1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players you want, don't want, or would be ok with at #25

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Apr 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I think it would be neat if we all put players that the Dolphins might draft into 3 categories: Players you want, Players you don't want, and Players you would be OK with. This draft has been harder to read than most as far as judging where players will go, so I will probably include players that might not even be on the board when we pick. I'll go first.

Players I want:
    1.) Hakeem Nicks- I am trying to not get my hopes up, because of Parcells track history of not drafting WR's early but I absolutely want Nicks wearing a 'Fins jersey. When you watch this guy on tape he just pops out at you. I have watched Maclins, Crabtrees, and Harvins highlight tapes yet Nicks just seems as special as anyone of those players. Like people mention on here his is an Anquan Boldin clone. I kept going back and forth on whether I wanted Nicks or not because we already have Camarillo, Ginn, Bess, and London; but Nicks is just too good not to root against. I really, really hope we get him.
    2.) Darius Butler- I think he would be great for our new Quarters defense. He is very gifted athletically and has good ball skills. He needs to improve on his tackling, but in the Quarter defense he will have the Safeties help in most cases I believe.
    3.) Clay Matthews- Point blank I just like this guy. He has very smooth hips and flys around the field. Great attitude, non-stop motor he has it all. I think he would be a better fit at OLB for this team than Brian Cushing.
    4.) Robert Ayers- I am borderline between wanting him/ being OK with him. I think he would be able to replace Roth (who I love). Should be able to stop the run as well as get a better pass rush than Roth. He'll probably be picked before us.
    5.) Rey Maualuga- Again, I doubt he is on the board at #25. If he is though, I think he would be great in the middle along side Channing Chrowder. He is very tough and plays very aggressive. More of a playmaker than Chrowder and is always around the ball. Can get to the QB with power or speed/quickness. Could have problems off the field and plays out of control at times.
    6.) Vontae Davis- One of the best CB prospects in the draft this year. He has a lot of questions about his motivation, drive, responsiveness to coaching; so I trust Parcells and Company to make the right decision about him. I think at 25 his talent is almost to good to pass up; and like I said before I trust Parcells, Sparano and Ireland's judgement call on if he will be a distraction or cancer to the team.
    7.) Larry English- I think at 25 its a little earlier than where he should go, but if we like him enough I say pull the trigger because I doubt he is there a 44. His timed 40 wasn't that impressive, but he has an amazing burst and his first step is amazing. Has a great motor and could be a great OLB for us.

Players I DON'T want:
    1.) Brandon Pettigrew- I really like the TE's we have now, especially Fasano. If the FO thinks we need a TE, I think we could find should go with someone like Shawn Nelson in with our 2b or 3.
    2.) Michael Johnson- If we do pick him, which seems kind of likely if he is on the board when we are picking, I will support him 100% as a Dolphin. That being said I am not that high on him. I think he is too finesse of a player for the 3-4 except for the Rush OLB spot. His motor runs hot and cold. He production wasn't were it should have been for someone of his talent. He will get pushed around when they run at him. On a lighter note, he looks decent back in coverage and he gets off blocks well when pass rushing.
    3.) Darrius Heyward-Bey- Guy can not run a route at all. He speed is mostly straight line speed. He is extremely raw. He is going to be a boom or bust prospect and unfortunately I think its far more like for him to be a bust. I am glad that we probably won't take him.
    4.) Peria Jerry- He could be gone by the time we are picking. I think Jerry could be a decent 3-4 nose tackle for us, but he has more of a 4-3 DT's body. Parcells like taking DT's later on in the draft so I doubt this pick is likely. Also Jerry will be 25 before taking a single NFL snap. I hate drafting players older than 24.
    5.) James Laurinaitis- For some reason I just don't see his game translating well to the Pros. I have a feeling most NFL teams get the same feeling and he will fall a lot farther than most people think like Dan Connor a few years ago. He is almost playing at his ceiling now and has little room to improve. He isn't fast, powerful or that athletic. Survives on top notch Football IQ.

Players I would be OK with:
    1.) Aaron Maybin- His stock has been all over the board. That being said I doubt he is on the board when we pick. If he happens to be on the board I wouldn't mind taking him because of the great value we would be getting (Like Merling at 32 last year), but I am not overly impressed with his game just yet.
    2.) Brian Cushing- He is intense. Very versatile and could help us out at either OLB or ILB. He would be good value at #25, but I just don't have a good feeling about him. He has a hard time getting to the QB and has a long list of injuries.
    3.) Everette Brown- After being projected as a top 15 pick for a while it seems his stock has fallen and he might be on the board when we pick. If we select him I would be ok with it. I think he is a little smaller than Parcells likes his 3-4 LB's but he is really athletic and could provide a great pass rush off the edge. He is somewhat inconsistant and is still raw.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  2. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Good list. And, I tend to agree with you, for the most part.

