1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop the run and make Chad Henne beat us

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LikeUntoGod, Oct 8, 2009.

1. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    That has to be their game plan.

However I'm sure that was the Bill's game plan.

The way they love to blitz I'm sure they will run blitz.

Chad Henne will need to be ready to get the ball off quicker on Play-Action passes. The Jets only have 4 sacks but they do have a lot of hurries and QB hits. So they will be coming.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. finz810

finz810 Season Ticket Holder

our O line gave 6 sacks up last week, we better not play action or Henne will get smacked before he even pulls the ball out to throw

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think our defenses have the same gameplan. thankfully we have a running game that we can rely on

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    If we can run some effective screens that could keep them honest.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    If they do happen to stop the run and try to make henne beat them and henne goes on to succeed....man we've got a good team.

Xeticus and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Didnt a kid from Pittsburgh make a Ryan's Defense look foolish?

Just sayin'

7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The Jets are a much better defense than the Bills.

Of course they want to stop the run and make Henne beat them.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  8. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Lets not comapre the Bills D with the NYs D

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    SCREENS WILL BEAT THEM..

From all Ive seen they rush the edges alot and use their corners to cover up..
    If we block and use quick screens and the run we can move the ball almost at will.. Once they load up the lines pop a few deep in crossing..

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Jets d is pretty good ,were in for a tough game.

Agua and dolfan7171 like this.
  11. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Just throw the ball to #23 at least a dozen times.....he'll do the rest

Xeticus, Fin D, gafinfan and 7 others like this.
  12. finz810

finz810 Season Ticket Holder

short slants to Camarillo y Bess and the run game will open up, especially if we can get play action to work

dolfan7171 likes this.
  13. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    A much better defense and offensive line. It might be a rough game if we can't run the ball.

14. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Can someone help me remember the last time we ran a successful screen play? I was trying to remember as I read through this thread.. with no luck..

15. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Last one I remember was the 80 yard TD to Cobbs vs. the Texans last year.

cnc66 likes this.
  16. GRT8

GRT8 Premium Member Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    OMG! I was thinking the same thing! :knucks:

cnc66 likes this.
  17. GRT8

GRT8 Premium Member Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    I think you will see more formations with both backs in the backfield and a little more of Cobb in the passing game. Number one, better options out of the backfield & more blocking options. I can see more flood routes too. It will be a game of keep away like the days in the schoolyard with a shot here and there.

Play of the game- ronnie in the wildcat, passing to Patrick C in a crossing route-
    I can see that happening around mid field. TD

cnc66 likes this.
  18. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    It is the game plan...

The twist is that Ryan's defense is pretty complicated (remember the playoffs last year). He can bring pressure from everywhere or nowhere.

The best way to beat our defense is to screen pass and to get the ball out of there quickly. That takes a quick read, a quick release and a really good QB. Not saying that Henne is can't be that guy, but my guess is he is going to struggle.

The thing that I am interested to see is how much the Dolphins rely on the wildcat formation and what Ryan does to defend against it.

To me, it seems pretty obvious, he isn't going to throw it so crash the line, maintain the gaps and just pull down the running back. Of course, on the field the Dolphins are pretty good at it and can pick up yards.

BZ

Dorfdad likes this.
  19. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree with alot of what you say however I think any new wrinkles in the wildcat are brought out this week. it's a real pivotable time in the schedule right before a by week as well. 2-2 vs 1-3 means the difference in a playoff run and a top pick in the draft honestly.

I expect ronnie or ricky someone to PASS from the wildcat this week. I expect Henne to catch a pass lined up as a receiver or something like that which we have not seen.

I think if we can control the ball and establish a run at any cost we can win this. Were not built for shootouts.

Also look for our TE's to be a big part of the gameplay this week.

20. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    It would add something to the play, that is for sure. I remember when Ronnie threw it for a TD last year against the Patriots.

That being said, there is a lot of tape on the wildcat now, and I think Ryan defended against it pretty well in the playoffs last year, so I am not too worried.

Don't be too surprised if the Jets break out a little *****cat as well, maybe just for flare. We ran two in a row against the Saints (at least Sanchez wasn't able to throw a pick in that formation. :) )

BZ

21. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I was at the game against this Bills this past Sunday and I rewatched the game yesterday on my DVR.

We converted a 3rd and 11 screen to Ricky. And I think we converted another 2nd or 3rd and long screen to Fasano.

22. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I'm not the best X's and O's guy, but I'm pretty sure that Rex Ryan likes to do a lot of stunt and zone blitzes which could result in disaster INTs against quick slants.

