1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano sees a lot of potential in Will Allen

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, May 29, 2009.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2009/05/28/a7c_finsnotes_0529.html

That's what he said referring to the Wildcat. :D

On a side note:
    Man, I really hope he's able to come back strong for this season, though those knee injuries really worry me. We'll see.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  2. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I just have a bad feeling about Cam. That injury just bugs me when thinking about it. He was never the fastest guy on the field, but he did have decent quickness. We'll have to see how it goes, but thankfully we picked up some more WR's this year.

3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

As much as I want Cam back, it wouldn't hurt to stash him on the PUP list a while and see what turner can do, or London, or this other new kid who's name escapes me, UDFA from Tulsa? He sounds like another Bess in the making.

I just want to be absolutely sure Cam is at 100% before he see's the field in a regular game situation.

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Marion?

5. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    One thing that stood out to me about Will Allen in his initial interviews back when Saban had signed him, was a very self motivated player. His stated reason for coming here, wasn't the customary, "to help this team win, by any means necessary", but rather in so many words "to improve his skills under Saban's direction".

While I was just glad Saban lured some much needed talent here, it left an impression of a Ty Law wannabe, an aspiring gun for hire, looking forward to a big contract, from a generous team in need, somewhere down the line.
    Alot has taken place since then, and having lived through our tumultuous worst to first saga, its safe to assume he's a team player these days.

Otoh, while his recent story with the Giants, regarding the poor example Dave Thomas had left for him as a veteran, unwilling to help a rookie (Allen), fulfill the role as his future replacement, I'm not entirely convinced it would have necessarilly prompted any tendancy for Allen, to freely pass along his secrets to his eventual replacement today. After all, he ultimately had to learn the ropes on his own, and Davis, being our first round pick, in a few months, will likely be earning a hefty sum, for merely gracing us with his elite caliber presence.

I would speculate that Will Allen's tutelage of Davis, is directly related to his contract extension, and that they even spoke outright to him about schooling Davis. Perhaps, that if he did so, his unconditional mentoring would be compensated (albeit indirectly), in a forthcoming contract extension.

Clearly, the newbs were instructed to listen, and learn from Allen.

For Allen to do so otherwise, here in the offseason, on the steam baked fields of voluntary OTA's, seems to me highly unlikely, given nothing more than a well worn, "team player's" mindset.

djphinfan and Sceeto like this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    while you were writing {so eloquently i might add}, it made me think of what Brett farve said a few years back when Aaron rogers was drafted, something to the affect that he wasnt there to tutor a young guy that inevitably wants to take his job..

Respect the code.

Califin likes this.
  7. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    The league seems to pride itself on settings lofty ideals, even if much of its workforce has little hope of living up to them.

Respecting this specific code, while absolutely honorable, conflicts with the very competitive nature of the league itself, and I think in this case, the local powers that be, understanding as much, took the appropriate action.

...not to suggest they themselves, didn't plan all along to gain anything by doing so. :shifty: