1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite and Least Favorite Sport Memories

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Jt0323, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Every sport fan has that special memory growing up that makes them proud to be a fan. I was wondering what everyone favorite and worst moment as a sport fan? Here is mine.

Growing up I loved to watch Bernie Williams play. I would find myself contently check the news paper to see how far he was off in winning the batting title, if he was in the race that year, or see how he did the previous night if I missed the game. He was the reason why I loved baseball and the Yankees. He was no Alex Rodriguez, but if you were a Yankee fan, you loved him. When I was a kid I was a huge Yankee fan. I still am today but not as when I was a kid. I was a bigger Yankee fan than I was Dolphin fan, and as I grew older I find myself a bigger Dolphin fan. I remember the summer of 2002, as a kid, my family and I were going Ocean City Maryland for vacation. During this time Bernie Williams was doing amazing at this time as he went 5-5 and continued to go 12 for his last 12. I remember the day before vacation Bernie was playing and at this time he was 8 for his last 8… I remember getting my walkman and just staying up and just listening to John Sterling call the game and every time Bernie got up I became nervous as I was hoping he would continue his amazing streak. He continued his streak up until the 3rd day of my vacation. I am sure everyone here has a player like that, that you just loved watch play…

Well my favorite moment involves Bernie. It was September 13, 2003. Unknowing to me it was Bernie Williams birthday. That game, against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, at the time, in the first of a 2 game double header, he hit a homerun his first at bat. His second at bat, first pitch he hit another one. Just being at that game was amazing, seeing my favorite player having a game like that was great.
    My least favorite moment being a sport fan was during the 2001 World Series. The Yankees lost a heart breaker to the Arizona Diamondbacks. That World Series Loss was worse for me than the Boston Red Sox’s winning its last 4 games in the 2004 ALCS. The 2001World Series was the best World Series I ever saw and to lose the way the Yankees did was horrible. That win would have been amazing for the City after the 9/11 attacks. It’s the only one World Series that I can’t even watch highlights of, even if its Derek Jeter hitting the home run on November to win the game, just because I know they lost the series. If I could go back in time and change the outcome on one game, that would be it.

Boik14 likes this.
  2. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    My favorite sports memory is easily June 20, 2006. The night Dwyane Wade tossed the ball into the air as the final buzzer sounded and the Miami Heat were......."CHAMPIONS OF THE BASKETBALL WORLD!!!!" - That announcement still gives me chills.

Least favorite? Has to be 62-7 up in Jacksonville. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. That along with Allan Houston's Game 7 (or was it Game 5 back then?) Buzzer Beater over the Heat in the playoffs.

Boik14 likes this.
  3. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    ouch forgot about that one...it would not have been as bad as it is if it was not Marino's last game

4. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Well it would have to be the Miami Dolphins becoming the AFC Eastern champions. The worst is the Miami Dolphins going 1-15.

5. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    My least favorite came to mind as soon as I saw the title of the thread. However, most favorite is much more difficult to put my finger on...might have to get back to you on that one.

Least favorite, without question, is the Bush push. Most painful sporting moment of my life, and the one that has continued to linger for years now. I'm glad someone started a thread to help me relive the memory...

6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I cant pick just one; I really cant no matter how hard I try. I need one for each sport, so here it goes...

NFL:
    Favorite: The Fake Spike by Dan The Man in the Meadowlands to cap that great rally.
    Least Favorite: The hiring of Cam Cameron. There arent many things I can say I really HATE but this hiring was one. I remember posting on the old board how badly I wanted Parcells or even the senior Schottenheimer.

MLB:
    Favorite: The Mets winning the '86 WS.
    Least Favorite: I can live with choking away the division the last two years much easier had we beaten the Cards in the 2006 game 7. That should have been the Mets year and they were wrapped tighter then a drum that game. Endy Chavez's amazing catch excluded that game was beyond painful and thats aside from the fact I had no voice for about 2 weeks after attending that game.

NBA:
    Favorite: The Knicks drafting Patrick Ewing in '85. I loved the Hoya destroyer in college. I used to wake up real early to watch the replay on ESPN of his games rather then watch cartoons on saturday mornings. I remember this as far back as when I was 5 or 6 years old. Hopefully July 1 2010 takes this spot and Lebron and Bosh (or Amare) become Knicks.
    Least Favorite: Theres a serious list here:
    - Ewing's missed finger roll vs Indy
    - Charles Smith's getting 4 shots blocked vs Jordans Bulls all from like 2 feet away.
    - Losing to the Rockets in 94 in 7 games after being up 3-2.
    - The Knicks-Heat brawl which I felt cost them the series
    - Losing to the Spurs in 99. Great run but I know the series would have been different with a healthy Ewing. The effort by Spree, Houston and Camby was solid but Ewings presence as an interior post threat would have made the Knicks less of a perimeter team.

NHL:
    Favorite: I was a baby for much of the Islanders dynasty years but beating the Pens in I believe it was 1993 in a series they were so overmatched talent wise that it shocked everyone when they won.
    Least Favorite: The Pickett/Spano/Gluckstern years. Lets see a cheapskate owner despite the best cable contract in the NHL at the time (I think it still is to this day). Then a fraud who didnt have the money to buy the team. Followed by another cheap punk. Combine that with the mad mike years and I think any Isles fan deserves a medal for surviving that crap. I wouldnt even wish that on the Rangers.

NCAAF:
    Favorite: Any of the Canes 4 title games.
    Least Favorite: 55 Flood Tip. The Flutie Hail Mary play call vs the Canes. Ive been wanting to make Flutie Flakes out of him ever since.

NCAAB:
    Favorite: Syracuse winning the National Title in 2003
    Least Favorite: Losing to Indiana in 1987 National Title Game. Keith Smart is still on my poop list. Runner up: Syracuse losing to Richmond as a 2 seed...Richmond was a 15 seed in that NCAA tourney.

7. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    least favorite, game 7 2000 western conference finals. **** that game it still makes me sad

8. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Favorite

The Florida Gators march thru the NCAA tourney to win there first basketball national title.

Gators winning the National title v.s. the Buckeyes when no one gave them a chance (Football)

Miami Dolphins come back v.s. Colts featuring Lamar Smith.

Red Sox come back v.s. Yankees!!!!

Least Favorite

Dolphins loss to Jaguars 62-7 in the playoffs. :cry:

The Chargers coming back to beat the Dolphins in the playoffs (1994). :cry:

Monday Night Miracle. Need I say more? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

9. mf52dolphin

mf52dolphin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    My favorite sporting moment was "The Miracle on Ice", when the U.S. hockey team beat the Soviets 4-3 in the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid:knucks::up:.
    A close second was the on November 3, 1978 when my high school team, Valley Christian Academy came from behind to defeat Maricopa 14-8, unfortunately I was already out for the season with my 5th major knee injury of my carrer, to same my season year from being winless.
    Honorable mentions, 1971 Dolphin victory over the Colts for the AFC title game, USC's 1974 second half massacre in their 55-24 win(after being down 24-0) over Notre Dame, UCLA defeating Ohio State in the 1976 Rose Bowl, the Dodgers 9th inning comeback in game 3 of the 1977 NLCS, Cal Poly's 1980 Division II football title, Rick Monday's home run in the deciding game of the 1981 NLCS, A J Duhe's interception return td in the mud in the 1982 AFC title game over the Jets, and the 2002 Angels World Series title.

My least favorite moment was the 1972 Olympic basketball final, where the officals cheated to let the Soviets steal the gold medal from the USA :tantrum:(this game made me hate Communists, and is a major reason that I am very right wing politcally).
    Second place is the tragic Dave Henderson home run off Donnie Moore with 2 outs in the 9th inning of game 5 of the 1986 ALCS. I still can't bear to watch it.
    Dishonorable Mentions: 1972 Olympic pole vault, Rams playoff losses to the Vikings in 1974, 1976, and 1977, 1977 non-call of a Bert Jones fumble against the Patsies, that allowed the Colts to win a game and keep the Dolphins out of the playoffs, Game 4 of the 1978 World Series when Reggie Jackson stuck his butt to interfere with a throw to 1st base and it was not called by the umpires, a Joe Morgan homerun in the last game of the 1982 that prevented the final Steve Garvey/Ron Cey Dodger team out of the playoffs, the three game choke in Milwaukee by the Angels in the 1982 ALCS, my 1st live Dolphin game in 1991 in San Diego losing 38-30 in a game where they could have earned a playoff bid, the overtime loss to the Jets the next week after the Dolphins had taken the lead with 0:44 left in the game, the playoff game in San Diego in 1994 blowing the 21-6 lead, the Angels 1995 collapse and big loss in the playoff game to Seattle, and Shula's final game an ugly 37-22 loss to Buffalo.

10. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Favorite memory......
    1a 1976 Daytona 500 finish when Richard Petty and David Pearson crashed at the finish
    1b 1980 "Miracle on Ice"

Least.......
    The 2004 and 2007 Miami Dolphins

11. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Favorites:

Dolphins winning back to back SB's in the early 70's;
    The Sixers beating the Lakers 4-0 in the 1983 NBA Finals;
    2008 Phillies winning the World Series (I didn't think it was going to happen);
    ASU beating Nebraska in college football, can't remember the exact year;
    CU winning the National Championship in college football in 1990

Least Favorites:
    Too many to mention, but I think I never felt sadder than watching Dan Marino's last game.....and never being able to see him suit up again in a Phin's uniform.
    The 2007 season and losing 15 games was also horrible, but I am over it after what we did in 2008.

12. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Favorites'
    17-0
    beating the commies in hockey
    this season, culminating in a victory over the bretts in their house

not so favorites;
    1-15
    losing to dallas 24-3 in '71
    2002 loss to pats
    monday night meltdown