1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dominating local bands?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Phinvader Bill, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    I'm sure wherever you go, you'll find a local band or two that is absolutely loved by the locals.

I'm originally from Florida and there were 2 local bands that dominated the area in Orlando, Tampa and Brevard County. Brevard County was Dead Serios all the way. They were a punk/metal comedy band that put one a hell of a show with songs like No More Pipe For Potato Head Peanuts are Evil, I Wanna Force Feed William Cruse, Butterbean Queen, People Need Ozzy and many more. Brevard County and the rest of Florida was Stranger Country. Florida has never produced a better band than them. Great songs like Swamp Woman, Hit n Run, 3D, Wrong Side of the Tracks, Thunder Bay, Okeechobee Wiskey, She's a Dancer, and many more classics. That died 13 years ago today when Ronnie Garvin, Stranger's guitarist was found dead. I remember the date because my daughter was born on 10-10-96 and I got the news on the radio when we were on the way to the hospital. That became known as 'The shot that broke Florida's heart.'

When I lived on Hilton Head Island, the most popular band out of that area (HHI, Bluffton, Savannah) was (probably still is) Silicone Sister, an 80's glam metal tribute band. They dress the part complete with makeup, leather and spandex and put on a hell of a show.

So, what are some dominating locals in your area?

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Dr. Dog

http://www.myspace.com/drdog

The Spinto Band

http://www.myspace.com/thespintoband

The Teeth (now defunct)

http://www.myspace.com/teeth

Mini Band (now defunct)

http://www.miniband.com/

Portable Folk Band (now defunct)

http://www.portablefolkband.com/music/

Anything listed underneath this record label

http://www.copyrightrecords.org/?id=30bbb&s=eBlog

To name a few.

I highly recommend Dr. Dog and Portable Folk Band. You can download (free, legally) PFB's music on the link I posted. I played a few shows with Dr. Dog while they were under the name Raccoon, which had slightly different personnel and music. I went to high school and played with the guys from PFB and Mini Band.

I couldn't really get into Mini Band, but they're old friends, so I send their stuff out whenever this kinda topic comes up.

3. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    alot of the "local"local bands never really amounted to much here but there were a few like the mad hatters and cowboy junkies(both rock music) that were really popular here and turned out decently(nothing major but they made it out of the clubs here). wayne toups is from around here and i believe lil alfred(zydeco and swamp boogie).

as far as well known bands lets see there was acidbath out of the monroe area that the local kids loved(death metal). i used to drive into new orleans from baton rouge to check out eyehategod and a few other bands that all had a member form the group nola with pantera's lead singer who was also from the new orleans area.

311 and widespread panic used to always play at the chimes in baton rouge who were both big favs of the locals there but im not sure where they are from originally but mustve been close cause they were always playing there it seemed.

i lost touch with the music scene here when i quit jamming and hanging out with that crowd.

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

311 is from out west IIRC.. yup, omaha. ok so that's midwest...

m ino likes this.
  5. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Ah but the Cowboy Junkies are very Canadian, so..........it's all still an enigma.

6. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Le compt. Been around forever. Did a video with a youn Pam Anderson under a different name

they play almost everything lots of hard rock

www.lecompt.com

anlgp likes this.
  7. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    did not realize 311 were from outwest.they played in the baton roug area an awful lot at the time i was there so just assumed they were from the area.as far as cowboy junkies im pretty certain they are from the southwest louisiana area.i know for a fact that some bands claim to be from other places whether that be to keep the wierdo's from showing up at their family member's houses or they relocate to get a better chance at making it and call that their "hometown".

back to cowboy junkies the band i know by cowboy junkies couldve changed their name as that tends to happen alot when a band first starts out playing at friends parties or whatnot then get offered a record deal and find out that some other band in some other town already has that name. black sabbath went through several name changes in the early part of thier carreer first being know as polka tulk(sp) then quickly changed their name to something like earth only to find there was already a band named earth.

8. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    Matchbox 20 came from Orlando where they were called Tabitha's Secret. They were good then, but didn't come close to touching Stranger.

9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Dr. Dog is great. Cowboy Junkies were pretty good. I loved their cover of Sweet Jane.

As for the S.F. Bay Area, we have been blessed with a ton of great bands. Metallica is from S.F. Green Day is from Berkeley. Punk legends Rancid are also from the easy bay. My friend's band (Disgust Of Us), is doing pretty well right now after the two lead singers had their first kid, resulting in a hiatus. Back on the scene though and playing gigs throughout the bay.

anlgp likes this.
  10. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Way back when (late '80s), a band called Slave Raider was pretty big here in the Twin Cities. Maybe another one of the old guys on here might have heard of them.

The Gear Daddies, Tim Mahoney and the Meanies, and Semisonic (before they got national), were pretty big in the 90's here.

Nowadays, there's a local band called Hairball. They are a 80's impersonation act, the best I've seen, and they play almost exclusively in MN. Every show they do is a packed house, and it's a fun, fun time.

http://www.hairballonline.com/

11. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Well, there's this band called Livesay....:wink2:

anlgp likes this.
  12. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia