1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navy question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Miguel, Nov 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

Hey Guys as many of you know i was a USMC Lcpl. I have a brother who is 19 years old living in the States. He was Born outside of the USA and he is very intrested in Joining the USN. He had a few Questions about the Navy that i canrt answer considering i wasnt a corpsman or anything like that.
    His concerns if you will are the following

Weight.

Citizenship requirments

His first question is this. Is the Navy strict with weight and weight limits..He is not a fat Kid and he is in pretty Good shape actually But he does Weigh Alot he is a muscular Kid and practices Greco Roman wrestling he is about 5 feet 6inches Tall nd weights anywhere from 160-190. Im Not too sure..
    I Know that the USMC discharges people for being above weight. but im not sure about the NAVY

So my Question is this Does the Navy have strict weight requirments. Is everyone in the Navy a walking stick..

Question2 do you have to be a citizen of the USA to Join the Navy..
    Im not sure about this Question in the USMC i was allowed to serve and i am not a citizen.
    :up:

Answers would be apreciated.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    with the weight thing, it's all about his age. I don't know the numbers, but there's a limit. I went to boot camp with some pretty chunky 18-20 year olds, so i wouldnt worry.

Sign him up. My brother leaves for bootcamp next week.

3. Miguel

Yeah thanks... He is a little chunky but he is in goo shape exercises every day. i went ahead and looked up the Navy requirments. And you can go to Boot Camp if your over weight but you cant serve at least i dont think so

4. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I would think he would be able to get a waiver and then work it off in boot camp, there were a few guys underweight when I was at MEPS and they got waivers

5. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    They are the same as when you supposidly joined the Marines. For the exeption of ASVAB test scoring and wheight restrictions. By the way, its LCPL

mor911 likes this.
  6. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    zing!

LOL are implying that someone might be fibbing :pointlol:

SargeZ33 likes this.
  7. Miguel

Yeah i know Typo Just noticed it wrote this in a hurry..

By the way i know i was just wondering if they do it diffrently in the Navy.
    In the marines you can Get discharged if you dont lose the weigh required after boot camp. A friend of Mine in Bootcamp got tested for body Fat and then discharged because his body fat was 34% the required for Males is 23% i belive.
    And YES I WAS IN THE MARINE CORPS

8. Miguel

Yeah and i dont apreciate it One Bit

9. Miguel

By the way its spelled
    supposedly",

10. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    What was your MOS buddy?? Unit? Duty Station? This should be very easy to answer for a real Marine.

Now, If you were really IN, and went to Iraq. What was the training called that got you acclimated to desert warfare. As far as I know, we still go through it. Hint: Its in a huge base in California. There is a mound of sand we used to run up and down called "Sugar Hill".

mor911 likes this.
  11. Miguel

I was In North Carolina in Camp Lejune
    I was in Iraq for 3 years before Taking a Bullet in the Upper Leg.
    I Dont need to answer any Questions about wheter or not i served Sarge.
    The only reason i started this thread was to see if the Navy weight and citizens ship requirments were the Same As the USMC.
    When i was in Camp lejune i was in 1st Batallion 2nd marines division

12. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I don't think the Sarge is trying to challenge the fact that you served. You obviously went to bootcamp. But like most of us, Sarge probably had people in the Desert and maybe knows some people in your detachment (is that what they call 'em in the Marines? LOL) Either way, I don't think it's a ridiculous question. I was attached to an H3 Search and Rescue Squadron called VC-8 (Navy of course) - That didn't pain me to say. We lost a lot of crewmen too...

13. Miguel

The Whole Point of this thread was to see if the Navy weight requirments and the USMC weight requirments are diffrent so i could answer my relatives question...

But thanks

14. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    please tell me you're not one of those that dropped out after bootcamp? You seemed to know that really well LOL

15. SargeZ33

SargeZ33 Semperfi!

Jul 24, 2009
    Fleming Island ,FL
    No, I am challenging him. Untill he proves himself (and I dont think he can), He is disgracing anyone who has worn the uniform, and either died or had people close to them die in Iraq. I did loose a PFC in Iraq. I was his PMI while he was training at the rifle ranges in Stone Bay, NC.

We all became close friends for the 2 weeks that we were there. Knowing there was a chance that we would get deployed together, we all exchanged contact information. He was deployed to Iraq with his reserve unit in Greensboro,NC. He came back in a casket.

