1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

forrest gump explains the mortgage mess

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by dolfan06, Oct 22, 2008.

1. dolfan06

dolfan06 New Member

May 19, 2008
    Arkansas
    This is the best explanation I've heard. Not sure what it says about me to have to have a Forrest Gump explanation to understand this mess…
    Mortgage Backed Securities are like boxes of chocolates. Criminals on Wall Street stole a few chocolates from the boxes and replaced them with turds. Their criminal buddies at Standard & Poor rated these boxes AAA Investment Grade chocolates. These boxes were then sold all over the world to investors. Eventua lly somebody bites into a turd and discovers the crime. Suddenly nobody trusts American chocolates anymore worldwide.
    Hank Paulson now wants the American taxpayers to buy up and hold all these boxes of turd-infested chocolates for $700 billion dollars until the market for turds returns to normal. Meanwhile, Hank's buddies, the Wall Street criminals who stole all the good chocolates are not being investigated, arrested, or indicted.
    Mama always said: 'Sniff the chocolates first, Forrest'.
    Quote of the day from a fund manager:
    'This is worse than a divorce... I've lost half of my net worth and I still have my wife..'
    The bailout, a different perspective:
    Back in 1990, the US Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it. They failed and it closed. Now we are trusting the economy of our country to a pack of nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling booze?

my 2 cents likes this.