1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basketball tips

Discussion in 'Other Fantasy Sports' started by DonShula84, Oct 24, 2009.

1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I have a basketball draft in a 16 team league tomorrow. What positions are deeper than others that I can maybe get later? Not used to such a large league, so wondering how that should impact my draft strategy. Anyone have experience with large leagues have any tips/rankings they want to pass along?

2. Die_Nasty

Die_Nasty Well-Known Member

May 16, 2008
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Few questions:

What is the format? (rotisserie, head-to-head)
    What are the statistical categories?
    What position are you drafting in?

Anyone have room in a league for me? :P I have 1 friend other than myself interested in NBA :(

3. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    head-to-head
    drafting -PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C UTIL x2 and 3 bench spots
    stat categories are: Field Goal Percentage (FG%), Free Throw Percentage (FT%), 3-point Shots Made (3PTM), Points Scored (PTS), Total Rebounds (REB), Assists (AST), Steals (ST), Blocked Shots (BLK), Turnovers (TO)

So pretty standard stats/positions.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont really think theres a particular position thats deeper then others though i do think SG is a little more shallow and Center a little deeper then usual but I wouldnt overvalue or undervalue either position right now.

I do have an extensive list of sleepers or guys who should improve significantly on last year at each position. At each position I can give 1 player who I think will improve significantly and represent value in the middle rounds, one in the later rounds, and a sleeper who you probably havent heard much of for very late :)

PG:
    Tyreke Evans: I love watching this kid. He was the best players in this years draft for this year as he comes in to a good situation. His turnovers will be high but hes going to have a line similar to Derrick Rose last year...something like 16-6-6 with a below average FG and decent FT%. He should be an adequate contributor in the D stats as well. Round 8-9 or later he becomes a very good value. Next to Kevin martin and developing bigs like Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes he should get a fair amount of assists.

Russell Westbrook: He had a good rookie season and now hes got James Harden to add to his extensive list of weapons to distribute the ball to. Look for him anywhere from picks 65-85 (round 5-6) unless the PG's fly off the board.

Toney Douglas: Last year Chris Duhon wore down in the second half of the season. Early on KryptoNate will try and take some of the load off him but eventually when they realize he is not a PG Douglas who has impressed in camp will be the guy to get the backup PG minutes. Youre looking for him the last round or two as I think he could take Duhon's job by season's end if Duhon wears down again.

The wildcat is Kirk Hinrich and if he gets traded. He could be a swipe later on if youre willing to hold him for that reason or if you just need a cheap source of 3's and assists. Im also shying away from Ramon Sessions as hes looked out of sync all preseason and Im not sure this is a good situation for him but not bad for Jonny Flynn. Also watch for Ty Lawson. If he goes to a PG needy team or anything happens to Billups hes looked awesome.

SG:
    Eric Gordon: With the Clipper big men healthy for now his shot attempts could go down a bit but he brings a solid game across the board including contributing in the defensive stats. Good %'s, plenty of points's and 3's and a little of everything else sprinkled in. In a league this deep youre looking for him around picks 50-75 (early 4th-late 5th)

Courtney Lee: Someones got to score for the Nets besides Devin Harris and Brook Lopez and he and Chris Douglass Roberts (more on him in a bit) are going to get first dibs. Lee brings a good game across the board and could be a nice value after round 9.

Anthony Morrow: I absolutely like this kid a ton if the crazy nut Don Nelson gives him the minutes. He is a lights out shooter and a 3 point machine. He had the guile to challenge Reggie Miller to a 3 point shooter and hes good enough that I think he would have won at this point. Regardless this kid is a good basketball player. Ive seen him go in the 150-180 range

The wildcard here is Gerald Henderson who may get starters minutes later in the year.

At SF I really like Michael Beasley. I think he could see his stats balloon to 17-8 if he could maintain the consistency he found over the last 15 games last year (18-9-1 3pter-1 steal) His FG should be ok but his FT is average. Still pick 100 (round 7) or later and I say go get him.

Rudy Gay: I really look for big year from him in his contract year. Its a magical word for players. While AI and Z-Bo will affect his shots this means he could be a better pick then the overdrafted Josh Smith for defensive stats and could positively impact his FG and FT%'s. i found him around picks 55-70 in the 3 drafts I did which puts him anywhere from early 4th to mid 5th and imo hes a nice value there).

Chris Douglass-Roberts: The NBA's 8th leading scorer during the preseason has solidified a starting gig at SF for the Nets. Id expect something like 12-4-4-1stl-1block from a hustle player. His teammate, rookie SF Terrance Williams is another player to keep an eye out for. Dont shy away from either player after round 11 as I think its low risk, big reward here.

Stay away from Charlie Villanueva early as hes already hurt and I dont like the situation Detroit has going from a fantasy standpoint. Im also shying away from Luol Deng for similar reasons though if theyre on the board later then they should be (after pick 128/rd 8) then the risk is lowered to where it makes sense and could end up being a heist. Also in case you forgot, McGrady is already done (or at least out until the ASB) following microfracture.

