1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clintonomics re-examined..

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by padre31, Nov 15, 2008.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- The Myths Of Clintonomics

What I find interesting is the idea that somehow, the dot.com bubble was not involved in Clintonomics, I recall the 90's, there were absurd prices being paid for companies that had negative earnings simply because they were the "new" thing, companies like Gateway and WebMd or Pets.com.

Now it is my suspiscion that what will happen is new "carbon neutral" mandates will be passed into law, the idea being that "green tech" will then boost the economy, Utilities are one of the last solvent cash based enterprises in the US now that Banking has collapsed, but and it is a large but, the cost for such a "boom" will be paid for by 85 yr olds in the form of higher energy bills.

TANSTAAFL

TANSTAAFL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    *ponders if he should start a thread about Reaganomics*

DevilFin13 likes this.
  3. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    The dot com bubble had a lot to do with it. The extra social security taxes it generated actually caused a surplus at social security. That surplus was then used to pay down the public debt.

If I remember correctly, I'm thinking the "surplus" was a 10 year projection. A projection that assumed we wouldn't need our continually stripped down, and suddenly thrifty military any time soon. Oops.