1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami narrows focus of #1 selection... (yahoo sports rumor)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by brandon27, Mar 23, 2008.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Just something I stumbled across, didn't see on this board. Not much surprise to this but I hope it helps shift some of the focus back to football.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Miami-narrows-focus-of-No-1-selection;_ylt=AvNMxJltRbFCY_3xT3hiiRaL2bYF?urn=nfl,72900

2. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i think it will be either chris or jake long i will be happy with either

Loyal Fin likes this.
  3. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    Me too, dude. I just can't make up my mind which one I like more.

4. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    im with you. im torn. we really really need help with our pass rush, and we really really need help on the o-line. I think chris long is the safer pick, especially with the talk by alot of people saying that jake will end up being more of a RT than an LT. However, his leadership on that Michigan team with Chad Henne, is really something to take note of. With Zach gone, and JT's future still somewhat in question, leadership is something were lacking from our players too it seems.

5. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    How much leadership can be expected from a rookie lineman?

6. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    point taken. however its a character trait of a person. as a rookie it may not have much of an impact, however as a player gels with the team, and if he becomes a dominate player, it will eventually emerge in his personality and hold the team together and provide motivation etc, etc.

7. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    adamprez2003 likes this.
  8. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i am also torn i cant really decide i really like chris long love the guys motor and his heart and the guy is a gamer

i also like jake long just as much he would help anchor the oline with satele for a decade i am a florida gator fan and i saw what jake long did to the gator pass rush

i will jump for joy with either one the only pick i would not get excited about would be matt ryan i just think he is vastly overrated

9. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    the guy is a heck of a run blocker. no way mike hart would have had as many yards as he did without Jake. theres a reason why... i think it was about 85% of michigan's running plays always went to the left side.

10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Honestly I'm thinking its Jake Long.

Loyal Fin likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Mongo like candy!

Mar 23, 2008
    All I really want out of our first pick (or, well any of them) is that that they have heart and the drive to actually get better. You see too many crybaby lazy asses comming out of college in all sports now that don't wanna work for their paychecks or think they are just going to get by on their god given talents. what a bunch of overgrown two year olds I tell ya!

I would prefer Chris long for that reason, but when your as lousy as our fins were this year and they need so much it just makes me happy that we might actually have someone compitent in charge of our selections now.
    I for one have had enough of the years of wasted drafts.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    am i the only one who questions the leadership on that Michigan team last year, talk about underperforming, with all the talent on that team, it displayed inconsistency, lack of motivation with a heavy dose of egoism.

Especially that offense, Henne, Hart, Long, Manningham could'nt get it done. i'll take the other long.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  13. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    That's a good point. However, I think you also have to take into account how they bounced back from the 0-2 record to start the year, and they thoroughly dominated a very good Florida team in the Capital One Bowl. Chad Henne fought through some injuries this year, but according to a lot of people I have talked to, there is a feeling that he really matured as a quarterback this year. He finished the season with the best game of his career against Florida.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  14. bluegrassbubba

bluegrassbubba Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Bluegrass State
    If you take a look at the depth chart, where is all the OL players going to come from, we only have 7 on the roster, don't we usually carry 10 on the active roster, going into camp that should be more, it will be interesting which way we go, but looking at the roster, I think Jake, at this point.

15. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Looking at the roster and thinking Miami will take Jake Long is logical. However, it also ignores Bill's history when it comes to the draft. He just doesn't take offensive linemen that high. Back when he ran the draft for the New York Jets in 1997, he had the opportunity to take Orlando Pace with the 1st overall pick. Instead of taking him, he traded out of that pick. The next pick came up, and Bill had the opportunity to take Walter Jones. He traded down once again, and ended up taking James Farrior. This was despite the fact that he had Marvin Jones, Mo Lewis, Dwayne Gordon, and had signed Pepper Johnson at linebacker.

Jake Long may be a possibility, but as of right now, Parcells's history tells me it will be Chris Long.

From 2003-2006, the Dallas Cowboys were needing a right tackle very badly, but they didn't draft one higher than the third round during that time.

16. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Im torn between the chris and jake long as well. While i love chris long i am a little worried that he will never be a star and end up just being a very good player. While there is nothing wrong with that, its not what you need from the #1. However if i had to pick, i think id choose Chris Long just because i think you can still get a quality first round OT with the #32

17. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007

I agree but if you are going to say look at Parcells history and who he likes to take, you can't forget that Sparano is a former offensive line coach and it is the most needed for us as if we were to line them up today we couldn't even put out an entire starting unit without playing guys out of position.

18. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    Sure we could, take this line-up for example:

Carey, Mormino, Satele, Smiley, Wilson. Alternates: Darilek, Ndukwe.

Now, I'm not suggesting or implying that they would be good, just that we could start a full line with people in the right positions, barely.

19. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

i never thought i'd hear something like that from a buckeyes fan! :ffic:

Loyal Fin likes this.
  20. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I think you can rule out Ryan. I really don't think he's what the FO is looking for. More likely that they're just doing their due diligence (never rule out a potential franchise QB without giving him a good look), and perhaps trying to induce the Falcons, Chiefs or Ravens to move up for him.

21. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't know about that our dl was pretty horrible last year.

22. Idahophin

Idahophin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    I'm all for taking C Long #1, but I haven't gotten excited about J Long yet. Even though he is being ignored by our team I wouldn't mind taking Dorsey #1 if his knee is okay.

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Didn't Dorsey have some kind of fibula injury too or am I mixing him up with someone else?

24. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    The Tuna is doing what any GM does with the first overall draft pick...
    Blowing smoke!

I still cannot see him leaving C Long on the board.

Marino1983

Loyal Fin likes this.
  25. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    From what I've read, he doesn't have any problems with his knee, he supposedly has a stress fracture in one leg, tho. I believe it was reported that he had calcification of a stress fracture show up on an x-ray taken during his physical at the combine? Anyone else have more or newer info, please help us get all the right info.

alen1 likes this.
  26. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    I think the same thing is happening with Chad Henne. I believe they are doing their due diligence in evaluating the quarterbacks in an attempt to compare them to John Beck, but I'm not 100% convinced that they will take Chad Henne at this point. It certainly seems like he is a likely target though, but just like Matt Ryan, they may be checking him out just to make sure. Personally, if they don't believe he will be better than John Beck, they shouldn't use the pick on him.

alen1 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  27. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007

28. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I wouldn't mind any of the three mentioned. Frankly, it's way past time we invested a first round pick in a QB, but I just don't know if Matt Ryan is worth the first pick. Still, if they go that route, I wouldn't get angry, but of the three, I think I'd like to see Chris Long. We really need help on the D line.

29. emale2u1

emale2u1 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Maryland
    And the pick is ... Jake Long

The more I think about it, the more i believe the Jake Long is the player that is the highest demand by the top 5 teams. Why is that? It's because top OTs are so very hard to find and are 2nd IMO to QB in importance to a teams success.

Yes, a dominant pass rusher is a extremely important position well ... might very well be #3 on the list, but if you look at the top players at the position in the league, they can be found later in the first round or even in the second. I am hoping we won't have a top 5 pick next year, so the top OT will not be an option. If we do have a top 5 pick next year, that doesn't spell good news for Beck, so we will most likely have to draft a QB. That means if we don't take Jake this year, we will have to wait 2 more years.

If we are picking at 10 next year, there may still be a dominant 3/4 pass rusher available. And if not, we can take the top CB which will also be a need.