1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SS Position

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinfan0202, Jan 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. phinfan0202

phinfan0202 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    There are question marks with Yeremiah Bell and Renaldo Hill coming off ACL injuries. I think Jason Allen might finally be able to lock down the FS position but the SS is still a big question mark. I'm not sure but i think Adrian Wilson is a FA, Roy Williams in on the trading block, and there are some other options out there not mentioned. What do you guys think is the best option for the Dolphins not only now but the future as well?

2. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Ken Hamlin.

#1dolphinsfan, sgtphin and B.Sebo like this.
  3. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    Adrian signed a 5 year contract extension to be with the Cardinals back in 2005. Roy Williams, while I love watching him play, is possibly the worst coverage safety in the game. No doubt he can help with the run, but their secondary is far better than ours is and he still gives up big plays. I think both Yeremiah and Renaldo will be ok to go by training camp but I do wonder how much that achilles injury will effect Bells speed to make plays.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Juan Huron

5. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    :lol: I wonder how he's coming along we are in dire need of that 2nd WR.

6. phinfan0202

phinfan0202 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    There's a reason that Roy Williams can't cover. It could be the weight he's playing at or the coverage scheme that dosen't fit him but it's not like he just lost whatever ability he has to play the game. To tell you the truth he reminds me alot of Rodney Harrison, big hitter who was seen as a dirty player and washed up. I bet if he went to NE he would be a great player again. Would i have him on my team? not sure.

7. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Hamlin would be my first choice.. I dont like williams. For as many plays he makes he takes away with his penatlies...

FYI - On a run play last night Ahmad Bradshaw was being run down by 3 Cowboys, Williams tried to make the tackly but missed him by inches, but it didnt matter because bradshaw was tackled immediately after Williams went for him.. The replay showed williams extend his arm and his fingers came inches from the back of bradshaws shoulder pads...If Williams was the one who made the tackle he would have definately been flagged for a horsecollar. Williams doesnt learn and is one of the dirtiest players in the league.

My point is he take almost as many plays off the field as he makes

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  8. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    I never said he lost the ability to play the game, it's obvious he still plays at a high level. But his coverage skills are severely lacking to the point that he gets taken out numerous times a game for a "coverage" safety. He gets beaten alot by TE's and forget what would ever happen if he had to cover a WR. Comparing him to Rodney Harrison because they both hit hard isn't exactly fair. I think Rodney has more talent than Roy and Rodney is capable of covering while also delivering a hit. Roy goes out of his way to intimidate, which usually ends in a penalty but he still gets picked on when he's in coverage. Don't get me wrong, like I said before, I love watching Roy play but our secondary can't afford to have someone with worse coverage skills than what we possess now.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    haha seriously!!! :up:

10. m i n o

m i n o New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    imo renaldo hill should be replaced as a starter...j.allen is still on the team?..ok he has picked it up a bit late in the season lets give him one more complete camp but im not sold on him being a starter..yerimiah would be great if he could stay healthy..we kept saying that about poole at cb. i would love to draft a ss..it would have to be in round 4-down but i wouldn't mind getting scheltz from lsu..he is good in coverage and can lay the wood..he should also come affordably cheap.

11. sabanhater

sabanhater New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
  12. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why trade for Roy Williams so he could give up huge plays in the passing game when we could just drat Tommy Zbikowski out of Notre Dame and he could do the exact same things that Roy does minus the dirty plays.

13. FinNfAn56

FinNfAn56 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Atari Bigby this guy as on our team he is now a stud for the packers we are morons this guy is quick and loves to hit

14. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey

he has turned into a solid player..or actually, is TURNING. However it took him all year to do it. Until recently he was flagged for at least 1 huge PI call a game. He just became to get good recently...

15. CTFinFan

CTFinFan New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Windsor, CT
    Hey! How about Jake Plummer?

16. sgtphin

sgtphin Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    100% agree. This would be an excellent addition to our team!

17. phinfan0202

phinfan0202 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Roy Williams used to be able to cover. The whole buisness about him not being able to cover now has to be either him being too slow and needs to cut weight or something having to do with his tecnique.

18. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

One thing about Roy Williams, his next horsecollar and he sits for how long??
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2691

19. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
  20. sabanhater

sabanhater New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    wow. you think he would learn by now.

21. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    he missed it by inches. You could totally see him reaching for the back of bradshaws shoulder pads..

22. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Same goes for Rodney Harrison. How many times does that guy have to draw penalties for late hits before he gets ejected?

23. Dors156

Dors156 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Jason Allen and Hamlin as our two starting safetys wouldnt sound so bad. But then again where is Bell in that picture.

24. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    on IR :unsure:

25. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    [​IMG]

Hahaha. Hilarious how this kid's name still keeps popping up in threads.

26. miami234ever

miami234ever New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I can't believe everyone has bought into the Ken Hamlin hype just because he made the pro bowl. Gibril Wilson is a stud and is at least as good as Hamlin. He's dang good in run support and can still cover as well. Plus, he's only 26 and will come for half the price Hamlin would.

27. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    We are in rebuilding mode. We should keep FA's to a minimum and build through the draft. The few FA's we get should be young , promising players. This draft has several good safties in it , we don't need a FA there.

Here are a few I like

Craig Steltz, SS, LSU (8/30)
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 204.
    40 Time: 4.52.
    Projected Round: 2.
    I guess LSU has an OK replacement for LaRon Landry. I'm being sarcastic of course; Steltz picked off three passes in LSU's 45-0 victory over Mississippi State. Even when he wasn't intercepting Michael Henig, he was always at the right place at the right time. He definitely helped his draft stock.

Played behind LaRon Landry, so hasn't gotten much exposure. That'll change in 2007. Steltz is a smart safety, who picked off four passes despite starting only one game.

Josh Barrett, SS, Arizona State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 231.
    40 Time: 4.49.
    Projected Round: 2-3.
    A monstrous safety, Josh Barrett is one of the top defensive backs in the Pac 10. He started every game in 2006, notching three picks and 82 tackles.

Caleb Campbell, SS, Army
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 223.
    40 Time: 4.47.
    Projected Round: 3-4.
    You have to love the 40 that comes with Caleb Campbell's size. Given his background, I think we can assume that he has a great work ethic.

28. sgtphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    Bell is a FA this year. He will also be 30 this year, it's time to get younger.

29. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I asked about this in another thread and never found my way back for the answer... the Army guy has several years of commitment to the Army before he can play civilian footbal.. or do you know something I don't about his circumstance?

30. Swampfox

Nov 27, 2007
    No insider knowledge however usually part of there term is in the reserves. He wouldnt be the first service guy drafted.

31. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Bell's durability is closer to Shaquille O'Neal than any football player I've ever seen.

32. endorPHINS72

endorPHINS72 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Syracuse, New York
    I'd love for us to get Zbikowski. He's one tough SOB and the can make a play once he gets the ball in his hands.

33. sgtphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Clay City, Indiana
    I've wanted Ken Hamlin to be a Dolphin since before he was drafted out of Arkansas. You see, that's the HOG in me, being from Arkansas, myself!

34. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    We can move Zach Thomas there!

35. Dfan06

Dfan06 New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Jason Allen/Yeremiah bell Depth: Travis Daniel(2 slow to play cornerback) and a free agent pickup.

36. Hugo Guzman

Hugo Guzman New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    For the record, Jason Allen did not simply "pick it up" late in the season. He actually posted extremely solid numbers after getting the starting nod midway through the season. He's also heading into just his third season. I definitely think he deserves to go into the '08 training camp as the starter at FS.

Breed likes this.
  37. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i would love to have Ken Hamlin Especially if we dont resign Y.Bell

38. phinfan0202

phinfan0202 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Haha that was the funiest **** ever! I remember someone else was like we should get Jay Fiedler to play runningback too.

39. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    And you think we had holes in the secondary this year. Zbikowski is better at ST than starter material in the pros IMO.

40. Swampfox

Nov 27, 2007

here is a link Marty. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=55391

The army is considering him to be a national recruiter and gave said he can play in the NFL.