1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Line or O-line ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PHINFAN 4 LIFE, Jan 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. PHINFAN 4 LIFE

PHINFAN 4 LIFE Season Ticket Holder

Jan 6, 2008
    Fair Hill,Maryland
    I think our o-line has improved , but still needs a lot of work. Our D-line is getting a little bit old with Taylor, but has some youth with Roth and Wright. I think we should address our O-Line with our 1st pick in the draft where ever we pick from unless it is a reach. I am so tired of watching other teams have 5-6 seconds to throw the ball it makes me sick.Should we move Carey back to RT and draft this guy Long at LT? I am not a college football guru. Is this guy worth a top 5 pick? Also , what does it do to Carey moving him back to RT? I am just trying to get some insight . Thanks

2. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    O lin eneeds a T and 2 G's. our D line needs some good big bodies on DE and DT but even when we have that if we dont have the Lbs to come n make the plays wont matter how great the DT is. We need lots of LB help. MLB, OLB, and Depth. Crowder is just a tackler thats it. Porter is good and ZT is basically in danger due to his health.

3. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    In normal circumstances i would say LT, but in the current climate with the best picks being on D, I would have to side with the guys who want a defensive player. We would be mad to sign an offensive player, when the obvious best picks are Long, Dorsey and Ghoullston.

4. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Assuming no trades can be made . . . I'm leaning more and more towards Glen Dorsey w/ the #1 pick. The intangibles he would bring to this team are just too much to ignore, and the kid was having one of the greatest Defensive college football seasons in quite some time . . . he is a monster . . . I mean good DT's are easy to find . . . . great/special ones are rare . . . this kid has the chance to be special.

There are some NICE LT prospects in this draft . . . Oher, Clady are 2 that really stand out as potentially being great LT's . . . Long and Otah seem more of RT material (not saying that is a bad thing, but we have a great RT in Carey) . . . I'm not really sold on Baker from USC, and the kid from BC really is falling. Don't forget we have 3 tackle prospects on our PS right now, and that is not including Toledo, Alabi . . . plus Mormino at guard . . . we have alot of youth being developed on the Oline, so we may unfortunately "neglect" the tackle position of an early draft pick . . . but we all the holes we have, it may be better served.

Back to DLine, as much as I like Dorsey . . . if we lose JT, we DEFINITELY have to consider Long with that #1 pick then. Roth seems to be more of a situational pass rusher and not a guy u want as your #1 DE, and we just don't have a true DE opposite of that. Assuming that JT is gone we have:

Roth, Holliday, Rod Wright, Moses and Solai. We have others, but those are the main 5 . . . looking at that list, u almost have to go Dorsey now, even w/o JT . . . because 4 of those guys can play DE . . . Dorsey and Solai could be a FIERCE tandum for many years . . . if Solai comes around and plays up to his potential.

Selecting Dorsey allows us to maybe go after Fred Davis with the first 2nd round pick or one of the CB's that will have a first round grade that slipped due to the amount of talent at the position.

5. Finominal

Finominal New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    You don’t go offensive line with the first pick. If we stay at number one, being we are the Dolphins, you pretty much have to go Dorsey. And there is nothing wrong with that guy being on our defense. It’s a great addition to our team. If there is a knock on the guy, or he gets hurt tomorrow night (…forbid!) or something, there’s nothing wrong with trading down. I would rather trade down and get CB Mike Jenkins (he’ll probably be the fastest guy in the draft after the combine) before going offense. Seems like the top five or so are all about equal. I can see McFadden rising to the top on the want list for this draft.

6. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Yea I mean if u can get any kind of decent value for the #1 in a trade, u have to jump on that w/o hesitation. But that where the trade speculation probably ends . . . I mean, who has the guns to move up, and will McFadden be the GOD player of this draft.

Decent value is not the #22 and #31 pick from Dallas (some people stated this is what we should do, that is insane to say the least, and Parcells isn't stupid).

