1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merged: Ireland thinks veteran players (JT) hinder the progress of younger players

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Looks like the new FO is big on getting younger! I guess we won't sign JT unless he wants to play in Miami so bad that he won't be asking for much money. I think the amount of money New England offers, compared to what we'll offer will make JT decide to go to New England.

Anyway, here's a link and the whole article of what i just read.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

PMZQ, SICK, ToddsPhins and 2 others like this.
  2. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Couldn't agree more. Too many older vets can hamper player development and in my opinion hinder a franchise. A couple vet players isn't bad in the meantime, but i really like actually using the young players we get. Increase their value as much as possible.

For instance, if we still had JT last year, Langford, merling and roth may not have got the experience or reps that they did get last year. I fully expect because of that experience they will all be better this year.

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  3. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I get where hes coming from and im not saying i disagree but im pretty sure that no team has won a championship with all young players with inexperience and no vets to help out the younger guys.

4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Man! I freakin' love these guys! :D

5. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That's not 'actually' what he said. ;) It wasn't absolute.

I think it depends on the player and the position. If they've got some young guys at the position who look like they've got the potential, a vet like JT could be a hindrance. But if the position is filled with young 'filler' and/or there's room to spare, it's much less of a problem.

What I got from it is Ireland would prefer to see what they get in the draft before making a decision on JT. Whether JT waits that long is another story.

late again and unluckyluciano like this.
  6. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Miami Dolphins appear lukewarm about re-signing Jason Taylor

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...dolphins-jason-taylor-s040309,0,5847509.story

That's good to hear. Man, again, I love these freakin' guys. :D

Bpk likes this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Yup.

Another reason it wouldn't shock me if we dealt Porter and drafted a couple OLBs. Between Wake and a couple new OLBs, someone could step up and begin developing.

Sceeto likes this.
  8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Good point, BpK...If we had only a few holes, that would be different, but we have several holes to fill and still more depth to acquire...

Bpk likes this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    JP expects Taylor to sign with the Pats if we don't sign him and soon.

Ireland would like to wait until after the Draft, which would put JT in a terrible negotiating position, if he signs with the Pats now, the Pats wouldn't be forced to take a OLB early in the draft.

If JT waits for us, we pay him the Vet Minimum and he is a backup, in NE he has a decent contract and starts.

Sceeto likes this.
  10. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    ..That's another reason why I would not want him back. Zach wouldn't do something like that. :D

..Yeah, I think that's going to be the plan if they're going to sign anymore FAs. Like you said, wait until their price drops and they get a little desperate. ;)

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And JT just doesn't see himself as a markdown item, so IMO he ends up in Patsie land in the next two weeks.

He can make 5 million a season and start and compete for a SB in NE, in Miami he would fight just to be starter let alone being paid the Vet Minimum.

Sceeto likes this.
  12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I agree with you on everything bro, but I don't know about that part. ;):D

padre31 likes this.
  13. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I loved JT when he was here, but that ship has sailed. Let the young boys play. Build it with youth. It wouldnt surprise me a bit for JT to get injured again this year. I am not wishing it on him, it just wouldnt surprise me any.

14. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    I said it a few days ago and no one seemed to agree...then....

They will WAIT until after the draft before they do ANYTHING regarding JT.

They'll see what the get/got in the draft and if they are happy with the players choosen, they will go in another direction, if not then they could sign JT.

They sure as hell aren't going after him now given the history between them (JT and the Trifecta).

15. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I am a JT fan and he has meant a lot and brought a lot to the Dolphins. However, he kind of stepped on some toes when he decided to dance rather than workout with the Dolphins. I agree with the youth movement, the lack of young players to fill openings is one of the main problems the Dolphins suffered from. I wish JT luck but we don't need him or the salary he probably feels he deserves.

16. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    We aren't devoid of veterans, its just in Taylor's case, we don't need him.

17. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Veterans who actually work with young players to make the whole team better are priceless. Some veterans who view the young players as competitors for their spot in the line up, which is bad. Other times you have high calibre players who don't bother getting to know young players until after they've proven themselves.

I newver got the impression that JT was the sort of player who went out of his way to mentor young players, and that impression was only reinforced by the Dancing with the Stars episode.

PMZQ likes this.