On the list of who I want, definitely Nicks. :praying: If not Nicks, I'd probably say either English, Matthews, Sintim, Butler (I guess), and maybe, MAYBE Davis. But, Parcells better be in the that boys head from day one. And, I don't think Maualuga's gonna be there. But if he is...he's almost gotta be the pick. Dont'cha think?

As for players I don't want at #25, I'll say I agree with you for the most part. I'll just add Barwin (whom I know many here are in love with), and Harvin. Barwin I like, just not at #25. Harvin, I want no part of. I also don't want Ayers. Not at #25. If he's still on the board at #44 or #56, well, than that's a different story. And, I think Laurinaitis will be fine, in a 4-3.

I agree with your list of players I'd be OK with...100%. Matter of fact, I'd probably move Brown to the list of players I'd like if push came to shove.

Good job UCF FINatic! :up:

3. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    I DO want . . .
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Michael Jenkins
    Everette Brown

I DO NOT want . . .
    Any receiver (yes, even Nicks . . . whom I do like FWIW)
    Michael Johnson
    Connor Barwin
    Alphonso Smith
    Darius Butler

I would be OK with . . .
    Any of the other players that could be taken between 25 and 56 that we might be forced to draft here because there is no value left.

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I want someone on the defensive side of the ball. I will trust the FO to make the picks regardless of what side they are on and as long as the player comes in and concedes to team first attitude and play I'll be happy with the selection.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Guys I'd like:

Darius Butler
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Aaron Maybin
    Ziggy Hood

Guys I'd be cautious about:

Michael Johnson
    Conner Barwin
    Brian Cushing

Guys I don't think are matches for us:

Percy Harvin
    Vontae Davis
    Ray Mauluga
    Clay Matthews

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why not Matthews, padre?

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because head to head, we could do better Alen, in my view, Matthews loses to everyone I mentally compare him to except maybe a cat like Veikune.

Matthews v:

Clint Sintim..more experience playing up or down at VA and far more productive a 3 yr starter (maybe longer, Sintim has been playing OLB/DE for years now)

Larry English..similar players, "but" English does have that extra gear

Conner Barwin..no comparison in upside potential, athleticism or utility.

Michael Johnson...more upside, Johnson started the same amount of time, Johnson is far more athletic Johnson could gain 20 pds and play DE.

Paul Kruger...Kruger has more room to grow, has started more games, and is not maxxed out.

When I think of the OLB/DE's on our radar, I just don't see Matthews winning (my own) head to head comparisons.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    You know what he could probably do better than all of those names? Play inside linebacker. I think he could also play strong side linebacker pretty well but I wouldn't expect him to rack up sacks. Personally, I'd consider taking him at 25 if he slipped.

9. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Guys Id Want
    Hakeem Nicks
    Darius Butler
    Sean Smith
    Ray Maguluga
    Aaron Maybin
    Malcolm Jenkins
    Connor Barwin

Guys i dont want
    Clay Matthews
    Percy Harvin
    Vontae Davis

Guys id be Ok with
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Knowshon Moreno
    Chris Wells
    Kenny Britt
    Alphonso Smith
    Robert Ayers
    Larry English
    Michael Johnson

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Probably, but not ILB for us, resigning Channing really put the brakes on alot of moves Alen.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    We could still replace the average Akin Ayodele. I wouldn't complain if we replaced him with Matthews.

Zanno and texanphinatic like this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Is Matthews that rangy Alen? Didn't he play DE mostly?

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, he played end and stand-up rusher. I think he could do it though.

14. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i would like anyone with the letters CB next to their name

i don't want anyone with the letters WR

i would be ok with someone with LB next to thier name.

Xeticus likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That's why head to head I'd take English though, he has more starting Experience at doing that very thing and because English comes from such small program, he has more..potential?...to really blossom under our strength program.

Matthews on the other hand is the finished product of 4 years at the "best" college program in the country, there is to many more areas he can improve on physically in the Pros.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Matthews can improve his game at the next level. He can still learn things to get better at pass rushing for example. And his ability to play inside linebacker is intriguing.