At PF I cant stop gushing about Jason Thompson. He plays for the awful kings but this kid is good. 15-10-2blocks with great FG and sufficient FT is within reach. Around pick 110-130 (late round 7/round 8) is where youre looking for him.

Yi Jianlian: Ya another Net. What can I say, Rod Thorn has a good track record so who am I to doubt him? And hes done enough in the preseason to legitimize me picking him. I could see him elevating his game to something like 14-7-1three/steal/and block per game. Pick 150/late 9-early round 10 or later

Shawn Marion: While I dont believe he will ever be the Matrix of old I think dallas is a very good situation for him. Hes no longer worth a 1st but I think he could have a similar line to Rudy Gay and possibly be had later. he went rd 5 in 1 and rd 6 in 2 of my leagues so youre looking at him anywhere from 70-85 late 5/early6.

I stayed away from Rasheed Wallace as I felt he was overdrafted in a lot of leagues and his minutes will be declining. I also felt Elton Brand was too big a risk to justify the 2nd and 3rd round selections Ive seen him get. Tyler Hansborough could be a solid double double guy late in the year and Id look for him in the last round or two

Roy Hibbert is my breakout center candidate. The Pacers are shallow on the frontline and hes been a triple double threat a few times this preseason. He should be a solid double double guy and have some sweet block lines. Fouls are a concern but his reward outweighs his risk. Round 7 or later

Greg Oden has officially won the starting job today meaning he will see less of the 15-18 minute nights and more of the 30 minute nights. Ditto Joakin Noah. Both are high FG/LOW FG types who give average point totals (with upside) but could have excellent rebound/block totals. Look at them in the round 8-9 range

Darko Milicic: Yeah laugh all you would like but D'Antoni's offense is best suited fo his game. As a jump shooting big who sees the floor well he could flourish in this fantasy friendly offense. Dont shy away from him or other Knicks based on reputation, D'Antoni's offense is the Coors Field factor of teh NBA and inflates stats like crazy. Round 12 or later and hes low risk.

If emeka Okafor stays down for any length of time pounce on Hilton Armstrong who could give you more of the same as Noah and Oden if given minutes though less points.

DonShula84 likes this.
  5. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Ok, Just finished the draft. Of course I had the 16th pick. Let me know how you think I did. I did take your advice on a few players late, and had a couple others get taken right before my picks (the NYK players especially).

PG - Jason Kidd
    SG - Jason Richardson
    G - Jason Terry
    SF - Ronnie Brewer
    PF - Al Jefferson
    F - LaMarcus Aldridge
    C - Okafor
    C - Hibbert
    Util - Jason Thompson
    Util - Brandon Rush
    BN - Anthony Morrow
    BN - CDR
    BN - David Andersen

6. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Its not bad at all for a 16 team but theres a few things Id tweak. You are loaded with bigs, I would look to move one, probably Okafor since he an awful FT shooter and doesnt do much besides FG/Rebs/Blocks for a PG. Terry is listed as PG but he doesnt do anything in the assists column. You also need to hope Morrow or Rush can hold their starting jobs or you will need to find some 3's also. Im not that familiar with David Anderson but Earl Clark, Gerald Henderson, Donte Greene, Antoine Wright, Joe Alexander and Carlos Delfino (suspended 1 game) are a few names that you should be ready to pounce on just in case. Brewer's steals are a necessity but if you can find someone to give up steals he should be pawned off on someone who is overvaluing that stat or desperate for help there. Hes simply not that good for fantasy though he does do some things well so he wont hurt you much while you have him. Also see if someone overvalues kidd and/or Jefferson and if they can be traded for multiple studs I wouldnt hesitate but thats a big if. Quality depth will win you a deep league like this more then top notch star power will.

DonShula84 likes this.
  7. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I didnt want to overpay for my 2nd PG, then by the time I looked up they were scarce. I figured Terry will be a nice source of 3's, and I might have to punt on assists. Looking at it now, I am deep w/ bigs. A few people seemed to have gone the other way, so I'll see about pawning Okafor off for a good PG. Hopefully Okafor can help me enough with blocks if I have to hold him for a bit.

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    its a good idea if he werent hurt. Pawn him off before people realize it

9. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I actually got offered Okafor for Bogut and Blake. Not sure Blake gives me enough help to pull the trigger. Going to shop around for a better PG straight up. But Bogut and Blake on my team vs Okafor and Andersen, might not be a bad move. There are FA options I can dump Andersen for though

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Dump Anderson for Ty lawson ASAP. Stay away from Blake, time shares are something you try and stay away from as much as possible. Jarrett Jack may be another guy to look at if hes available but his minutes will be shared as well. Hes essentially a similar player to blake.

Also Id reject that trade. Bogut and Okafor are similar in risk and Okafor blocks more shots. Blake doesnt offer you much. But I wouldnt wait too long on Okafor.

11. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah, I rejected it last night. And Lawson got drafted unfortunately.