one go early to us like Spiller. If we are keeping Ronnie long term, Devine would make a great complimetary back in the Sproles mold
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    No.That's my final answer.

10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Uhmmmmm what?
    Do we have a pick prior to the first round this year :shifty:

Mindwarp, GISH and anlgp like this.
  11. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yep!
    Exactly as brother Rick said, except I think a solid every-down STUD linebacker takes away our need for a Safety. Wilson and Bell are learning how to play with each other :shifty:
    I think we spend the first on either a WR, LB or TE depending on who's still on the board, but spend mucho picks at LB and pick up a widebody for NT.
    -
    -
    -
    After that shopping list is filled, then yeah, I imagine they might pick up another RB.....
    -
    Keep in mind, we actually kept 5 active if you include Polite, and that is very rare.

the 23rd and Rick 1966 like this.
  12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I believe that Ricky is staying for one more year, as I recall. The question is whether the CBA is extended or not. If so, then Ronnie is a FA. Will they re-sign him or look for someone in FA or the draft ?? My guess is they'll re-sign him. You can replace his running with another back, but not is ability in the WC. Now if the CBA is not renewed, then Ronnie stays here for one more season anyway because he'd be a restricted FA and they'll put the highest tender on him.

Then there is the injury. How well and how quickly will he rehab from the injury ?? That is the real question. They may draft someone in the later rounds for some backup type role if Ronnie doesn't mend quick enough. The problem is that with the injury, come March when FA begins and the draft is a month away, we probably won't know enough about his rehab to make a good guess. Based on that, I suspect they take someone in the 3-4th rounds to groom to be Ronnies replacement or Ricky's replacement...

13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Patrick Cobbs is still a Dolphin. And sexy Lexy is just getting started. Maybe we find our own Marion Barber in round 3.

jetssuck likes this.
  14. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i will assume that we will draft a RB, but not until at least day 2 .... this regime doesn't usually cherish high $$$$$ RBs .... Ronnie changes things a little bit i think for them - but doubt they would break the bank, even for him.

agreed on LB, LB, LB - then WR and TE ... we absolutely MUST have more LBs ... we NEED a dominant WR and TE ... and throw in a NT as well - and that sums up this team needs to make a SB

15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You don't like Ben Tate? Or even Dixon?

16. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

I thought Noel Devine was coming back for his senior year? He's only a junior.

If he did declare early he would be a nice 3rd round pick as a change of pace back. Dude is like lightning in a bottle.

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    re-sign Williams & Brown
    go after a WR, ILB & NT

jetssuck and azfinfanmang like this.
  18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Our Main Needs are LB, WR, NT and S

Why add RB on top of that list? Just resign Ronnie, worry about our needs first, not our luxuries.

jetssuck likes this.
  19. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    All you have to do is see my sig for my opinions on the draft. ILB, WR, RB, ILB.

20. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Keep Brown, and we have Lex Hilliard, and Kory Sheets who we haven't even seen play yet.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ben Tate, please.

22. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I am totally feeling the NT position. Even IF Ferguson decides to come back, the guy will be 35-35 next year (assuming he's 100% healthy). Soliai does not demand double-teams. A rook working under Ferguson's leadership would be ideal.

I also think that if a solid OLB that can not only rush, but defend the run well, should be considered higher in the rounds. I suspect Porter will be gone next year. Taylor might have a couple of more years, and is doing OK, but he really gets burned in space. He sets the edge pretty well, though.

An ILB is also a need, but there are some ILB's that might be out there via free agency next year.

I would like Miami to look at a WR, but I am not too entirely concerned (yet). It would be nice to have that #1 guy, but I would hope Miami does not reach for a pick at that position.

Let's hope Will Allen makes a good recovery so we do not have to worry about the CB position.

As far as RB, yes, that would be nice in the 3-5 rounds. I suspect Ronnie would be back, but who knows? And unfortunately, he is "injury prone". He has only started one full season, and that was last year. I personally like Toby Gerhart, and he should be there in those rounds. Not that I think he would be a perfect fit for our offense, but I just like the guy.

23. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Wheat round will Toby Gerhart most likely land?

24. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    2nd/3rd right now, but he will slip after the combines when people look at his measurables

I don't care what anybody says, I think he is going to be a very good running back for somebody in this league.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  25. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    That's how I see it, the guy is a football player and a hellva a good one too.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Gerhart's got good vision IMO and he's always falling forward, picking up extra yardage. Have to love that about his game. He's not quick though, as you note, nor is he very fast but he runs the Stanford stretches pretty damn well. It's impressive.