I'm real worried about the Jets Defense. This is the absolute last Defense in the league I want to be facing with an inexperienced QB.

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the game will be won on the line of scimmage
    the Orca-5 will man-handle the jet defense
    & the Tandem from Hell will run all over them
    24/6-Miami:party:

24. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    I'm with you. For the life of me, I can't understand how we can run a screen so badly. I see other teams do it all the time and wonder why in the world we can't run what appears to be a very simple play. But when we do it, it just looks awful and is never too successful.

25. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure we will see the Jets focus on stopping the run.

What I'm expecting is them letting us run a lot, then forcing us to kick FGs in the red zone. Bend-but-dont-break IMO.

26. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Chad Henne 'opening up' those running lanes :lol:

Forgive me. I couldn't resist.

27. DolfanCole

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    This would work if you're Indy, but not the Jets. They just aren't explosive enough to allow us to control the ball and the clock and then outscore us with what time is left. I would love to see the Jets do this.

jetssuck likes this.
  28. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    You are way off... there is no "bend no break" in Ryan's playbook.

BZ

29. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I'd actually think we'd run out of our base offense more.

Yeah because the Dolphins would be ****ty at defending a formation they excel at.

Unless we're talking about when Rex sits down in a chair:he says: "Dont Break Dont Break Dont Break.

jetssuck likes this.
  30. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    Maybe they should focus on tackling... you, so a quick screen pass doesn't run for 40 yards and a TD.

You are right, your offense did so well against Rex's defense in the playoffs last year.

BZ

31. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    Is anyone else getting tired of this guy repeating himself over and over again?

32. DolfanCole

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    All due respect, but the Jets defense does not have the talent that Baltimore had last year. That was the difference. It wasn't the scheme. So just having Ryan as the coach doesn't mean much. You have to have the players.

33. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well actually if you look at it talent is not the key factor it is actually Ryan. I do think the Baltimore D has more talent than the Jets but which is the better defense this year? Baltimore is giving up 18.5 points a game this year and if not for a 3 point hold down of the mighty Browns offense it would be 23.6 points a game. The Jets on the other hand are giving up 14.25 points a game. Plus the Jets have played better offenses. Out of the Jets first 4 games they have played some of the best offenses in the league...New Orleans, New England, and Houston...with Tennessee being the only weak spot. The Ravens have played Kansas City, San Diego, Cleveland, and New England. They have two 0-4 teams on that schedule to New York's one, yet the Jets defense has been better. With all that in mind we have to give credit where it is due and Rex Ryan obviously knows how to run a defense.

34. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    I have been in multiple threads, trying to have real conversations about the upcoming game, discussing defensive and offensive strategy. Some poster here, always want to bring it personal and rely on smack. I get it, your 1-3.

See below. We have better corners, a little worse safety (but not much) a better nose tackle, very good LBs.

Again, Rex is about the system, not the players. It will be interesting to see what he dials up for Monday.

Agreed (x2).

Now we get Calvin Pace back and that will help with pressuring and sacking the QB. We have brought pressure, but with overloads, now we can let him go get the passer.

Not sure he will be 100% this week, but watch out in coming weeks or during the rematch.

There is a worry at CB if Lito is still out, but the two backups have actually done a good job. Lowery is showing he can be starter (and probably will be next year).

BZ

35. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    If he hasn't had his regular dose of steroids in a while, I'm sure he isn't at 100%.

36. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida

I hate screen plays and also 4 yard curls to the running baks.

Man up and run the ball and if throwing to a running back, hit him in stride going down the field.

The Jets only have 4 sacks so funk them. Pound them with the run unless we are down by 10 points or more. They will also try to run blitz but that can turn into a 60 yard touchdown run.

And have Henne get rid of the freaking ball faster.

37. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Sure there is. We have a clear advantage in the run game. They aren't going to stack the box, I can guarantee you that.

38. DolfanCole

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    That's why I said Baltimore last year. Ryan stole some of his players and the Ravens defense has declined.

39. DolfanCole

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    I'll give you the corners, but that's it. I think Ngata is better than Jenkins; the Ravens LBs of last year are better than this year's Jets (counting the move of Bart Scott as a common factor); and you can't get much better than Ed Reed (plus a common factor in Leonhard).

Scheme does have a lot to do with it, but you also have to have the players to run the scheme. I'm not saying the Jets defense is bad. Not at all. What I am saying is that this year's Jets defense is not as good as last year's Ravens defense IMO. With the same coach/scheme, the difference is the players.

40. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    they can't beat us in the trenches
    they can't stop the run
    they will lose
    Henne will be just fine