1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ketosis Based Diet.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mindwarp, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Mindwarp

Mindwarp FFH

Dec 13, 2007
    Over There.
    Hey guys a few of you guys have asked me and Sick the diet we did to loose the weight.. he is currently on it. I did it before and went from 315lbs to 250 lbs I am about to get on it again to go down to 220 lbs

Here it is..
    I will start off by telling you this diet is not EASY and you need to have Dedication and commitment to do this right. But if you do you will notice the difference right away!

You need to eat 4 small meals a day and 1 Lean and green Meal so a total of 5 meals

your meals trough out the day need to be something small like a hold you over snack.. but what it does is it keeps your metabolism going.

for your 1 TRUE meal you want to keep it lean meat, fish, or Chicken Breast and Salad. like lettuce and tomatoes

Try to keep your Carb intake for the day under 40 carbs and your calorie intake for the day under 1500 and try to go for a jog or a walk after your dinner or whenever you have your larger meal (2 miles if possible)

If you keep 3 hours in between meals it should help you not be hungry. for example:
    8am (breakfast snack) 11am ( Snack) 2:00 pm (Lunch snack) 5:00pm (Late snack) 8:00 Dinner. If your hungry between snacks have water. If you want to chew on something.. Get Dill pickles they are mostly water and have no calories. 1-3 a day should be OK in between snacks.

Also make sure you drink about half a gallon of water a day. Your body retains a lot of water if your not constantly drinking it. Drinking Half a Gallon (or 8 cups a day) will make you Pee like a race horse and get rid of all that water weight!

This wont be easy at first and the first 3-4 days of eating like this will be hell, you will have a headache and be moody, but on that 5th day, you will be fine and eating like that will be easy.

Also, I recommend you picking up Lots and Lots of Sugar free gum, cause your breath will stick from the ketosis. LOL

I will post another Thread on working out.

finfan01, opfinistic, anlgp and 5 others like this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ur "tags" are awesome....

for the record....i started this diet monday......at 293.5......woke up this morning weighing in at 283.5

anlgp likes this.
  3. GoPhins!

GoPhins! Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 29, 2007
    Winter Garden, FL
    Big E likes this.
  4. Mindwarp

Mindwarp FFH

Dec 13, 2007
    Over There.
    finswin56 likes this.
  5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

azfinfanmang, Big E and Phinperor like this.
  6. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    It's what happens inside your body when you oxidize large amounts of fatty acids.

In addition to producing other toxic byproducts, ketones that are produced act as strong acids and impair the oxygen carrying cells (hemoglobin) from strongly binding oxygen. Acidic conditions is one trigger for a decreased affinity of oxygen - in low pH heme transitions into conformational form that causes oxygen to be delivered to tissues.

Short story - if you do the diet, monitor your ketone bodies and expect to be more tired that you were before you limiting carbs.

I can only speak to the biochemistry part of the process. A physician can better explain any other potential side effects if you allow your body to become too ketotic.

7. Mindwarp

Mindwarp FFH

Dec 13, 2007
    Over There.
    The tiredness goes away by day 4-5 as your body adpat to having less cabs and burning fat.

8. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    No bro. It's not the adjustment to having less easily obtained glucose. You adjust to having less available oxygen. The affinity of heme to oxygen in acidic conditions doesn't change over time and its a good thing it doesn't. :)

9. Mindwarp

Mindwarp FFH

Dec 13, 2007
    Over There.
    who the **** need oxygen? :tongue2: and by the way, when I had my check up I ran this diet through my DR cause I heard **** like this before, his only concered was that I getting my Recommended Vitamins so I added One a Day for Men to the mix... Forgot to throw that in as well.

Big E likes this.
  10. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    You lost me, so how did YOU get your vitamins?

...:wink2:

Big E and Boik14 like this.
  11. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    It is not bull ****, bro. Like I told you by IM, I am not trying to dissuade people from doing this diet -- it works. What I am doing is trying to convince people to do this diet under supervision so that they don't become ill.

I invite your physician or any of our resident M.D. (or D.O.) to debate the issue that ketoacidosis can be fatal.

GreysonWinfield, gunn34 and finswin56 like this.
  12. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Any idea what this kind of diet would do to someone who's hypoglycemic?

13. Mindwarp

Mindwarp FFH

Dec 13, 2007
    Over There.
    true with any diet you should always consult a DR.

14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Good job Walt and Sick. Keep up the great work. It takes effort and commitment and many of us are familiar with what a struggle what loss can be.... :hi5:

15. aero zeppelin

aero zeppelin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 4, 2007
    I think if I recall correctly I read somewhere on the board that you were a doctor so I imagine you were making a point by asking the question. In case not I will provide some sort of answer, although I am by no means an expert so do not rely on anything I say as scripture.
    As a diabetic this diet would probably kill me.
    I am not saying this is a bad diet, or an unsafe one. Clearly it has given some great results. But before anyone tries a diet like this I would STRONGLY advise seeing a doctor and making sure you do not have any blood sugar/diabetes related issues. By eating such a small amount of carbs, I imagine someone prone to hypoglycemic issues could face serious medical risks and possibly death.
    Again I am not trying to deter anyone from using the diet as it seems to work real well, but it is VITAL that you know your body before you try any new diet. As a diabetic I have had weird reactions to different types of "diets" not to lose weight, but just different styles of eating, and it is extremely important that anyone with blood sugar related issues monitor their diet because serious consequences can result.
    Diet's for people with blood sugar problems can be real effective. I lost 40 pounds in one year (185-145) and I was never extremely obese, just out of shape. At this point I am actually having trouble keeping weight on because of how my eating habits have changed, but I am by far in the best shape of my life, so some sort of diet is definitely possible no matter what your medical issues. You just need to find what works for your body and ensure that whatever you are doing is safe.

finswin56 and JCowScot like this.
  16. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    ^^Best sound diet advice I've heard in a while:yes:...

17. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    You think far too highly of me :hi5: I'm no where near medically trained.
    I did have an idea of what this would probably do, as I am hypoglycemic. In the past I tried the South Beach diet, and was a mess. Aside from my blood sugar crashing all the time, I completed phase one by losing only 4 lbs. Most people lose a ton during that time, and I was followed it strictly. I was actually hoping someone would have the science behind why the two don't mix.

I am confused by what you said though. I could have sworn that diabets were very successful with the Atkins diet, in both losing weight and keeping their blood sugar levels down?

18. Celtkin

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    I would consult with your doctor first Joe, but by the nature of the diet, your blood sugars will be lower and should be safe for diabetics. Just remember to monitor your ketone levels and, like I said, check with your physician first.

finswin56 likes this.
  19. aero zeppelin

aero zeppelin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 4, 2007
    I imagine some diabetics (particularly type 2 are extremely successful with atkins, but diabetes (in my case type 1, another words I don't make insulin) is hard to control. I am not that well versed on the small details of type two, but if you would like I can try to type something up explaining how I understand type one and two to be different.... if you are interested.

By changing a diet to an essentially carb free one things can become difficult. Diabetes is managed by balancing carbohydrates (turn to sugar in your body) and insulin levels. For me, if I do not have a certain number of carbs my blood sugar becomes very out of whack. If i go completely off of insulin my blood sugar goes to hell and is very random (often very high). If I try eating low carb with reduced insulin I also seem to have lots of problems running very low (to low, where hypoglycemic events can take place). For me it is easiest to do a sort of middle balance with carbs and insulin.

I am on the insulin pump and have a certain number and type of carbs I try to eat at each meal because that is how MY blood sugar levels are best controlled, but every person/diabetic is different. Again, this is all personal experience and research, no medical training what so ever...but any person who suspects hypoglycemic problems should be very careful with low carb diets. Particularly if you are not diabetic and just get low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) because I THINK that means that your body is already producing more insulin than is needed at points and by drastically limiting your carbs you can be potentially causing serious problems. I have always had problems running low though, and my doctor finds my diabetes case to be an odd one.

Hope I clarified things.

The bottom line is blood sugar issues or not it is very important to consult a someone with a medical background before starting any sort of more dramatic diet.

Oh and as far as why hypoglycemia and low carb diets don't mix. Bottom line (I think, could be wrong) is that non diabetics with hypoglycemic issues are already at points producing more insulin than is necessary to keep their blood sugar in a normal range. So combining a lower number of carbs (carbs raise blood sugar) and still producing a higher amount of insulin (insulin lowers/controls blood sugar) can cause problems for both diets and health in non diabetics with hypoglycemia. But again, I am no doctor, just a diabetic giving a SOMEWHAT educated opinion, mostly based on personal experience.

finswin56 likes this.
  20. raffone

raffone New Member

Jul 5, 2009
    basically, this is the atkins diet...I did it and my chronic stomach problems went away, it is a very fun diet, if you like meat, chicken, fish, but, don't cheat, you will feel a lot better for sure, you will get more lung and heart power
    but, it isn't a cure all, but, it will help

21. raffone

raffone New Member

Jul 5, 2009
    yea, you went to low with the carbs and too high with the activity
    brain burn, a lot of people get that

22. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm interested in whether the weight has stayed off. I know I've been hearing a lot of people talking about this diet and how they gained it all back very quickly.

23. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    some more info:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090806/hl_nm/us_potassium_kidney_1

Don't know if this applies equally to adults, but I think the chances are better that it does than not.

24. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    A healthy keto diet that I often do is Dave Palumbo's cutting diet. Amazing results.

25. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

user aero zeppelin has the coolest handle i've seen here in a long time.

my whole thing with diets is exercise more eat less?

am i missing something?

26. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    say what lol? you lost me.

27. finfan01

finfan01 U-C-F Knights!

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Thinkin of giving this diet a shot...try to drop 40 or something like that...hopefully it works!