With the other names you list, the one that's stood out to me this entire CFB season, from the start, is Fresno State's Ryan Matthews. Great blend of size and speed. He's also not bad in pass protection and has pretty good hands out of the backfield. I like him a lot.

Best is still a question mark whether he will come out or not. Hardesty is eh IMO. CJ Spiller is lightning in a bottle but he gets quite a bit of injuries, which I think has to do with him being a track star-like runner. I like Royster, he's good IMO. Charles Scott is a plower and a work horse. He's not exceptionally quick or fast either IMO. Noel Devine is very, very small. It wouldn't be uncommon of this management to take him but I have trouble seeing it because I think they want a guy who can carry some of the load.

One guy that I like, may be a bit biased but I think he's got talent, and that's Graig Cooper of the U. Yes, I'm a Canes fan but he's really become a good player and tailback. He's taken the next step at running back and it's so obvious IMO. His vision isn't the best but he's gotten better at recognizing holes and he's not thinking anymore. He used to do a lot of thinking on the field but now it's instinct and talent. He's got a second gear, he can stop and go easily, he's got good hands, he's returning punts/kickoffs, and he's got good speed as well as quickness. I really like his game. If he comes out, which wouldn't surprise me considering the talent in the backfield next year, he could be a guy who's going to go higher than most expect IMO.

Moreover, Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter is another guy that's very, very talented IMO. Good vision and great power in his legs. He's only 5'8, 5'9", around there, but he's tough as nails. He's a bit like Javon Ringer IMO.

Last, Chris Brown from Oklahoma is an intriguing runner. He runs upright IIRC but he's quick. I liked him and felt he was underrated last year. Haven't gotten an update on him this year but I do have him on tape.

27. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Noel Devine is on my personal radar Alen for a couple of reasons:

1) they have seen plenty of film on him when they scouted Pat White

2) he adds the big play to the Rb position

3) 20yrs ago...Big Tuna took Dave Megget from..WVa.

Devine imho would be exactly what this offense needs, it would come down to a matter of durability with him imho, if they draft a player he has to do everything they demand of the running back position, block, play ST on coverages, return kicks etc.

Even if he could do all of that, the next question would be whether or not they could honestly see him carrying the rock 20 times a game if Ricky and RB are out with injuries.

RJones13LAL likes this.
  28. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    watch 4 a move on McFadden w/the Raiders before the draft

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Padre, I'm not saying Devine is not on the radar, it's very possible that he is for the reasons you mention as well as I stated earlier. However, they could want a bigger back and it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, Dexter McCluster is a better player than Noel Devine IMO.

30. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Too fragile, he is always dinged up.

Now Michael Bush or Justin Fargas....or maybe even Marion Butts (Cowboys Rb)

31. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    I would not give up more than a fifth for him, and I'm the biggest Hog fan on this board. :lol:

Do you have inside info on this?

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Congratulations to Mark Ingram. Love the guy's attitude and a definite first rounder IMO.

DolfanCole likes this.
  33. RJones13LAL

RJones13LAL New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Aside from The U, I am a huge Purdue fan, and I will say, I Love Me Some Kory Sheets

34. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    If a great back is available, then yes, but I am a firm believer that you take the best player available, especially a "skill" player, like a wide-receiver.

d-1

35. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    In your dreams Rio :yes:

Not sure why they would do it.
    We already have 4 RB's that are superior :up:

36. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    toby gerhart is an animal, cj spiller is great as well. I think a WR is more of a need for us if we can get ronnie back though.

37. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    NO NO NO we get Ronnie back next year If we dont get a wr in fa i want...

Tate WR
    Hernandez TE
    Berry FS
    and a ILB this is a deep draft in that pos.

at least 2 out of the 3....PLEASE

38. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I realy dont see any good ones this yr anyways maybe blout, spiller noway the only one i like is murray from OK and hes is iffy at times

39. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the Dolphins should:
    1) resign Williams & Brown
    2) get Cobbs on the mend & rehab him
    3) Hilliard on the rise (untested Cory Sheets?)
    4) M-Polite running through defenders like a raging bull

the the RunningStable is extablished & one of the best in the NFL
    don't see why we would do that @ this junction in our development

I do think the FrontOffice would deal w/ the Raiders for McFadden if the opportunity availed itself appropriately