1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I like about the new regime

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, Apr 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    It's draft time and there's no obvious hole we need to fill. How many years has it been since the phins have been able to say that?

There are strong cases for the 1st pick to be spent on any position except for QB, RB, OT or S.

Whilst there are areas we want to upgrade the team will be able to survive and have a successful season even if we don't upgrade in any particular area.

This is putting the team into a zone where we can genuinely pick the best available talent rather than reaching to fill a need.

2. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I'm loving every minute of it! -Kramer

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  3. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I have to slightly disagree that there isnt an obvious hole. CB to me is a very obvious hole for us right now. Will Allen is are only proven CB at the position that is full of question marks. Jason Allen hasn't done much to make me feel comfortable. Eric Green same thing. Nate Jones Id rather leave as a NB at the most. Right now, talent wise, this is our most needy position. That being said I have full faith that the regime will get it right before the season starts.

4. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I disagree too, we have plenty of holes to fill. CB depth is very thin and the talent after Allen drops off considerably. We need help at LB, both inside and out, and we need to find someone to backup Fergy incase he goes down again. I'm still not convinced that the OL has improved, not only do I think that Grove is a lateral move, but I think we need to draft a G to compete with Thomas (who is a questionmark) and be ready if Smiley isn't ready or reinjures himself.

The team is in better shape than it has been in years past, but we have obvious holes to fill. :wink2:

PerfectTeam likes this.
  5. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i don't think Donald Thomas is a question. He had a freak foot injury. Smiliey is the question mark b/c he as a history of being injured.

6. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Yea but Thomas is still a question mark because he has only played one real live game. Im not going to say that RG is settled until Thomas can prove he can man the spot consistently. Right now the entire middle of the OL is a question mark to me.

like2god likes this.
  7. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Thomas suffered a Lisfranc injury, which if I remember correctly, can take a long time for a person to properly recover from. Add to that the fact that he has little to no experience, most of the hype about him came from players during practices, which is a far cry from actual game situations. We don't know how well he will perform. Will he live up to his billing or turn into Shawn Murphy? So until he proves it out on the field, he is a questionmark. At the very least we should have someone to compete with him, making him the starter and then finding out that he can't handle the position is a recipe for disaster.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Isn't it the same injury Ted Ginn suffered in the National Championship game? If I remember correctly, he wasn't 100% again until the beginning of training camp rookie year. So he needed 7 months to recover. I'd like to think Thomas should be back to full strength when camp opens.

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    CB is a hole. There is no denying that. OLB is weak, but not a hole. but CB is most definitely a hole right now. I'd be SHOCKED if one of our top picks wasn't a CB.

10. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    It depends, it's an injury that can linger and be a career ender, so we have to wait and see if he's able to fully recover and play without any problems.

11. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    We have holes to fill, but unlike the past regimes, this one hasn't failed yet. The big 3 have done a great job so far, but we really haven't won anything yet. A lot of people were happy when JJ came in, (his past history of winning), Dave W. won a divisional title for us, we we're happy when Nick Saban turned down the NFL a year earlier to come to us the year later, than we finally got a O-minded coach in C.C.

I do like what this regime is doing the best though. Building from the big the fat, the uglies first. This is where azz-kicking football starts. :up:

12. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I think it would be more accurate to say for the first time in quite awhile we are heading into the draft with no glaring desperate needs on offense.
    At last we are:
    Set at QB
    Have a strong group of RBs
    Have the makings of a dominant OL
    And can say that we can win with our WRs and TEs
    Defense...?
    still some needs.

13. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    donald thomas already was quoted sayin he is at 100%

14. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I have to disagree as well. We have some holes to fill for sure, Like L2G, I have to say that the OL really hasnt improved much. we still have concerns at G. We definitely need help at CB and at OLB to help get some pass rush. Also, i still think WR is an area of concern for us too. Sure Camarillo is coming back, but we didnt see a whole lot of TD receptions from our WR's last season, it sure would be nice to have a big playmaking WR out there on the field for us. Only problem is, who gets bumped from the lineup then between ginn, camarillo, and bess?

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Pauly, not to burst the bubble, but I think it's more like we have so many holes that it almost won't matter where we pick...we can safely pick at CB, WR, ILB, OLB, DT and no one would bat an eye. I don't think we are a poor team any longer, but coaching got this group to play together, the lack of talent reared it's ugly head late in the season and in the playoffs...we have a lot of holes to fill....it's certainly not as bad as last draft was, where we had big, glaring holes, but it's not exactly pretty...

16. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

i could see us drafting a RB in the 1st. Beanie or Moreno would have to be there but I can see it. There are questions about Ronnie and Ricky.

You are right tho we don't have any one position that we really need. Of course there are several positions we want to upgrade tho but that puts us in a position to go BPA

17. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.

I see where you coming from, but the corner and pass rush holes are too big to dismiss until later rounds.

18. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Unlike years past when we could see glaring needs, but it seemed like no one in the Dolphin's front office could see them or ignored them.
    In this group I have all the confidence that they see a panoramic view of the Dolphins needs and will address them when the opportunity arrises.
    I also have confidence that they wont accept any player at any position unless they believe they are worth the pick. We definitely need a cornerback but we don't need to reach just to fill the need.

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Every team has holes. Thats the nature of the sport. The Steelers OL last season was not good at all, yet the worked around it.

I do think we can upgrade CB, but to be honest I don't think its the end of the world to go into TC with Jason Allen and Green competing for the #2 spot.

I, unlike some, think the Grove signing is a great one. He is going to be a Pro Bowl caliber C next season IMO.

20. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

We can get a very good corner like Sean Smith or DJ Moore at 44. There a alot more coners we can get there too. Also you can get a quality rushing outside LB later in the draft. I really doubt either RB makes it to 25 anyway