1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield 3 Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by mor911, Jun 10, 2009.

1. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Not to be confused with Battlefield 1943, Battlefield Heroes, or Battlefield Bad Company 2. These are all 2009 games. BF3 is 2010.

Think EA is gonna run this franchise into the ground? No way. Don't get me wrong, I have MAD respect for DiCE and what they've done for the multiplayer shooter genre and base capture gaming. But COME ON. How much can we do? What's gonna be in 3 that couldn't be an expansion to 1943? Or vice versa?

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/06/10/battlefield-3-revealed-by-ea-coo/

Since 2002 they've released a new BF game every year. Now in 2009, they're dropping 3 (even though BF Heroes is free).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_game

2. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    What I want to see

Full combat - Land, Air, and Sea

Complete destructible environments

More realistic sounds, animations, weapon damage, and hit boxes.

I swear to god, they had better not release another game where a stationary .50 machine gun feels like a pea shooter.

Expand BF2's air combat. We need different munitions & capabilities. They need to give us a laser designated air strike that requires coordination between ground & air assets. This was supposed to be done with BF2.

Bring back ingame music for vehicles!

I am also getting a bit tired of the standard flag capture points/team tickets, I want some innovation from Dice!

3. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    This is getting ridiculous... I miss the days of BF1942 and Vietnam.

Phinz420 likes this.
  4. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Bird Bird Bird, the Bird's the Word!

dolfan32323 and TiP54 like this.
  5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Hope it goes back to modern combat for the PC. BF2 was a great game though buggy (Dolphin diving, FTW).

6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Vietnam FTMFW!

7. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    They got rid of Dolphin Diving with a patch quite some time ago.

I think I would prefer them going old school again. Unless they decide to bring back player controlled artillery(No, the Commander BS from BF2 does not count :lol:) I would rather it be set in an older period.

I am still shaking my head from their decision to eliminate artillery/mortars from the game. I always thought it was such a unique aspect of the game compared to most shooters(including ones with vehicles).

Most common players probably didn't get into it much, but when you get with a clan and use it properly on certain maps - it can be absolutely devastating. Often times the only way to stop a mortar team is to counter with your own mortars and figure out the distance they are at based on the trajectory of the round. A.K.A Counter-Battery....I think I wana install BF:Vietnam again now :lol:

dolfan32323 and mor911 like this.
  8. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    BF:2 is always installed on my current system

9. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I just wish BF2 had it's own full scale Desert Combat mod :sad:

<3 Cruise missiles

Project Reality is a lot of fun for me, but it strives so much for realism that the pace can be too slow at times.

10. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I still haven't tried Project Reality. Heard a lot about it though.

11. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Patience is big to enjoying that mod. Teamwork is required on most servers, as people get kicked from squads for going Rambo - and you are forced to be in a Squad otherwise get kicked from the whole server.

One of the cool features is that they separated the classes. Everyone starts off as a basic infantry type, squad leader, or medic. Then there is a system called "Quartermaster" where you ask for specialized kits like Sniper/Anti-Tank, and the special kits have a limited number based on the size of the teams.

You will hear bullets snapping when they hit the ground near you, there are concussion effects from HE rounds, you will need to control fire from some weapons via tracers, and players will bleed to death if not taken care of with limited health packs. The best part that I enjoy is the feel of the way the weapons fire. It's very reminiscent of America's Army shooting physics/mechanics is if you have ever played that.

APCs are used as mobile spawn points for the entire team & Squad leaders can spawn at any other Squad's outpost(which are built by squads for their own mobile spawn)...adds quite a bit of strategy to maps & there isn't as much relying on being able to spawn on top of your squad leader as it is in BF2.

They are so hell bent on realism, that...the Iraq maps even have devastating car bombs.

The reason patience is important - Long respawns for both players & vehicles. Players can die extremely easy(especially due to bleeding wounds) & vehicles can be disabled without actually being destroyed. You also need a specialized kit to do things like Drive an APC or fly a chopper, and in the case of flying the chopper...they even force you to build up rotor speed for a time before being able to take off. :lol:

/rambling_off

12. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    sounds 100% awesome

13. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    This is what I wrote in another thread.

Well put.

If you are in a good squad, with a competent leader, it actually feels as if you are there. Everyone on VOIP, following orders, covering streets as the rest of the squad crosses it....just great.

You can’t imagine how much fun it is to work as a unit with 5 others communicating with voice. There is a sense of accountability for your other squad members and a HUGE sense of satisfaction when you do something as simple as kill someone, especially considering the deviation with the gun shots. You have to pull up your sights (no x-hairs) and wait for the accuracy to settle. Also, you have control your rate of fire to maintain the accuracy, account for bullet drop, incredible really.

To give you another example of teamwork, there are dedicated chopper pilots. There is no feeling like being the squad leader, calling in for extract, puffing colored smoke for the chopper, watch it approach and land and load up your squad. Next, you tell the pilot the map coordinates of where you want to be inserted. Chopper drops you at your designated location, if you make it. Your squad then rushes out, goes prone, scans the LZ for hostiles, then you are on your way.

It really puts you in the battle.

It does require patience, and has a learning curve, but is WELL worth it.

I love PR. It forces strategy, teamwork, and patience. But, even if things are slow, you are usually setting up to defend a position, or moving behind enemy lines to flank.

It gets to the point where your squad leader ORDERS you not to shoot unless fired upon, because he doesn't want to give away the squad's location. Really, really cool game.

Project Reality is now moving to the C4 gaming engine.

http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/index.php

14. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    They're gonna make PR a shelf title?

15. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I believe it is going to be a downloadable, subscription based game.

Didn't really read too much into it, but it is all on projectreality.com forums.