1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Marino's Father Passes Away

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Dec 7, 2008.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    It was just mentioned on CBS.

My condolences to Dan and his family. I remember that his father was a huge inspiration for him. Sad news.

2. Thoughts and prayers to the Marino family... :(

dolphindebby and njfinfan like this.
  3. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Rip :(

4. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    I just turned on CBS for the pregame show and wondered why he wasn't there. God Bless the family and may he rest in peace.

5. finsmx

finsmx Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Monterrey, Mexico
    May he RIP :(

6. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    They just showed Dan's HOF speech where he was talking to/about his father to close the segment. Pretty touching.

7. Very touching... made me cry... :(

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Sad news indeed. It was Dan Marino Sr. who taught his son that quick release. R.I.P.

9. dolphinsgirl

dolphinsgirl New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Central PA
    Thoughts and prayers are with the greatest QB in history!

dolphindebby likes this.
  10. IceDragon

IceDragon Season Ticket Holder

Mar 22, 2008
    Muck and unluckyluciano like this.
  11. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    R.I.P. Mr. Marino.

12. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    My thoughts and prayers are also with the family..

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    thoughts and prayers out to the Marino family...

14. greyeagl53

greyeagl53 Active Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Central Florida
    I was wondering why they were showing Dan's HOF speech. I turned on the pregame just in time to see him finish and show his dad. RIP Mr Marino

15. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Our thoughts and prayers are with Dan and his family.
    His father was an inspiration and a good role model for Dan Marino to follow.
    His father in his lifetime got to see his son become one of the greatest Quarterbacks to ever play in the NFL and to have a career that was a shining example for kids to follow.
    I am sure he was very proud of Dan's accomplishments and the fact that his son was never an embarrasement but a source of pride for his team and family.

16. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Thoughts and prayers to the entire Marino Family. Terrible time of the year to lose a loved one. :(

17. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

This will be really difficult for Dan. His dad was his hero and friend. My thoughts and prayers are with Dan and his family.

18. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Was wondering why he wasn't there this morning.

RIP Big Dan.

19. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Damn. Sad news. R.I.P. Big Dan.

20. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Link

RIP Big Dan.

21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    :(

sad, sad news. RIP. My thoughts and prayers go out to Dan and his family.

22. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    Thank you Dan snr for Dan jr may you R.I.P

23. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    My thoughts and prayers to Dan & his family.

24. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    RIP. Thoughts and prayers for Dan and his family.

25. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Sad day for Dan Marino, and I had no idea Dan Marino senior was ill.

What I always loved about Dan Marino Sr. was Dan always said his dad was his greatest hero. His dad as some of you know delivered newspapers for his family in Pittsbugh and made a living at it.

This compliment to a father is far greater than A Super Bowl Ring.

Dan senior, if you can read this, thanks for raising a great son.....and for being a great father and loving husband...!

If not for you, we'd never have all the great memories......

d-1

26. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    When I heard, I kept thinking about my dad...I lost him back in 2003 to congestive heart failure. Lost my mom three years later the same way.
    It doesn't get any easier. Every time the Fins win, I feel like I should pick up the phone and call him to talk about the game...

27. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    From Dan's great upbringing he raised a great family.....

DANIEL MARINO(the players son): Good afternoon. I’ve always felt that I was truly blessed in so many ways. But, most importantly, in the way that no one could ask for better examples of people than my parents. There’s never been a situation that they didn’t know how to approach or how to act in. They’ve always treated people with so much compassion and are so grateful for everything in their lives. I think that all five of my brothers and sisters would agree that we were all so lucky to be raised by such wonderful people.

My father has made a lot of smart decisions on the field but I believe his smartest decision he’s ever made was one he made off the field. He chose my mom. Together, they have shaped me and my family in such a meaningful and positive way. And, so rarely do you find parents so willing to give you everything in return only their children’s happiness. My parents will belong in me and my siblings’ personal Hall of Fame always for that.

Daniel Marino I’m often asked the question, ‘are you a football player?’ or ‘does your dad want you to play football or sports?’ It may seem to many people that that would be appropriate but my father has always supported me in whatever I chose to do. Whether I was performing, whether Joey was golfing, whether Allie was horse riding, whether Michael was dee-jaying. As, I’m sure he support Niki and Lia in whatever passion they choose to pursue.

My father’s friends have always said to me repeatedly how proud he is of his children. They tell me that he can’t seem to stop talking about us. My father only asks us to work hard at what we do. It seems odd to me that such a modest request can make my father so happy. But, our passion for something seems to make him as eager and as happy as if he was waiting to go on the field. For this, me and my siblings are all so very fortunate.

Perhaps this can shed some light on the man off the field – the family man who has always been a loving father. My father played quarterback for the Miami Dolphins from the years 1983 to 1999. I don’t claim to be the biggest football fan in my household. Aside from my dad, my brothers Joey and Michael have that honor.

Growing up watching my dad was difficult with a pre-teen attention span and even tougher with a pre-school attention span. However, from that time I will never forget the scars on my arms from my mom’s fingernails when she squeezed them for dear life watching my dad on the field. But now that I’m older I can appreciate more what my father did.

And, I sometimes watch my father’s old games on tape and I can’t put into words the experience of watching your father when he was young win a game.

When he yells, when he skips off the field, hugs his teammates and his coach, a look of competitive accomplishment on his face. That look always made him stand out for me a little on the field. I don’t think my father was ever out of the game. If you watch him from the sideline, he watches every play with intensity. Eager when the defense is keeping the opposing team from getting down the field. And, if the Dolphins had a bad play, the cameras would have to cut away for the family audiences.

My father is the most passionately competitive person I know. If there’s one thing you can say about my father is that his competitive spirit matches his ability as a player.

In the same way that my grandfather is my father’s hero, my father has always been my hero, and in the same way, I hope my children will look up to me one day. But, it would be selfish of me to say that I’m the only one who looks upon my father as a hero.

My father has given so much to the community he lives in. The time he has spent with the sick and terminally ill children; the Dan Marino Children’s Hospital, founded for children with neurological disorders; the Dan Marino Foundation that has worked with children’s charities in South Florida have, I’m sure, all earned him the status of hero with many other people. Both my parents have given so much time to helping the community in which they live. And my father’s hand reaches far beyond the community he lives in as well.

My father was always committed to his team and his teammates. Even if my father scored four touchdowns and failed to win, it was always to him, a lost game. The Miami Dolphins were and still are my dad’s team. More than that, they are in a way his extended family. My father’s seventeen years was spent with one franchise, the franchise he loved. And that seems to be so rare in professional sports today, I thought it was worth mentioning.

I always felt that talent if nothing else is something that you don’t have control over. My father was very lucky in that department. But, it’s what you do with your talent that counts. My father, when he played, worked his hardest and always played to the best of his abilities. I think that’s all a coach could ask of a player, and furthermore all you could ask of a person.

One thing, when I started writing this speech which I realized was that you have to start thinking very hard about how you feel about your father. And, I realized how completely unselfish my father’s life has been.

His induction into the Hall of Fame is recognition of his abilities and career on the field. But, I personally feel, it is also in recognition of father’s life in many ways. A life that was never about him but about his team, his fans, his community, his friends, and his family.

I’d like to introduce to you my father, my hero, and my friend. Ladies and gentlemen, Dan Marino .

28. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Great post Rick....somehow they can hear...

d-1

Rick 1966 likes this.