1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How improved are these Dolphins?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    How improved are these Dolphins?
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/06/how-improved-are-these-dolphins.html

Disnardo, PhinsRock, cnc66 and 3 others like this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO the pass rush, offensive line and STs have the greatest chance to be special this season. The Dolphins like to run behind the C. If KC Joyner's metrics are to be believed then Grove will be a significant upgrade. Add in the expected return of the very powerful Thomas next to him and we could be considerably stronger at what we like to do most.

Regarding the pass rush we added the CFL's MVP/sack leader and the NFL's active sack leader to last year's #8 ranked team (in sacks). Add in the expected progression of Roth and this unit should have enough firepower to move into the top 5.

The secondary has more talent than last year but much of it is young. We lost Goodman, who was playing excellent and brought in to very talented rookies. Wilson's addition should add intimidation and is a substantial upgrade at the S position. Overall, I think the pass rush is what will have the greatest impact on this unit's effectiveness.

The WRs are deeper and the best two (Ginn and Bess) should be making developmental leaps. I expect clutch plays from this group who last year had the fewest drops in the league, but the conservative nature of the offense will prevent them from having many eye popping numbers.

The effectiveness of the STs is largely dependent on the bottom of your roster. Last year, we weren't very good although we improved considerably over the second half of the season. This improvement was largely based on additions made during the season. That process continued during the off-season and I believe that the bottom of the roster is considerably stronger now.

the 23rd likes this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    nice post FriendRafeal
    agree w/ everything
    could have mentioned our RB Tandem

I like what I see developing in 2009 for Miami.:up:

4. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The thing that has me worried about our receiving and corner core is we have a lot of guys bunched together in terms of talent. We don't have a true #1 wide receiver and a true #1 corner. Thankfully, Parcells and company have drafted well and Sparano and company have coached well and hopefully guys like Vontae Davis and Ted Ginn can rise above the rest and be elite players in their respective positions. They both have the talent and I feel they can achieve pro-bowl status with hard work and determination.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks, are you referring to the RB tandem being improved b/c Brown will be another year removed from his injury?

6. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think Cobbs is the wild card there, and the extra gear right now. The defense is faster, and bigger which will make plays for our secondary. Our offensive line will be bigger, tougher, and smarter. The WR's will really have a fight in camp this year, and when could we really say that happened last? This team will be able to take the games to the other teams, rather then reacting to what is going on.:up:

the 23rd, PhinsRock and mullingan like this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Will Allen is definitely our #1 CB.

8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the most important thing right now is "who will be our #2 CB and who will be our #3 WR. Turner is turning heads (pardon the pun). Now that's without pads and young WRs have a knack for showing things when everyone is in shorts, but the group, as a whole, looks very promising. We could see a Cammy or a London getting cut...and clearly, for example, London was our #4 WR until Cammy got hurt...Is Wilford even going to make the team ??

As to the #2 CB, Green has shown he's capable, Davis wasn't drafted where he was to sit very long and at this piont, Smith is showing best of the three. At the very least, as the article says, the secondary will have a greater amount of talent since the Surtain/Madison hey-deys... Same with WR.

I am personnally more interested in the DL and LBer situation. Will Starks and Merling fill Holliday's shoes ?? Will Fergy hold together one more season ?? Will Soliai finally shed the stigma of under-achiever ?? Which of the younger guys (Wright, Cohen, Dotson) will shine thru ?? Will McDaniels be a backup NT or DE ?? Can he play the Starks role from last year ??

At LBer, we how will JT, JP, Wake and Roth be used ?? Can Ayodele hold us over until we draft a better ILB ?? Can Walden prove something ?? Are Torbor and Anderson able to show something or are they the next to be FO mistakes from last offseason ??

There are certainly more questions than those I've asked, (like how will the Henne/White battle pan out and how will White be used in the WC to expand the offense and will the OL come together as we all expect it should), but I'm really excited about things going into camp....

the 23rd and PhinsRock like this.
  9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    The team is finally stockpiling talent and improving overall. Its great to have depth across the board even though we are still thin in a couple of spots.

10. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Well, here's the way I believe we are much improved:

Continuity

At almost all positions, we have pretty much the same team as last year. Most of those guys were extremely young too and will only improve. I can't remember the last time we didn't shuffle the OL around. I can't remember that last time we had the same quality LT and RT 2 years in a row. The same quality QB 2 years in a row. quality RB. Our WRs can and will only get better with experience of being in the same offensive system.

Last year we stumbled out of the gate because of lack of continuity and chemistry. This year there is none of that for the first time since the Fiedler days (and as bad as he was, we were always competing in those days).

Couple that in with the fact that as all of you mentioned we've added much needed depth and I don't see how this team can't be better than last year.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area

absolutely, & Ricky will be on track after completing his return & shaking off the rust of inactivity.

Williams has a major motivation to run hard: targeting club all-time records that could be broken.

Ricky has plenty of tread left on the tires. He will surpass expectations.

the Tandem from Hell will burn turf, behind the run-block of the Orca-5 :up:

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think RW still has some left in the tank but I don't see much reason to believe that he'll improve from last year. I don't see how much more rust he would be shaking off now than from the end of last year compared to the fact that he's just older. Actually, I expect Cobbs to cut into his carries a bit this season. RB, on the other hand, is another story. There have been several backs that improved the second year after a major knee injury. I also see his role in the WC as pivotal until White develops, which might take a bit.

I do expect the running game to be better and Brown will be part of the reason, but I think most of the improvement will be due o the OL.

13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

D. All of the above
    E. Sparano and his staff are in their second season, smarter, camp runs smoother, players know what to expect, Sparano knows more about what he has in each player.
    F. Every player on this team either already has, or will quickly, buy into the system.
    G. We finally have an incredibly strong and physically fit team again, wins games in 4th quarters.
    H. Ireland and Parcells have churned the bottom of the roster to the point we have "competing talent levels".
    I. The koolaid tastes pretty sweet to me. :lol:

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if this is koolaid
    i'll have some:knucks: