1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Civil War: Gettysburg

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by anlgp, May 4, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

One of my two favorite wars studied in school was the war between the states. Among the more interesting battles to me is Gettysburg. Not only because of its historical significance but due to the fact that it is relatively close to where I live. I have been to Gettysburg once in my life and look to return at least a second time (and as my interest picks up quite possibly sometime within the near future).

I've recently been looking at the Wikipedia article on the second day (I couldn't find the first until now for some reason?) located here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg,_Second_Day .

I've read the whole thing along with the article pertaining to Little Round Top ([ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Round_Top[/ame]), Devil's Den (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Den) & Pickett's Charge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickett's_Charge).

While I loved hearing the history of the war itself up until now I never really placed together a visual timeline that I was able to establish while looking at these maps and getting an overview of the events happening along with the articles.

I vividly remember seeing Devil's Den. Little / Big Round Top. The Wheat Field. The barn with the artillery fire in the side. I also remember the area where Pickett's Charge took place. It's amazing what these little maps do for the brain other than the chalkline on a chalkboard. And seeing them in person is absolutely astounding.

I just imagine what it must have been like going into Devil's Den or the Wheatfield or participating in Pickett's Charge.. and I really can't grasp it. Those were some of (if not the) most bloodiest parts of the day and just walking around in broad daylight creeped me out to my very core.

Part of the reason I wanted to post this is to see if there are any others who enjoy learning about the Civil War on here. The other reason is I know at least one of us (SKING) is a historian by trade and I am looking for good books on the subject. (or sites). Because I know wikipedia is :lol:

I reccomend going to Gettysburg if you live close enough to go. It will absolutely inspire you of the bravery these men had to fight these battles.

edit found one site by looking thru this forum:

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/battle-gettysburg.htm

cnc66, Ducken, charlestonphan and 2 others like this.
  2. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

anlgp a PM is on its way to you. Yes the War is in my blood!:lol::wink2::up:

This is just my opinion of course but I feel the War of Northern Aggression was the turning point that put us on the road that we now find ourselves on.

Themole and charlestonphan like this.
  3. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    i share that opinion... and am an avid WBTS buff.

i have been to Gettysburg once, i have a brother in law and his family that live just outside of GBurg, in a little town called Arendstville.

the day we went was jus below freezing, and had a blistering wind, and we had several chidren under the age of 5 with us, so i didn't get to do more than a cursory tour. but i insisted on stepping off where Pickett's charge commenced, where the statue of Lee on horseback is, heading up to Little Round Top and also Devil's Den, and finding the marker where Armistead's men made the "High Water Mark" during the charge.

really amazing, awe inspiring stuff.

4. gafinfan

Here is a link which you may find interesting "Mr. Lincoln's War" by Pat Buchanan. It is IMHO as true to the facts as anything I've ever read. While I'm sure the dissenters will poo poo Buchanan, the truth of what he wrote stands on its own, the facts are what they are.:wink2:

http://buchanan.org/blog/pjb-mr-lincolns-war-an-irrepressible-conflict-1440

Its a long read but very interesting and fact filled. Enjoy.:up:

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thanks. I got your PMs as well. I have bookmarked them for later as my brain is still crammed from the 3 hours + of reading I did last night.

gafinfan likes this.
  6. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    Been to G-Burg several times. Spend some time in town on a nice spring day just walking the streets. If a house or building was there during the battle it will be marked by a brass plate. A good amount of them still have the battle scars. It is odd to see houses with bullet holes in them. Visit some of the shops around the town circle. There is one with that has part of a tree riddled with mini balls and a round from a cannon still in it.

Oh and one more thing for dinner stop by Gen. Pickett's buffet. Good food awesome deserts:yes:

gafinfan and cnc66 like this.
  7. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.

I have also walked those Hallowed Grounds. I, by no means believe in reincarnation, but something struck my very soul that day. I will never ever forget that feeling! I felt as if I had been a part of it, and was perhaps one of those 50,000 souls that were wounded or died there. I actually wept from the realization of what took place those three days in July of 63. Under the prevailing circumstances of the time, I, of course would have been clad in Grey. For men of those times fought for honor and state. There was to me no right or wrong that day...just the feeling of HONOR.

cnc66, Ducken and gafinfan like this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If you want a good book (though historical fiction), I cannot endorse The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara enough. I loved that book in high school.

charlestonphan, cnc66, Ducken and 2 others like this.
  9. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware

You are so correct, and I believe that is a concept that is lost in today's generation as a whole. I do Civil War re-enacting and in the 15??? or so years I have done it, that may be the biggest thing I have learned about that era. How important honor was to these men as well as your state. In fact, with the case of Robert E. Lee, his state was the reason he went with the Confederate army. He did not believe in slavery nor did he have a horse in pretty much any of the other issues, but when Virginia left the Union his love and devotion to the state is what swayed him.

Speaking of Lee, I hate say it was his biggest blunder, but for a lack of a better word. I have read several book saying he was ill during that time and was still very upset over the loss of Jackson at Chancellorsville. With Ewell's failure to take Culp's hill, and not having his eyes (Jeb Stuart's Cav) in place I believe his best course of action would have been to pull back to ground of his choosing.

sking29 likes this.
  10. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    we have to get you on a Marsh Tacky for that someday.

gafinfan likes this.
  11. gafinfan

Not to take this down a different road because there is some time spent at Gettysburg in this book, I've just finished "Reading The Man" by Elizabeth Brown Pryer. A portrait of Robert E. Lee through his private letters.

It is a wonderfully different look at this great man. I should warn you though that she does "Judge" his views about slavery in the context of her feelings versus in the context of the way 19th century man looked upon that issue. Be that as it may, otherwise it is a compelling read and one I'm sure anyone who wants to really understand and "get inside R. E. Lee's head" will enjoy.

Just one little fact; did you know that Robert E. Lee never referred to himself as such or did any of his contemporaries. It was always R.E. Lee.

12. Cosmic

Cosmic Social Disease

Dec 10, 2007
    I am an avid Civil War buff as well. Last year, I got to walk the First Manassas battlefield and see the treeline where Stonewall Jackson got his nickname. Fantastic experience.

If you want something besides books that will give you a great history lesson, pick up the cd by Iced Earth called "The Glorious Burden". All of the songs are about different wars and wartime experiences, and the 2nd cd is called "Gettysburg". It is 3 songs-one for each day of the battle of Gettysburg-"The Devil to Pay", "Hold at All Costs", and "High Water Mark". The intro to the last song is actually a sung conversation between Robert E. Lee and General James Longstreet, who, for my money, should have been listened to. He saw the slaughter coming and tried to warn Lee, but Lee disregarded his advice.

gafinfan and Ducken like this.
  13. gafinfan

While what you say is true, up to a point, Gen. Longstreet did both himself and the cause a disservice by holding back and being half hearted/late in his attack. If he had given the orders as he should have we have no idea as to the outcome, do we. Picket blamed Lee but had Longstreet put his heart into it and properly carried out his orders things could have well been different. Some say the fight was lost in the first day with Ewell's blunder. Jackson would have never stopped, of that we are certain.

Lee was not to be trifled with when his blood was up, Longstreet knew it and inspite of that he held back at a time when others would have not. Sometimes fights are won or lost not because of who is right or not but because of the audacity and heart of those in the fight. Lee knew Mead was timid and it was his contention to be bold. Longstreet may have had the better plan in fighting a defensive war (thus saving lives in this battle) but I can see Lee's desire to "finish it here." Just how much less blood would have been shed (long run), Lincoln might have well lost the next election, and/or Lee could have threatened to take Washington and then sued for peace.

Never the less the heart and honor of those boys in grey is something I will alway admire. God bless them. To go up against a foe who is better equipped and in the better position and all that is known up front yet you still take the fight to them is the stuff of true courage and legion.:up:

charlestonphan and Themole like this.
  14. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Nice words Ron. Who knows what the outcome would have been for the future of America, had a few events twisted the other way.

I'm embarrassed to say, that I've never read the C.S.A's Constitution. I've seen it, but never studied it to know just how different it was compared to the U.S. Constitution at the time. I'm going to make a point to compare the two.

edit: Ah! Here is the Preamble.

Preamble

We, the people of the Confederate States, each State acting in its sovereign and independent character, in order to form a permanent federal government, establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity — invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God — do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America.

Right out the gate, I would have expected that!

Here's the link: http://www.usconstitution.net/csa.html

Ducken and gafinfan like this.