1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel bad for Henne...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by krypto, Nov 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I feel bad for Chad Henne because his progress and rhythym is being delayed. Every other play is either him coming out/going wideout for the Wildcat, or the receivers are dropping passes that high school kids are even expected to make. So what do you thing so far about Henne?

SargeZ33, dolfan7171 and Bumrush like this.
  2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i think Hennes doing very well. hes proving he belongs out there. The problem for us in this game was simply that our WR are not very good, and it wouldn't be smart to try and win the game passing. the Wildcat was the better option in this game cause we're less talented than they are.

But next week, i expect Henne to be on the field most of the time.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  3. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    You are right but it's the FO that decided we could WC to another title.
    Chambers today 70 yards 2 tds.
    He wasn't good enough for us but KC is getting something out of him.
    **** the WC get some receivers this is not a running league

4. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I don't mind the WC in relation to Henne. Look at it this way it gives him a chance to take a play off get an extra huddle with coordinators and coaches to relay information. If it's going to be a run anyway he's out of the play. We're a running team. Why should it matter if he's on or off the field for a run.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    We never had a chance to get him.

6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    We need a Receiver that can catch.

dolfan7171, Miguel, Pagan and 2 others like this.
  7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The "rhythm" thing is ridiculous. It's not really different from running the ball or coming off the field between drives.

If anything, pulling Henne off the field at times have been helpful. Rather than him taking a time out, or dealing with it between series, if David Lee or Dan Henning need to speak to him or show him something,they can do so easily and effectively.

8. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The only thing that is delaying Chad Henne is the same thing that ******s our offense...the inability of our WRs to make plays...and I'm not talking like Larry Fitzgerald or old school Chris Chambers plays, but plays that 75% of WRs in this league make. Balls that are thrown right to them or take a simple adjustment just aren't being caught.

This idea that the WC is ******ing Chad Henne's progress is bogus in my mind. Our lone drive that ended in a TD was due to the fact of our WC/Spread/Pistol offense. We have the personnel to do it and we run it well. Our problem lately, just like everything else is poor execution. Today on the long sack of Ronnie Brown...Lex Hilliard was WIDE, and I mean WIIIIIIDDDDDEEEEE Open for a TD (Pat Cobbs vs. Texans style), yet we didn't block it.

We just aren't executing well on very many fronts, but I still believe the play-calling is there.

9. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I agree completely.

10. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'd love to see us limit the Wildcat so Henne can play. However, not this year. We need to use the Wildcat as much as possible until we get some real WR's in here.

11. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    No, don't feel bad. It only makes him a better QB. Givem the world and we end up with a Matt Cassel who expects everything to be easy for him after playing with a NE offense. Henne will be fine. I'm sure Henning and Sparano let him know exactly how much he's progressed and how well he is doing.

12. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

Henne has a **** situation he has no Wrs for what he has in theWR corps he aint doing bad

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I think he is doing a good job for us so far, its not his fault his WRs cant catch.

14. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    The passing game is all about timing as opposed to running the ball. It's just like anything else in life, you get a rhythm and you get comfortable. You get a feel. By the way, even Marino and Steve Young admitted that a rhythm is needed and Henne's rhythm is being hampered almost every other play. I'll take their word for it.

steveincolorado likes this.
  15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How exactly does the Wildcat hamper rhythm more than Henne handing the ball off? It doesn't. By the way, Marino wasn't one to like to hand the ball off, so take his opinion on the Wildcat with a grain of salt. He wanted to throw it as much as possible. LOL
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I think most of the QB's that say that are just using that as an excuse to cover up a "pride" sort of thing. It doesn't so much throw off rhythm, in my opinion, it just makes it seem like they aren't "the guy." I like Henne's attitude about it; it shows he's a team player. He was excited to see Pat White's big plays today...another QB that went in for him!

The biggest argument against the rhythm thing is his last drive on the MNF game. There isn't anything else he could have done that would have been better than that drive. It was as good of a final drive I've seen in awhile...in his second start. And in that drive, he got taken out two separate times.

17. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Here is the FACT about Wildcat. Defensive coordinators are so busy scheming to stop it that they have not been polishing the barrel of a gun while waiting on Chad Henne to arrive. Now add option to the mix of responsibilities the D coordinator must repitition. Every second taken away from scheming against Chad Henne is BENEFICIAL to Chad Henne and the Dolphins.

dolfan7171 and mbmonk like this.
  18. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I feel a little bad, but he's lucky to be playing, he wasn't supposed to. And I'm sure he knows we have WRs that can't compete with the elite teams.

19. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I think Chad Henne will be just fine and I don't feel one bit sorry for him or anyother guy playing in the NFL today. Some 300 guys doing what they love to do, play a game as a grown up, and getting paid great money to do so. I love it for them and wish them all well. We should all be so gifted and lucky!

As for team and stars let me just say one thing. On Saturday we saw a very talented ND team get their butts whipped by a TEAM put on the field by the US Navy. A true reflection of the word team imho that is instilled into these young men and women from the day they arrive until the day they die or are dismissed. Time and again we see the true meaning of the word team when we see these young people play and the only Star on the field is the Team.:up:

20. The Conch Shell Guy

The Conch Shell Guy Wildcat Expert

Oct 27, 2009
    Miami
    I dont feel bad for him because like everyone else said, there is no difference between him going out for a play, or handing the ball off.

I think its a good point that when he goes to the sideline for a play or 2 he can get a good look at the defense and go over some **** with the coaches and come out of the next huddle with a better idea of what is about to happen. Plus, he is being a good sport about it and not pulling a Mcnabb when Vick came to town. Henne is a threat and he will be exceptional once our recievers are a threat.

21. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Thats right, I forgot, all the choices made by the Dolphins are always correct and everyone else is always wrong. Im surprised fellow football fans dont realize its not just about taking the snap and throwing it, its all about timing and you get a rhythm. Everyone keeps saying that its beneficial because then the coaching staff can go over coverages or whatnot.....when has anyone seen the coaches talkin to Henne on the sideline during his time on the sideline during the wildcat. i havent seen it.....Again, if hall of famer quarterbacks say it hampers a qb's rhythm by taking him out every other play, ill take their word for it.

22. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Unlike John Beck who lost confidence when he was started before he was ready Henne is made of tougher stuff and he will benefit from all of the situations he is seeing and experiencing.

It will make him more versatile.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    disagree:
    Henne needs to grow into the position & fast.
    he's making too many mistakes.
    no excuses,
    he's had the advantage of a year & a half of preparation
    as an understudy to Pennington,
    knowing he was the QB to assume the franchise.
    The IceMan is beginning to look like the TrashMan
    over the last two games.
    Henne needs to get his act together

I don't feel bad for Henne :no: I feel bad for Miami.

When Pennington was behind center, they didn't make these mistakes
    or drop the balls, that is why it is important for Henne take responsibility
    & sort out the offense now. In 2009 he'll get a pass on the outrageuous
    but in 2010 we need the Franchise QB in full stride to contend.

no excuses, just get with the program & move the team forward

Miguel likes this.
  24. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I was at the Tampa/Green Bay game, and kept checking my phone for play by play. It seemed like every other play it said, "Chad Henne incomplete pass to Davone Bess". I was beginning to wonder if Bess we had more than one player named Davone Bess.

EDIT: Bess was thrown to 14 times, and caught 6 passes.

25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    is it possible that it is all about the change in QB on offense?

Who hasn't consistently dropped passes since Chad assumed the start?
    Our entire WR Corp has taken two steps backwards from last season.
    You got to wonder why?
    Is there a leadership or confidence crisis on offense?
    Could it be a simple matter of adaptation & timing?
    Or did Pennington simply make a very bad Receiving Corp look respectable?
    What ever it is, Henne has to work it out.
    He has to get on the same page with the WR's & TE's.
    Fortunately, he has the rest of the year to make it work. Time is his friend.

Henne must prevail or there is no SuperBowl run in 2010.

26. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    Bingo! On that last drive alone, there were plays left on the field that would have extended the drive -- one to Hartline, one to Ginn. And Bess has been hit or miss too. Henne, I believe, is doing a great job, but his receivers are really letting him down. Catch the damn ball!

27. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Wait a minute...are you blaming Henne for our receivers inability to hold onto the football all the sudden? Seriously?

Bumrush and gunn34 like this.
  28. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I'm saying they didn't have that problem with Pennington @ QB.
    Maybe they've all come down with the Swine Flu, but I doubt it.
    It probably has something to do with the current QB.
    My hope is that it is just a matter of time & Henne will prevail.
    GoFish!:dolphin:

29. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Henne passed for 200 yards against a solid defense yesterday on the road in his 5th start of his career. He also DIDN'T TURN IT OVER.

Is Chad Henne to blame for Ted Ginn dropping a game changer when wide open on 4th and 15?

Henne's growing into something special. People expect him to be Marino from day 1.

I'd take Henne over Sanchez or Stafford.

And I'm saying you're off your rocker if you're laying Yesterday's L on Chad.

Bumrush and DePhinistr8 like this.
  30. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    It is def not Henne's fault the O staggers. His passes have been right on the mark. Too many drops by the WRs.

31. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    why are there so many dropped balls?

that obviously is the question to be answered
    everybody is dropping the ball, not just GinnJr
    & Henne has not been on top of his game the last two outings
    there have been too many bad decisions made @ QB
    for someone who has been prepared for a year & a half to play

he's got to get his act together.

32. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    Because our receivers are less than average.

Are you watching the same plays we are? Henne is throwing some beautiful passes that are just getting flat out dropped. He can't catch it for them.

As I recall, Fasano and Ginn were both having problems catching consistently with Pennington early on this season.

33. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    You may be on to something here. Because half the passes I have seen Henne throw would have been thrown in the dirt or out of bounds by Pennington. Then WE would say "the receivers cannot get open." Henne is showing you that our receivers are about as open as they will ever get in the NFL but they can't catch it in the tight windows. Or maybe it's that the RECEIVERS have been trained by Pennington that unless you get seperation, I ain't throwing you the ball.

In any event, HENNE is hitting hands. The only thing more he could do is stick it in their facemask. Then again, maybe the defensive secondary could get it out of there before the receiver could reach to his own face.

Crappy Tipper and DePhinistr8 like this.
  34. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    The only thing you can possibly take out of that is the fact that Pennington didn't have the ability to make those zip passes that the receivers are dropping, and they don't have the hands to make those catches.

Henne, while not infallible, is not the problem on our offense. He's getting passes into tight spaces, and playing a very good game. If the Receivers can't hold onto the ball, there's not much he can do about that, as slowing the ball down for them isn't really an option a lot of the time. You WANT a QB who can get the ball off with a quick release, and enough zip that it's in the air for the shortest possible time.

If anything, I think you're seeing Henne make passes that Pennington probably could not have gotten off quick enough. And you're seeing attempts being made in situations where Pennington would have had to dump it off.

If the Receivers can't hold onto the ball, they need to be replaced. Whether its that Henne is firing it too hard or not. A LOT of those balls that are being dropped have been entirely catchable. We've got a QB who is deadly accurate with a few specific case exceptions. And a QB who can put the ball wherever he wants it. I don't care if that ball is flying at 200 mph, we need to find Receivers who can catch it.

While Henne is the common denominator, I really don't see how anyone can argue that he is also the problem.

I 100% expect us to go into the draft this season scouting receivers who will best complement Henne and his pass style.

35. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    as I recall we won a championship with these same people not dropping balls
    Henne is bright & talented, I'm sure he'll use this season to make whatever adjustments are necessary to be made
    but it is obvious to me he has to get on the same page with his offense before 2010
    I think he needs to take a page out of Pennington's play book & make it his own & I believe he will do exactly that

36. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    And we'd be winning games if they weren't dropping them now. That's not Henne's fault however.

37. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    so you think the entire Miami receiving corp is @ fault but not Chad Henne?
    whatever floats your boat. in the end, it is what it is
    the game with Tampa should prove to be a confidence builder
    by the end of the season we will have all the answers & a much better football team

38. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    My guess the FO isn't building for a title this year. It's about next year and the year after. Didn't Ireland basically say something to that affect when ask about JT before we signed him? He said they would look at him and they had to factor in that he would be taking playing time away from the younger guys.

What is the long term benefit of starting Chambers over Ginn or Hartline? We don't have a #1 and Chambers isn't a #1 so why bring him in? We have plenty of #2 that are younger and cheaper.

I am still extremely excited this year, but they are building for the future.

39. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008

Yes, yes I do.
    I also think the playcalling has been suspect.

Whatever happened to going out and just out-executing the oppositions defense? Why do we feel like we have to constantly trick the other team?

40. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    It doesn't particularly matter if it's the receiving corps or not.

Here are the facts.

• We do not have any A list receivers
    • We have a confident young QB who is showing lots of positives
    • Our Receivers are dropping Balls
    • Two of our Receivers (TE Fasano, and WR Ginn) have had this problem at the start of the season in the first 3 games with Pennington

Now you can take whatever you want to take from that list, but those are pretty much the way it is. So we will be flushing out the receiving corps, and we will be finding players who are better suited to play Henne's game.

You also forget that we made the playoffs last season by edging out the Brady-less Pats, and the Favre-Interception-Fest-Jets. That had more to do with them playing badly, and throwing the league on it's heels with the WC, then it did with Pennington.

How many games did we win with Pennington this year? Just saying. Our WR corps looked like crap for the first 3 games of the season, and they still look like crap. But that last part is just my opinion.