1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Dungy Retires

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by anlgp, Jan 12, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

He had a good run.

I blame the Colts collapse.

That and I remember him saying he's got a son who is playing ball as a senior in HS.

Kanye West likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wish him the best with the rest of his life. He's done a great job with the Colts and Tampa. He's also a great person. One quick story that I will never forget, told by one of the Colts defensive linemen, was in training camp when Tony Dungy said the word "damn." The whole practice field got quiet and the players just stared at him with their mouth gaping. If you don't know, Tony Dungy doesn't use profanity and players still say that is the only 'bad' word he's used that they can remember.

3. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    tony dungy is a great man. i feel really bad for him for past events. i hope he lives a happy life and maybe he'll coach again

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  4. anlgp

It's not 100% official yet there's a PC at 5. If he leaves I don't think he's coming back.

5. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Class act!

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Tony was sure one of the most respected coaches in the league. He sure had a great career.

It was pretty odd, the PC though. I was listening to it on Sirius NFL on the way home... If the screen on my radio didn't say it was a tony dungy retirement press conference, I could had sworn he had died. People were crying it sounded like, the owner was reading a poem... it was just weird...

Good for dungy though, hope he enjoys his life away from the game

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He's earned the retirement. Great coach, one of the best of the last decade. Doesn't get mentioned often enough.

It's too bad the Colts are so stocked with talent, otherwise this would help our playoff chances next year.

8. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    He is a great man, great coach, and great a great teacher. You guys think he is Hall of Famer. I do.

9. anlgp

He'll be in the HOF

10. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Good Coach/Great man.

11. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    An excellent coach and one of the best player-friendly coaches ever. He's earned a little rest and with what's been going on in terms of personal life, not a minute too soon.

12. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Wish him the best. I still remember when he lost his son, I felt so bad for him. Seems like a great guy.

13. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    one of the classest guys in the football.Gos to show that not only the loud mouth tough guys can have success coaching.

unluckyluciano and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, him losing his son was big. He's rebounded pretty damn well I'd say.

15. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They might suffer a minor setback but with Peyton they'll probably be fine assuming Tony's replacement is halfway decent.

Anyway, I'm glad he won a Super bowl, couldn't happen to a better guy.

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It will be Jim Caldwell, the Colts assistant HC. Hes been with the team for like 7 years and I guess is an offensively oriented guy with QB expertise.
    Hearing the offense wont skip a beat, but the defense might get an overhaul with more physical cover corners, a bigger DL and less of dungys zone pass def.

17. anlgp

Yeah they've had someone waiting in the wings for quite some time. It's not as if Peyton needs to be groomed or anything but it will be good when it is time for him to retire that someone will be sitting there that can coach an offense.

The defense he's going to try and put in place sounds like a parcells defense.

18. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    that was my thoughts. Funny how everyone talks about the coaches who yell, and have the fire and blah blah. And heres a guy who completely defied all those notions and was successful.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Do you by any chance have a link to his plans on defense? I'd be interested to read that because they would definitely have to beef up the defensive line as you mention. Their defensive line weight average is roughly 265 lbs. which is incredibly low compared to others. They rely on their quickness and pursuit of ball carriers to make plays. If they do make a defensive change, it'll be something to keep an eye on. I wonder how long it would take them to adjust.