1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asian leaders eye EU-style bloc

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by Eshlemon, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Eshlemon

Eshlemon Well-Known Member

This could be more of a PoFo thing, please move mods if thats the case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8323742.stm

Wow, this would be a (the?) dominant economic power in this century.

If the EU has an Euro will an AU get an As?

2. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Theyve been in talks for this for years. Africa and South America are also considering this. The US is very worried due to vast resources that they will have a regional monopoly on if this goes through.

3. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    They have a lot more issues to resolve before they'll be ready to merge like Europe has. There are several transnational disputes in that area and they have a problem child with North Korea.

One of the things about Europe also is that it allows much more cross-migration. A citizen of Spain can get a job in Norway without a lot of documentation issues. I don't think that Australia, Japan, and South Korea would be keen to having their borders open to mass immigration from India and poorer sections of China.

Africa may get to that point in another century. It isn't feasible there. For example, if the economy in say, Kenya, were to suddenly pick up they would have an influx of refugees from anywhere within a week's travel distance. Beyond that, what do they have to sell each other that each country doesn't already produce itself?

South America, maybe. They have to get their politics in line. Could you imagine Hugo Chavez as the leader of the entire continent (shudder).

4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Actually ... none ;)

5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Where have you been? BTW, have you seen that article that I had posted as a VM?

6. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Been awfully busy with a new job :)

Yes, I saw that but I didn't get around to replying. Sorry. And thanks for the article. I really found it quite interesting.

7. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Congratulations and no problem.