1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is getting out of hand.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SICK, Sep 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    "the princess and the frog"

first disney movie with a black lead character.....or something like that....

cool.

but this is where i shake my head.......

from imdb.com

is this ****in serious?!?!!?

but if it were a white character and it was titled "frog princess" its fine?

oh and i guess cinderella being a maid, and basically a servant to her step mom and sisters is fine.....as long as shes white right?

this is a complete joke......when will it stop?

2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    takes more than 40 years to undue centuries of damage.

unluckyluciano and Fin D like this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    the nitpicking is ridiculous.......looked at under a microscope.

or its just new orleans.......?

its kind've hysterical actually

4. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Ridiculous. The only insult I would get from "The Frog Princess" would be she was French. And let's face it: the French deserve it. :lol:

5. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yeah, they should just change that movie's title to 'Walking on eggshells' 'cause that's what they're going to be doing until it's released. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will be walking the red carpet hand in hand for that one.:rolleyes:

6. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    This would be funny if it didn't come from the company that made the vilest racist manifesto in modern times: The Lion King.

opfinistic likes this.
  7. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Remind me to become prejudice against people in wheelchairs...

I love that movie!

As for the Frog Princess thing. Meh. I really don't have an emotion one way or the other. Disney is basically trying to not get boycotted by the black community and doesn't want the film to be labeled as racist in any way by them. I suppose the problem is, that once you start changing things, a few white folks will get offended on the flipside.

I find it hard to believe that any of us whiteys can be too offended by this though, right? If you really sit back and think about it, how does any of this offend you?

8. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    We're sick of being the 'Good Guys'. White is lame, haven't you heard? What color did Darth Vader wear? What color hats do the tough guys wear in Cowboy movies? What color is the sky when the vampires come out? Black = cool and sinister, mysterious, enticing. White = Marshmallows, whole milk and blank copy paper.

9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're right Sam. The fact that white people are never offended by racism (when it happens to us) is always a key element.

It is kind of ridiculous, but Disney wouldn't have changed it had they not had complaints. So in essence, they are not the ones to blame.

Samphin and Fin D like this.
  10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    im not offended at all. i just find it ridiculous disney folds to the pressure from the black community when it seems they are nitpicking and trying to find any little thing to change about a cartoon movie......

Jaydog57 likes this.
  11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    But I think sometimes all this sensitivity stuff just extends it or worse makes sure it lasts forever. I think we'd be better off just treating everybody equally and just let the world get used to that.

12. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They are a multi-national corporation. They basically have to bow down to stuff like this. Think about it from a business perspective - Many black people might boycott over this... how many white people will?

"A + B = X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Samphin and Fin D like this.
  13. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

A+B = **** that. grow a pair of balls. or in women's case a vagina.

it's not meant to be racist it's just a setting in a movie and a job.

jesus.

14. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're clearly not a fan of Fight Club.

15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    disney movies have a history of implied racism. its actually pretty funny.

edit: Having said that I think disney has a history of being progressive for their time, as progressive as that can be.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Meh.

The pendulum swings to each side until it eventually comes to rest in the middle. Extreme racism to extreme anti-racism, racism to anti racism, then eventually white folk won't freak out when the daughter brings home a black guy and the race card won't get played. It takes time, but it'll get there.

17. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    there's still a lot of social racism out there. a lot of social segregation. so we should get used to stuff like this. its still an issue, and the system has not yet righted itself. equality laws or not. i dont think it'll last forever, but i dont think we'll see the end of American racism in our lifetime.

edit: this is getting pofo-ish. and i can see you point, and agree to a degree.

Fin D likes this.
  18. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Does that really say Afro-Americans? Did Kramer right this?

19. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Okay bro I'll bite....

How?

SICK likes this.
  20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol This I want to hear.

21. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    I think he's just mad there were no Cubans in The Lion King.

22. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Must...resist...urge... to make...racially...insensitive....joke....

/head asplode

opfinistic likes this.
  23. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Of course it does. This is nothing more than manufactured self righteous indignation. If we ever hope to do away with racism then it's going to take honest discourse. And using guilt to manipulate isn't honest communication.
    The starting point for this sort of thing should be looking at intent.

24. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't understand how its using guilt to manipulate something, to point out something you think is racist. At one point hollywood was very racist. It is not using guilt to point that out if think it is still occurring. And yes it still occurs, don't believe me, it wasn't to long ago that most mexicans in movies weren't only gangsters or drug dealers.

siciliansith and Fin D like this.
  25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i thought thats what most mexicans were? thats what i see when i go to the movi.........ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh i see now

unluckyluciano likes this.
  26. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    for awhile i thought all white folks were coke heads since thats all I saw buying our drugs :shifty:

siciliansith, opfinistic and Fin D like this.
  27. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But then you remembered who genetically engineered those drugs to kill... oh riiiiiigght.

28. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    yeah way to go stoopids, that plan backfired.

HardKoreXXX and Fin D like this.
  29. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Meh, collateral damage is unavoidable... wat?

unluckyluciano likes this.
  30. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    you mean the movie about the evil latinos killing the nice white family

[​IMG]

:no:

31. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    He should have used poster phrase for his Campaign run in Cali.

32. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's funny, because I remember watching an old Jackie Chan movie where the white Americans were the bad guys and thinking it was racist as ****.

33. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Well again, I think the starting point ought to be looking at intent.
    And yes, I'm certain racism still occurs in Hollywood.
    However..
    Why did they choose to make the lead character a black woman?
    Is it reasonable to think that in this day and age, Disney decided to make a cartoon for the purpose of intentionally disparaging an ethnic group?
    The frog transformed into a princess or prince idea is benign and non racial in it's origins. How does it suddenly turn volatile and racist merely by changing the ethnic origin of the lead character? Honestly, we aren't talking about a non human primate here; we're talking about a frog.
    I can agree with the whole maid issue, if the household she is the maid for is white. However, the name change is really a stretch.
    But again, I believe that before someone starts crying foul, it would be wise to look closely at intent.

SICK likes this.
  34. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Well how do you judge ones intent? Thats a slippery slope bro. I can just as easily point out hollywoods past in this and dismiss it as another attempt at stereotyping a role.
    And I'm talking more as a whole, I don't care about this to be honest. I think too often these discussions are dismissed by some as mere attempts at guilt and honest discourse does not occur. :up:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  35. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    You're right; it is a slippery slope. There's no exact science. All you, me and everyone else have is our own ability to discern and reason through it.
    It's important though to at least inquire. Ask questions. Give someone a chance to explain their actions and/or words. Then decide whether or not you believe their explanation.
    In the end, IMO if we expect to make progress then at some point we need to try and give the benefit of the doubt when it's appropriate, rather than always seeing the monsters under the bed.

36. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    but at the same time as you give the benefit of the doubt you shouldn't be willing to bury the past. not talking about this, dismissing the peoples feelings and chalking it up to a guilt trip, is burying the past IMO and not being honest about what has occurred before. We assume that today we are far more progressive about race then we were, which I agree, it does not mean racism is dead, however. And it does not mean it is not possible a film company could release something that is in fact racist. We should not be too overzealous in our observation of such things as race, we shouldn't be afraid to ask if something is in fact racist either.

late again likes this.
  37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Great post and I agree. However, in this situation, Disney can't go out and ask everyone's opinion. So they play it safe. Again, I don't know that people actually complained, I think they just played it safe. That's part of Disney's mantra, safe. Let's not forget that we're talking about the company that puts on "The Not-So-Scary" Halloween Party.

late again likes this.
  38. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Hey...I'm making a new movie.

"The Totally Non-Denominational Humanoid Member of a Royal Family & The Amphibious Quadraped."

There...no one's feelings will get hurt now.

39. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Which car company do you work for?

siciliansith likes this.
  40. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Rumble in the Bronx?

If you thought it was racist, you should know it was shot in Canada (not the actual Bronx). After all, only white people live in Canada. :shifty:

SICK likes this.