1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alphrazolam/Anxiety Question

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by anlgp, Jul 16, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

If you guys followed my "serious issues" thread about school you remember me being hooked up to an EKG machine for my heart. Turns out I suffer from panic attacks and was prescribed with Alphrazolam .25 MG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam which is the low dose.

They are "take as needed no refill" and I can't go over two a day. My question is the "take as needed" part.

If I'm normally, lets say, an A and B is when I start to feel panic-y but C is where I was when I went to the doctor originally (chest pains, etc) would you try and talk yourself out of taking a pill like I have before at B / "B and a half" or would you take the pill?

I understand they're addictive and that's why I haven't taken one in roughly two to three weeks but there have been a few times where I have felt like taking them I'm just not sure it was "needed". Do I let myself get to C or what?

:pity: :lol:

thanks!

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    my philosophy would be to use your judgment on the as needed part. You know as well as anyone when youre feeling a panic attack.

Personally I hate taking pills so I try and avoid it as much as possible.

I wonder if your doctor would prescribe yoga or message therapy? Maybe Ricky could help you :shifty: (I kid)

anlgp likes this.
  3. anlgp

they said i should go see a psychiatrist because i'm all emotionally wound up. Yoga could work.. I don't need a prescription to do that though :lol: unless of course him prescribing it could get me it for free... hmmmmm

femalefinfan and Boik14 like this.
  4. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i would give myself limits. i take 1/2 a xanny every now and then if i get stressed, but i try to keep that to once every couple of days.

you could try breaking the pill up into halves, and maybe just taking a half and having a beer or two.

dolphindebby and anlgp like this.
  5. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Part of the value of having the pills is just having them. Knowing that an emergency back-up is available at times of extreme distress. That said, my counsel would be B+ 0.9 or just before C. Only you will know where that is and perhaps in watching for those times you will learn something about yourself and your responses to stressors.

Finding a non medication release is also a good idea. Psychiatrists are about drugs, while psychologists/social workers/pastoral counselors, etc are about helping you talk through your issues. They might help you with your self awareness.

The two, drugs and some form of talking/physical activity are complimentary to each other. Neither is a substitute for the other.

Hope this helps.

anlgp likes this.
  6. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I self medicate and have gotten through anxiety with an old herbal remedy. But like stated above, I agree, wait until it's your only option.

anlgp likes this.
  7. anlgp

It does. I am a psychology major in school and am hoping it can not only help me professionally but personally as well. I'd guess it would still do me good to go see one but I am willing to bet (as a non-betting man) that it will help me out in some ways.

What is the herbal remedy? I'm all about holistic healing.

Boik14 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  8. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

There is a reason we test drugs on lab rats and in the old days on condemned prisioners. Self medication is a big risk and often takes a lot of trial and error. I am very happy for you Opfin, that you have found a level that works for you.

Anlgp, doesn't hunt for a silver bullett, there aren't many out there. Most "cures" turn out to be a combination of medication (perscribed and/or over the counter), therapy, and physical and/or mental excercise. Journal what you have tried as you are trying it so you can go back and figure out which things work the best and in what combinations. Make yourself your own personal science experiment. It will give you a sense of control over your situation.

dolphindebby likes this.
  9. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    This is what I do also.
    I know when a panic and/or anxiety attack is starting. I hold off to see if I am getting through it, depending on the situation. If I feel it's getting worse I will take 1/2 or a whole tablet.
    I try to work through them the best I can without meds, but sometimes prayer and my meds are all that help.

10. anlgp

OHHHHHHHHHH

lmfao you mean :king:?

King Felix and opfinistic like this.
  11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    As you noted, Alphrazolam is addictive, as are all benzodiazepines. Addictive as in, worse than heroin...to my layman understanding.

As a short-term solution to acute anxiety (I know, I suffer from it), they can be a godsend, though.

Did you talk with your Doc about longer-term solutions such as Buspar, which is specifically used in the treatment of anxiety disorder; or NDRI Wellbutrin, which also addresses depression?

12. anlgp

No we did not speak about long term treatment. All he told me was that I would get no refill because they are addictive and to take no more than two a day and only when I absolutely need to take them.

13. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I don't know about others, but my sister took welbutrin after she lost her leg and it made her deathly ill. It took me forever to get anyone to listen to me about it because I knew it wasn't her other meds.

My friend also used it and called me in a panic, scared, crying and just about to lose it completely. That all came down to welbutrin also.
    So, what ever you take be very careful. My Dr. stays on top of my anxiety/depression and monitors my meds carefully.
    Good luck, my prayers are with you.

For anyone who hasn't had this problem, it's real, scary and mind numbing at times.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  14. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I can sympathize; although I tolerated Wellbutrin well - it just didn't work for me - I did experience some scary hallucinatory side effects from an old-line anti-depressant (Imipramine) about 25 years ago.

dolphindebby likes this.
  15. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    I would seriously suggest speaking with a therapist in conjunction with the medications. A therapist can teach you relaxation techniques to utilize when your feeling anxious. That being said, as needed means as needed. Only you can decide when you can't cope with the anxiety on your own and need medication. However, usually when a pill is prescribed twice a day you usually take it every 12 hours. So I would definatley allow as much time to pass in between each pill as possible.
    Also, I would be very wary of mixing any antianxiety medication with alcohol. They both act like depressents on your system and it can lead to a serious addiction.

NaboCane and dolphindebby like this.
  16. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    :up:

20+ years of research has helped me reach Nirvana.
    :no: :shifty: :yes:

King Felix likes this.
  17. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I have panic attacks sometimes. I was on xanex for a while but have not been for over a year. Some things that help are plenty of sleep and regular sleep habits, nutritional balanced diet, avoid caffein and energy drinks, get regular exercise. Also check into breathing control exercises. Concentrating on your breathing to regulate it and slow your heart rate often helps when you feel an attack may be coming. Slow deep breathing in through the nose out through the mouth while focusing on a calming positive thought telling your self you are fine, it will pass. Sounds goofy but realy does work. It takes practice though. Try your best to make the pills last resort.

Talking about it is a good step in the right direction. When I first started having them I was ashamed thinking I was weak because I've always been able to stay calm in crap storms then all of a sudden I wasn't. Then I learned it is a natural reaction your body is having to various things going on in your life physical, emotional, chemical. It can be controlled and over come.

dolphindebby likes this.
  18. anlgp

Yeah I've been doing this for years.

19. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    what does my smiley and herb have to do with anything?

opfinistic likes this.