Decent value probably involves us staying in the top 5 and picking up a second rounder and a first for next year as well . . . but is anybody in the top 5 or top 10 in need of a RB . . . maybe the Jets, but they aren't gonna do it, no one else needs one. Trading down looks almost impossible unless Dallas wants to trade both #1's, #2 and #1 for 2009 . . . and even then that trade is #1 overall for #22, #31, #31 in 2009 and #63 (assuming Cowboys have same draft pick in 09) . . . doesn't look that good anymore does it. I'm just not sure, I have almost givin up on the trade idea, because it doesn't seem possible.

7. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Well let's see what happens in FA first. IMO our most glaring need on the O-line is the interior. That's where most of the penetration occurred. On the other hand I would be fine with Jake Long as our first pick. The whole O-line issue is one reason why I like the idea of Sparano coming on board, since this has been his forte. I would assume that the new regime will look long and hard at Solai's play and potential, as well. I just think he needs to work on improving his technique and he's going to be fine.

8. OSaban

OSaban New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    There is no indication that Solai or any DT on our roster can stop the run. Folks, we were the worst team in the league stopping the run, no chance to win with that stat. There's little help in FA so we'd have to draft one high.

The cries for OL help remind me of the "fans" who insisted for years that Chris Chambers was a bust. They were wrong then and wrong now.

9. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    With Chambers going to be 30 at the start of the 2008 season, I think we got good value for him.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Chambers is a #1 WR in this league, and never had a proper QB or a consistent system to thrive in. Yea he had a few more drops than u would like, but his knack for making a big catch always excited me.

I hope we hit on a guy with that 2nd round pick . . . because Chambers sure would look good at WR right now . . . it definitely a position that needs to be addressed w/ a veteran WR, and we just let him go.

10. tay0365

tay0365 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I am hoping we get a player to help our D-line or LBing squad, better players worth the overall #1.

11. dont fumble

dont fumble Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Germany
    If you are sick of seeing other Quarterbacks having 5-6 seconds, we better get Dorsey/C.Long. ;-)
    I only saw the Bowl game with Michigan and can confirm what the people with more insight said. J.Long is a very good run blocker who has problems with speed rushers; and that in college!
    So he is a RT in the NFL, but probably no LT, at least not a good one. By the way, F.Adams from Dallas is a free agent and his line coach might be our next HC...
    Carey to RT would be great, that's where he played on Pro Bowl level, though I think he was ok at LT.

If we keep the first pick, we will go D-line and that's a good investment.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  12. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think many people would like to see Carey moved back to the right and find a left in the draft or FA. Maybe Flozell Adams or a guy like Laodhalt if he comes out in the second. I think we do need to look at guard though in draft or in FA.

13. Danny

Danny New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I don't see us taking Dorsey at 1...not because he's bad but is just the fact that he's not the ideal NT for a 3-4...his best position is DT in a 4-3 defence....again, why take a player at 1 and move him from his best position? The pick should be Chris Long if we stay at 1 and if we move down then it could be Gholston.

Ozzy rules!!

14. Jajmando

Jajmando New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    He can play the nose on some downs and the UT or 3 technique (3-4 RE) as well.

15. REV KEV

REV KEV New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    There's always rounds two and three to find wide agile bodies

16. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Agree for the most part, cept if we dont get Dorsey for whatever reason, Chris Long is just as good a choice IMO.

...and I actually think that McFadden's stock drops instead of rises. I watched him pretty closely in his last two games....anybody that likens him to Adrian Peterson does NOT know much about football...Hell, I think Ronnie is twice the back McFadden will ever be....and I am not even sure McFadden is the best RB coming into the draft.

17. calfinfan

calfinfan New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Jake Long has been an outstanding LT in collegem, and should be in the pros. As I've said many times I feel he would give us a bookend at Left and Carey would give us a bookend on the right. Just my opinion. Well worth the #1 pick IMO.

Yes, we need interior defensive help. However, I think we have to look at the scheme Capes ran (4-3 vs 34, 2 gap vs 1gap). If we switch to 3-4 we need LBs, if we stay 4-3 we need DTs.

If we can get a 2nd #1 pick then go for a DT/DE or shut down C. In the second round we can look at ILB and TE.

Courese FA could change everything.

18. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Sorry, but Jake Long was continuously beat. He should project into a solid RT as he is big and strong. Besides that, any QB with him covering their back better have good insurance...