I've got very little issues taking English. I love his first three steps and I think that he's better than most give him credit for. For all the knocks he gets regarding his poor workouts, he's still going to be a downhill-only player in the future - once Porter is done - and wouldn't be asked to cover any one on the weak side so all that nonsense about his forty is just that, nonsense IMO. The biggest quibble I have with Larry is that he struggles to set the edge consistently. However, that's something that has to be brought into question as well because, just how much was he asked to pay attention to the run? Look at him in the bowl game against Louisiana Tech. The guy played a Dwight Freeney-like game, not statistics wise but rather simply going downhill and asked to get after the Quarterback only. He was double teamed in that game and then faced running backs when he got into the pocket. Same thing he's been seeing all year and still was productive. I think he has something like fifty-seven career tackles for loss, which is a crazy number. He's got numbers similar to Demarcus Ware coming out and don't confuse what I'm saying, I'm not comparing the two and saying English could be like him. I'm simply comparing their production in college.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Akin A, afaik, is more of a coverage ILB, and it's tough to see Matthews going inside out the way a really good ILB can espeically with one season as a DE (mostly) under his belt.

What bothers me the most about Matthews is he is an effort/motor player who has maxxed out his potential, what I'd prefer is a great athlete who gives his best effort and doesn't have to fight for everything.

Like Cam Wake, you have to take into account their surroundings when trying to project them, consider NEI, it's doubtful they have the training, coaching, film study facilities for Larry English that we have currently.

USC on the other hand has all of that, and more, and Matthews took 4 years to bubble up to "starter", 4 years of all of those player improvement assets, something English (or Cam Wake) never really had access to, I try to add those elements in when doing a projection (as normally pitiable as my projections can be ).

Add in Carrol as an exNFL head coach, and Matthews lack of production seems even stranger.:dunno:

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Matthews could cover in zone but I'm not sure about matching him up man to man with a tight end or a slot receiver.

I think that Matthews can still improve his game and I don't see him as maxed out. Maybe physically but not production-wise. I think he could be a better player in the NFL then he was in college.

Correct, not sure what that has to do with this though.

Well his first year he came in too small so he had to get bigger so that's one year off. His second he was rounding off his game and was primarily a special teamer like his first year as a walk-on. Then the year before last, Brian Cushing was inserted into the lineup and rounded off a three linebacker set with Keith Rivers and Rey Maualuga. Finally, last year he got the starting job three games into the season I believe and played well in a rotational role, notching 4.5 sacks. Not to mention that Kaluka Maiava is one of the better linebackers on that team and if he wasn't a midget, he'd be talked about more often by people.

Steve-Mo and padre31 like this.
  19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Want.
    1)Chris Wells-yeah I know we have about a 1% of taking a RB in round 1 but if we have plans not to keep Ronnie past this year for some reason Id love to have Wells.
    2)Brandon Pettigrew-him and Fasano would be an awesome young duo of TEs.
    3)Sean Smith/Vontae Davis/Malcom Jenkins-The 3 best CBs in the draft imo.
    4)Rey Malagua-the middle enforcer we need.

Players I wouldnt mind
    1)Michael Johnson-Some red flags but is a top 5 talent.
    2)Connor Barwin-Good talent somewhat raw.
    3)Ron Brace/Dorrell Scott/Terrence Taylor (round 2 or down)-NT of the future.

Dont want
    1)Matthews/Cushing-They just seem roid guys and I wouldnt trust them.
    2)Any WR not named Crabtree/Maclin-Im just not sold.

20. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I can see being a bit grumpy about taking certain players, but you wont cheer for them? What would be wrong with some of them? I can see not cheering for a guy with huge character concerns, but Laurinaitis or Barwin?

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In the Ratliff role in Dallas, iirc, Fergie started and Ratliff was a back up all over the Dline, even last season Ratliff played some DE, to me that is Ziggy's best role.

All the Dallas lore from last predraft has sort of faded on me Aqua, it seemed like Ratliff was Fergie's understudy until Fergie blew out a tricep, but I "think" there was a full season before Ratliff really took over the nose tackle spot.

22. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Players I want:
    Sean Smith
    Clint Sintim
    Hakeem Nicks
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Alex Mack - No I don't have confidence in Grove

Players I don't want:
    Clay Matthews
    Percy Harvin
    James Laurinaitis
    Connor Barwin
    Vontae Davis

Players that I would be ok with:
    Michael Johnson
    Duke Robinson
    Larry English
    Rey Maualuga
    Brian Cushing

23. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I getcha, misunderstood your intent on that one :up:

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  24. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    This is a year where I would be happy to have alot of guys. I think we really need a CB, But LB, NT, and WR are not bad options either. I just dont want a OL

I Do want PERCY HARVIN!!!!

25. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Hakeem Nicks
    - I'm not convinced we need to spend the #25 to get a decent receiver. I'll be happy taking whomever is left at 44 or further down.

