1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobless Rate bolts to 14 Year High at 6.5%

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Jobless rate bolts to 14-year high of 6.5 percent - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – The nation's unemployment rate bolted to a 14-year high of 6.5 percent in October as another 240,000 jobs were cut, stark proof the economy is almost certainly in a recession.
    The new snapshot, released Friday by the Labor Department, showed the crucial jobs market deteriorating at an alarmingly rapid pace.

About 10.1 million people were unemployed in October, an increase of 2.8 million over the past year. A year ago, the unemployment rate stood at 4.8 percent.

joeydolfan likes this.
  2. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Unfortunately Bro it looks to only get worse over the next six months to a year. The layoffs from corporate America have been coming in droves over the last 6 weeks and are just now beginning to ramp up.

We are in for a rough ride, but on a brighter note, we are not the only ones in this fix. It has spread across the globe. That was a futile attempt at sarcasm.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  3. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I know brother :wink2:That is why when I talk to people who have a job, I tell bust your butt at work, and make sure you keep your job. Cali could see unemployment numbers above 9% as early as next year. I sure hope it doesn't get that bad.

joeydolfan likes this.
  4. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Honestly Bro, I could very well see unemployment across the country heading north of 10% and it really kills me to say that. The election was of monumental importance to the country but at the same time it was a distraction to many in the country and kept their focus away from what is really happening in the economy.

I have never seen anything like this, I talk to office personnel, clients from around the globe and almost everyone has a sense of fear of what is coming next. Throwing money at the problem is not going to make it go away like Congress has been trying to do.

One of the 1st steps to begin to get us back on our feet would be infra structure, especially with energy to begin the cycle of energy independence, but it will also create millions of new jobs.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    In better news, gas is currently under $2/gal a lot of places.

You know what though, the unemployment rate is so high, but every day I look in a newspaper (no matter where I am), I see at least 25/30 help wanted/ job opening ads. I always see signs for "now hiring" as well. So I really don't know how bad I can feel for some people who are unemployed. I mean it sucks, yea. But there are plenty of places hiring IMO.

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    And potentially take away plenty if coal/gas go to the wayside.

There are always two sides to a coin.

7. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Pete I hear your thoughts. When you apply for jobs and you can do them with your eyes closed you have done it for so long, but then they tell you are over qualified, don't respond to your resume, or can find someone who will do it a lot cheaper. Here is an example for you. A job that was on Monster locally here in Carlsbad. I was excited. The job said salary range from 30-65,000.00 depending on experience. They had a problem with opening my resume. They asked me to copy and paste it in the email. They also ask what is the minimum you will do the work for. You say 50,000.00 and you hear nothing back. Someone said they would do it even lower, and they get the job. It is cut throat right now, and employers have the upper hand because so many people are out of work.

SICK and Coral Reefer like this.
  8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I have not known job hunts that weren't cut-throat. :confused2:

I mean, so next time the person can say they'd do it for $40k or $45k, and maybe they'd get it.

9. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    May have to bro. The other thought that crosses ones mind is how low do I have to go?:wink2:

10. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Louisiana? :lol:

11. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    Heard on the radio this morning that Mattel Toys will be laying off over 1000 employees.

I tell you, even if you think your job is crappy, keep it. Things are getting scary in the job world.

I looked in the classifieds on Sunday and there were only 11 jobs offered.:pity:

This is definetly not a joking matter by any means.I just hope my job doesn't tell me they are laying off.

SICK, cnc66 and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  12. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    If you have a job now, bust your butt, and ensure you keep it.:wink2:

13. Styla

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    Your not lying man. I have too many friends losing there jobs.:sad:

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Sorry to hear that. I have had friends lose there jobs along with myself, and I am trying everyday to get another job. I am looking as far as LA if I can take the Metrolink train up there.

15. Styla

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    Jobs in the LA area are very tough to come by now. I am planning on looking at all the sports shops, like Sport Chalet,Sports Authority, Big 5 for part time work, just to be on the safe side.

Hell, I might even apply to be Santa in the malls.:yes::lol:

SICK and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  16. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Scary thought

17. Styla

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    :lol: Hey I'd make a good Santa.:yes:

cnc66 and FinSane like this.
  18. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    My wife just told me another one of good friends could lose his job very soon.:no:

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I never insinuated it wasn't serious? Sometimes you need to consolidate and set your sights lower for some time in order to get bye. When things are turned upside down, can one expect for traditional actions/efforts to lead to the answers they are looking for?

20. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Pete I wish I could move to other cities that I know I would find work right away. However my wife is self-employed and has clientele from over 20 years here, and is busy right now. Plus I cannot move as I have to help care for a young father in law that was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the young age of 61, and can know longer drive.

21. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I understand Pete, but that I know has already taken place.:wink2:

Stitches likes this.
  22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Different strokes for different folks. I know, not everyone can move, but I refuse to believe that every single person that is "losing" their job is in the same situation as you.

23. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Pete speaking on my story alone, if I have to lose my house to take care of my family to stay here, I will, because my family comes first. I look for work everyday of the week, and 2-3 times a day. I appreciate your outlook, but right now there are so many of us there hurting, that this is a very hard topic for us to swallow.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  24. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I understand that you didn't apply to every person. People that are at the last wits end, find this very hard, emotional, and stressful, and don't know where to turn. Some families may not have a roof over there head any longer, and have almost exhausted every phone call they can make. They feel beaten, and like they are taking on the world by themselves.:sad:

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not to get too personal, but just wondering if your Dad lives with you?

I'm sure if he doesn't you have explored living with him or vica versa in order to save some $.

I mean, I am moving for work at the end of the month (not to find work, but still for work; relocation), but I am moving in with my Dad in order to save some money until I can actually have enough to put a roof over my family.

26. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not really any place specific that you can. Just hit up every job you think you (not you specifically) may qualify for and some that you think you could do even if you don't qualify.

27. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    My father lives in North Carolina. My Father in law is the one I have to help. They have a small house with 5 dogs and cats already. We have three dogs of our own. Things will work out one way or another for us here, we are not worried. I know of families that have it so much worse then us.:no: The biggest things that matter to so many of us, is that we have our family, and that is the most important thing in my life, is taking care of them. I will find a job hopefully soon enough, but If I don't I help around the house, and caddy for my father in law so he can go golfing and enjoy his life that will ultimately be cut short from the Alzheimer's.

Coral Reefer and njfinfan like this.
  28. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    LA Times?

29. Styla

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

No a different paper, but LA times aren't great either, I even have them e-mail me jobs. Not alot at all.

Stitches likes this.
  30. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    The naivety of those that have yet to experience the true trials of life, responsibilities, financial support of family etc.

I see comments like this so often.

For example, just the other day I go into a Chipotle.
    It's slow so I ask this college kid who is the Asst. mgr. how the stores business is doing as the rest. industry has been hit hard. The kid says that the GM says bus. is down quite a bit but he dosen't believe him. "The economy isn't affecting me at all, it's all a scare tactic" he boasts. I ask what he does and he replies "I go to USF and work here part time". I ask how he pays for school and he says. "I make my spending money here and my parents pay for school. I ask him how his parents are doing, the ones with all this financial responsibility of paying for a house, a life and supporting kids and he says "I don't know, they seem fine". :lol:

Sure there are places hiring but for what jobs?
    You've got professionals working entry level jobs that still consider themselves "unemployed" because they are not in their field and are not making enough money to support their families. I met a lady a couple of weeks ago that owned her own Brokerage firm. It's going belly up, she can't find any professional opportunities and has resorted to serving Pizza at a Sbarros. A job she is clearly overqualified for but luckily she knows the manager or she'd still be without an income. Even with the job she has a family to support, car and house payments. Shes' put too much work into education, training and her professional career to have to be forced into a position of menial labor at this point in her life but here she is.

Also, just because you see "employment ads" in the paper dosen't mean squat. To cover their arses on fair hiring practices most companies choose to post any job openings for consideration. Many companies today are downsizing and merging dept's. Many jobs or depts. are being merged. These jobs get listed often but are not avail since it's already decided that another dept. or employee will be taking on those additional tasks. How do I know this? Because I've been told this directly from employers.

You also mention how simple it is to up and move. :lol:
    Many people have deep family ties, responsibilities locally or a spouse that has a good career that would be crazy to leave especially in this market.

Not always so simple.

In addition, in case you haven't noticed while deeming this economy and employment crisis were in as a farce, were also in a housing market free fall.
    People need to be able to sell their homes to move. For many right now that home is an anchor preventing them from being able to "simply up and move".

These are just a few things to consider before you simplify the serious issues people are dealing with today.

You dont know if you can feel sorry for those that are unemployed?
    Don't. No one needs your sympathy. Just don't piss on people when they are down because of legitimate and documented problems. Were not talking about the chronically unemployed professional welfare crew here, were talking about high numbers of people that have been productive members of the workforce, are educated and have skills to offer.

SICK, TheMageGandalf and DonShula84 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.