1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whale Wars

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by njfinfan, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Fin D likes this.
  2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I watched a couple episodes. Makes me wonder why no government or enforcement agency is out there trying to stop or check up on the whaling to make sure the Japanese are doing 'research'. For me it's just hard to watch something so big get killed...

Fin D likes this.
  3. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    I wonder the same thing and also who regulates the American vessel. I saw the commercial with the whale hanging off the ship. Very compelling.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Of course, we watch it.

While I find whale hunting, disgusting and wrong, I'm not a 100% behind the Sea Shepard. I like their message and actions, I don't like the lack of preparation that goes into their missions and their captain's ego.

As far as who regulates whale hunting, it is a dicey thing. There's an international ban on it, but there's a small quota system set up specifically for research. The Japanese take advantage of this and use the meat commercially, to the tune of millions and millions of dollars. They are clearly abusing the system.

Paul 13 and njfinfan like this.
  5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    The Japanese should be ashamed of themselves, so should the Norwegians for continuing this barbarism. I just wish that sometimes the whales would fight back.

Fin D likes this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    why do people need whale meat? is this the 1800s?

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, it's a great show, watched every episode of every season so far. Like Finascious, I'm not 100% behind what the Sea Shepherds are doing. Anytime they put their own people at an unreasonable risk, I just think that's going too far. But it is fascinating TV, well produced. Paul Watson (the captain) has a ton of experience but this guy Peter Brown (first mate) is a disaster. I wouldn't step foot on that ship with him anywhere in an authoritative position.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/meet-the-crew/

Ultra, njfinfan and Fin D like this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I would throw Brown overboard. He's a freaking idiot. He's the main reason I question Watson's ego. How do you have him 2nd in Command, when Hammer is right there the whole time.

njfinfan likes this.
  9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    "Ummm, yeah, I'll have the whale with a side order of Dodo Bird please."

-Some dude in the 1600's

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah, Hammer is very bright but I think he's loyal to Watson as well. That communications officer from S1 couldn't leave the ship soon enough though with Brown onboard :lol:

Fin D and njfinfan like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Can't blame him. The doctor from then wasn't particularly thrilled either.

My issue isn't loyalty to Watson, its just Brown is dangerously incompetent and Hammer isn't. Hell, I'd rather see the cute ex Navy girl take over for Brown.

Paul 13 likes this.
  12. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watch the show, it's great. I keep thinking, "if only an unknown submarine would torpedo the dirty Japanese ships to the bottom of the sea..."

IMO, here's what needs to happen. The U.N. needs to serve notice to the Japanese government that continued whaling disguised as "research" will result in sanctions and possible removal from the U.N.

To enforce the ban, the U.N. needs to put together a voluntary international naval force to patrol whaling grounds. Let the Japanese governement know that this force will have authority to detain and confiscate whaling ships, and have the authority to destroy vessels that are uncompliant. Having warships with the ability to destroy you will make you comply a lot faster than a ship with stink bombs!

Until then, I appluad the efforts of the Sea Shephard Conservation Society, and I hope that they are able to bring enough attention to this issue that the world will stand up and DO something about it.

Paul 13 and Fin D like this.
  13. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I think the issue is finding the fleet. I don't think any country is willing to dedicate the time to search all that area to check up on the Japanese...and even if they did find them easily enough I'm sure the Japanese would see them coming and stop doing anything illegal. The Sea Shepard really is doing all that can be done about it...filming the activities, following, and harrassing them. No other group is going to have the dedication to simply follow them until the end of the season.

Paul 13 and Fin D like this.