Darius Butler
    - Best natural corner in the draft, imo. I hate his lack of physicality though. Worth a #25, imo. Thing is, there are enough good corners in round two and three that I don;t want to spend #25 on a corner. I'll take Sean Smith or Jairus Byrd a little later, or Deangelo Smith in the 4th.

Clay Matthews
    - I always worry about guys who only recently improved. Why did it take them so long? Was is an aberration? How did he improve so quickly? The lack of a long track record of top-tier production concerns me here. I honestly have an issue with all of the USC LB's, despite liking them all. Maualuga is too immature and reckless, Cushing may be topped out on his potential, being an overachiever.

Robert Ayers
    - Yes.

Rey Maualuga
    - So violent, but what a damned putz. Not sure about the risk factor here, and also, Tony Sparano likes disciplined football. This guy is out there freelancing and guessing too often for a team like ours, imo.

Vontae Davis
    - Again, don't like the character issues. No thanks.

Larry English
    - Not sold on his versatility. A great first step isn't necessarily enough. Would be just as happy with Sintim, or Kruger later.

Brandon Pettigrew
    - I have trouble wanting to use a #25 on an incredible blocker. I don;t know. I guess I'd enjoy watching us run the ball more. I would be okay with this pick, but not excited or anything.

Michael Johnson
    - Not a fan. Boy has lots of learning and improving to do. If I am going to draft projects with great physical traits and upside, I do that on day two, NOT with my first round pick. Too much risk in terms of how/if he'll develop.

Darrius Heyward-Bey
    - Well, sure he has speed. I do like that he plays very physically despite being a speedster. He BANGS into tacklers, man. That said, he's not the most polished route runner. I'm not sold on taking a WR in round one anyways unless his name starts with a crustacean and ends with a plant that loses it's leaves in autumn.

Peria Jerry
    To me, just wrong for a 3-4 front. More a penetrator and 4-front guy. A better Randy Starks. For what he could do for us, he'd be being overdrafted at #25.

James Laurinaitis
    - Maybe he would be a smart choice, but I have always hated how he is not at all physically intimidating to blovkers. He coasts around, unable to get off blocks through either strength or agility or just nasty want-to. I need power and nastiness in my ILBs. I want bullies inside, not a nice kid who never makes mistakes (his best trait... he is consistent). So, this is a personal prefernece thing about his style of play. If this regime thinks he fits what they need someone to do in the middle though, I'll trust 'em.

Aaron Maybin
    - No. He's built for a Tony Dungy defense, not a Parcells one.

Brian Cushing
    - Would consider this. A lot of fire nd dedication, but is he topped out talent wise? I fear he is a good player who never sees a Pro Bowl.

Everette Brown
    - Beware of two things, the Ides of March and drafting Florida DE's. Neither turn out well.

What I want is to trade down into the second round and pick up extra picks. I'd trade our #25 pick for a team's 2009 mid to late second round pick, fourth round pick and 2010 second round pick.

26. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Which is exactly what I expect to happen Saturday. Assuming of course the right trade partner comes along. Baltimore, Tennessee and NY Giants all come to mind for some reason.

I really think if Parcells has his way, that pick is going to be traded.

JMO...

27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Players I want, these are all guys whom I see as special prospects at their respective positions:
    Hakeem Nicks - the best route runner in the draft and the size/speed to be a #1.
    Conner Barwin - exceptional athlete with great motivation.
    Malcolm Jenkins - the only CB that fits our defense and is worth a 1st round pick.

Players I don't want:
    Rey Maualuga - ILBs in the 5th rd will provide similar production
    James Laurinaitis - see above
    Vontae Davis - taking athletes with questionable motivation is never a good idea
    Darius Butler - bad fit for our defense

Players that I would be ok with. All these guys are good prospects who have some question marks that drop them just a step below elite prospects:
    Sean Smith - very good prospect but similar to Byrd.
    Clint Sintim - maybe not great but good at everything.
    Michael Johnson - all world talent but questions about motivation.
    Larry English - great first step, but how will he be in coverage?
    Brian Cushing - may end up just being an ILB.
    Clay Matthews - one year wonder concerns but very versatile.
    Percy Harvin - top 10 talent and production but how will he do with money and less oversight?
    Kenny Britt - diva flags.
    Brandon Pettigrew - great prospect but how much of an upgrade over the TEs we already have?
    Alex Mack - great prospect but we did just spend a ton on Grove.

28. gofins

gofins Active Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Laurel, Md
    You must be jumping for joy at this draft!