1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halo Wars - 360

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by mor911, Feb 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Anyone pick up the Halo Wars demo that was released yesterday?? Seems like a good idea and story line for an RTS.

I haven't been home much, so I haven't given it a run.

2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I downloaded and played it. I would buy this game if it was even close to good for the Halo 3 maps, and I am on the fence. It is close to being there, but something about it is still a little off.

Each unit has two different attacks, an 'X' attack and a 'Y' attack, so when you get mixed units together it can suck. Like when you have a warthog, which has a 'y' attack of ramming, and marines, which have a 'y' attack of grenades, the warthogs drive in to ram and then get killed by the marines throwing grenades.

The controls are better, however, than most RTS games on consoles. You can hold the 'a' button and a circle will appear and you can drag the circle around the screen to catch more units or you can hit left bumper to select all units. I didn't see anything to select all of a particular type but it may be in there...

I just wasn't that impressed. It was hard for me to distinguish what was going on cause the camera was so far out and I couldn't tell one kind of marine from another or one kind of enemey from another. I found myself sending a couple marines after hunters and elites cause they all look the same. A lot of stuff blends in and gets missed IMO.

3. Static XIII

Static XIII New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I downloaded it last night, will have to wait till i get home.

4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    didn't like it. mostly because in order to move your unit long distances, you have to keep pushing X and moving to the edge of the screen, then doing it again. and all you hear is "Lets Go! Movin Out! Movin Out! I'm on it! Let's go!". annoying as ****

5. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The full game leaked last night. Still haven't gotten it.

6. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You're such a loser Mor. Ok, i cracked and got it last night. STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED IT THOUGH!!

7. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Ok... I spent about 2 hours playing the campaign.

Wait for it.

I like it.

It's more like a micro management game than a full fledged RTS. Sure there's resource and base management, but it's very much condensed and controlled to keep it manageable. If it only had an easier way to send troop far without having to look there, it's be phenomenal. The campaigns skirmishes are perfect for the game's build. I really dig it. For those deep into the Halo story... You're gonna have a freak Halogasm. Great videos and story telling.

texanphinatic likes this.
  8. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
  9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Sweet, will have to pick it up then ;)

Wonder if they can patch in a fix to the long distance movement thing or if its hard coded in. Im not a programmer/coder at all so i have absolutely no idea if that can be done or not via XBL lol :)

10. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    for the most part the maps aren't overly huge (nothing on the scale of Command and Conquer yet).. So it's more like a slight setback than a full on annoyance.

texanphinatic likes this.