The feeling that you get knowing that even with all the training that I gave these kids when they came to me, knowing that unlike an active service marine they lack the amount of field time to have somewhat of an instict to not get killed out there. That feeling sits with you every day.

Also, people dont usually share stories like his with complete strangers, ESPECIALLY on the internet.

Fin Fan In Cali and mor911 like this.
  16. Miguel

I guess im the reincarnation of Jeffrey Huh.. Well you right i do agree with you it is a disgrace to LIE about serving. I have witnessed People die in Iraq the reason i put that down in the Out reach Forum was to get that out of my head because i was thinking about it alot. No one in Venezuela would Care so i figured people in the USA would have an intrest and form an Opinion i dont have to prove anything to you at all.
    Besides since one of my best friends died in Iraq before i signed up. I would be disgracing that Person

His Name was
    Daniel Nathan deyarmin
    He was from tallmadge Ohio We met throught the High school footbal progrm he was a lineman and i was a KR/PR. HE WAS MY BEST FRIEND..I would not be a jerkoff enough to lie to anyone wheter it be my girl friend or a complete stranger about something thatb serious. You can challnge me all you want but i served my country clearly you served as well. so I dont need to prove anything to a complete stranger

17. Miguel

No i did not drop out

18. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i dunno man. Sorry to play devil's advocate... But it took me 3 seconds on google to find half dozen sites and forums dedicated to helping folks like yourself (I use that phrase loosely) about the things you saw in Iraq. Forums that are far better suited for serious mental issues involved with losing brothers in arms then a Miami Dolphins Outreach forum. That coupled with you refusing to talk about your unit (or anything about your deployment to Iraq) really makes your story seem suspect. Just being honest with you. Every devil dog I've ever met has been very proud of his unit. VERY PROUD. Yet here you are willing to disclose intimate details of your friends death but won't rep your unit. C'mon man. WTF is this?

Now you're starting to piss me off.

Fin Fan In Cali and SargeZ33 like this.
  19. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    They do a body fat test for weight, not sure about the other.

20. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    What is a LCPL?

21. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    The Navy has weight requirements just like the Marine Corps. They are not as tough, but they have them. And this Camp Lejune is the same as Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Any Devil Dog that served would know the spelling was different.

22. tinytown50

tinytown50 Active Member

Dec 7, 2007
    montana
    I am having the same concerns as SargeZ33 and Mor911. I read the thread you created in the Outreach Forum and while I feel for you, I have my doubts. I not trying to rag on you, just saying what it is. I can nearly recite all of my Army units I have been with and thats with 12 years serving and two breaks of service off the top off my head. I was in Iraq for 44 months, maybe we crossed paths? I was at camp Anaconda from May 2003-May 2004 with the 912th Postal AG Co. as a soldier (got called off of IRR and that unit was not my choosing). Then back at Anaconda as a DOD contractor for KBR from SEP 2004-APR 2006. And finally at BIAP, Camp North and South Victory, and Camp Liberty from Oct 2006-Oct 2007. Now I am in the Air National Guard with the 120th Fighter Wing. As I said maybe we crossed paths. Where were at in Iraq and what times?

23. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    an E-3.5 maybe

24. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks for your service Brother!

SargeZ33 and azfinfanmang like this.
  25. tinytown50

tinytown50 Active Member

Dec 7, 2007
    montana
    Please do not thank me, thank my recruiter!

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  26. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I was delivering stuff for my marketing teacher. Ran into the recruiter in the common area, and my mom signed me up when I was 17.:wink2:

27. tinytown50

tinytown50 Active Member

Dec 7, 2007
    montana
    I was 17 also when I entered DEP. I was on it nearly a year before I shipped out. I remember counting down the days off the calender until I left for basic. My mom wanted nothing with me joining the Army, but I could not wait to join.

28. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I don't know what the differences in the weigh requirements are but I work in a joint service environment, I can tell you from experience that the bigger services are a little more patient with people who bust tape than the Marines. But with the economy bad and every branch easily meeting their recruitment and retention goals it's going to be much harder for someone to stay in any branch if they continually are below weight and PT standards. The big services are less inclined to try to hold onto people now b/c they're easier to replace. The Navy will be more forgiving than the Marines but will still give him the boot if needed. I've seen the Navy boot a couple of people I used to work with who were fat.

29. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The first place that came to my mind was NTC but I don't recall ever seeing Marines cycle through there.

30. Miguel

Lance corporaL