1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark Buehrle throws perfect game

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by King Felix, Jul 23, 2009.

1. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    crazy....just saw some of the highlights..is it wrong that, that crazy catch by wise gave me goosebumps?

GreenMonster likes this.
  2. JagsFan3223

JagsFan3223 New Member

May 11, 2009
    :smh: Watched the whole game

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Congrats to Mark Buehrle.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

So I watch Sportscenter this morning and they're talking up Buehrle's perfect game. Buster Olney is on Coors Light Cold Hard Facts (only a modest improvement over the Budweiser Hot Seat) and they ask him "he has a no hitter and now a perfect game. What is it about Mark Buerhle that makes his pitching style so conducive to throwing no hitters?" And Buster, of course, gives some nonsense answer about Buherle's ability to work fast keeping hitters off balance. I thought to myself, "I wish they had Rob Neyer or Keith Law doing that segment."

Interviewer: He has a no hitter and now a perfect game. What is it about Mark Buerhle that makes his pitching style so conducive to throwing no hitters?
    Neyer: Random chance. No hitters are so rare as to essentially be random. The fact that Buerhle is a really good pitcher makes him slightly more likely than another pitcher to have a no-no.
    Interviewer: (slack-jawed)

Interviewer: He has a no hitter and now a perfect game. What is it about Mark Buerhle that makes his pitching style so conducive to throwing no hitters?
    Law: Probably his really fast pitching style keeping hitters off balance.
    Interviewer: Really?
    Law: No, I'm just bull****ting you. It's random chance. You might as well ask a lottery winner what makes him so conducive to winning lotteries. It's ridiculous, really. By the way, here's a new recipe for baby back ribs with Asian BBQ sauce....

And that's why Sportscenter is a feeble parody of its once great self. Happily, they made up for it by showing the White Sox-Fan-In-Chief calling the CF "Weiss". It's not quite John Kerry naming "Eddie Yost" as his favorite Sawk, but still good.

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey that Buster Olney hit was better than listening to the radio about how Buehrle could be a HOFer now that he's thrown a no hitter and perfect game. I turned it off before the host started questioning whether Bud Smith and Anibal Sanchez are as well.

6. phunwin

Hey, Johnny Vander Meer has two no-hitters. Back to back! Maybe we should reconsider him.

$10 says that someone will push Mark Buehrle's Hall of Fame case with the "he just knows how to win games" argument, loosely translated as "I can find absolutely no statistical evidence other than playing for a team that had a good offense to support the number of wins this guy posted."

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    While I think Buehrle's quick style helps him to be more effective, I think pitching a no-hitter (or perfect game) is ultimately about stuff and luck. I wouldn't compare it to winning the lottery, because Nolan Ryan threw 7 No-No's, and those were def not random events.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Joel Sherman already is.

9. phunwin

Well, it's not like winning the lottery because there's better than a 1 in 30 million chance of winning it. And being a better pitcher will give you a small advantage in pitching one, but it's largely about luck.

Damn, that would have been the easiest $10 I've ever made; I was hoping someone would take that bet before a column came out. Oh well. :lol:

Sherman...there's a shock. The guy's one of the biggest hacks I've ever seen, and yet he's got a sweet job with the Post. "Hey, I know, I'm going to sit on my *** and invent trade rumors from whole cloth, chalk it up to informed speculation and get paid handsomely for it." Nice work if you can get it. He makes Armando look like Edward R. Murrow by comparison.