1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping your Luggage Ahead.

Discussion in 'Business Networking' started by Sethdaddy8, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'm developing a Luggage Delivery business with a few partners. It now often costs $40 for the first bag and up to $125 to check your bags at the airport on your flight. Luggage Ahead will be a first class service where a major overnight carrier collects your bag before your trip, and has it waiting for you at your destination. There are currently luggage companies out there doing this same service, but at astronomical prices. We will be able to offer much more competitive pricing for the same services, truly making it more worthwhile to send your luggage ahead, rather than paying to wait and check it at the airport. We hope to be up and running by 2009

Thoughts?

Update: We are open for business! We have, by a rather large margin, the best rates among all luggage shipping companies. If we could just get our SEO and search results to be the best among all companies!
    check us out.

http://www.luggageahead.com

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    2k5, Jt0323, cnc66 and 3 others like this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think it's an incredible Idea SD. I love living in a Democracy, where a bad situation turns into a good situation for somebody else

If you can really follow through on this, and the bags are delivered directly to my desitnation, I can easily see you being the next Bill Gates :up:

cnc66, unluckyluciano and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    as long as my stuff doesn't end up in jersey and your kids wearing my clothes...............

good idea though.

4. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thanks for the nice feedback. my family has been in the transportation business for amost fifty years. needless to say, we have many connections and contacts thoughout the industry. we do have an amazing opportunity to help the public and help ourselves.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    cnc66 and alen1 like this.
  5. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Incredible idea. Everybody would use this, especially if the price is better.

I'm sure you've probably already thought of this, but it would be great if you could schedule it and pay for it online ahead of time.

Make sure you let us know if/when you get this off the ground. I'm sure a lot of us have contacts we could refer to your service.

cnc66 and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Thank you my friend. And absolutely, its a call ahead, or book on-line service. We'd recover your bags a few days prior to your departure, and have them waiting for you at your destination.

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How about shipping my apartment ahead when I move? :lol:

But great idea man.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  8. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I've been doing it for years. It was well worth it, even when there were no check in fees. Good luck with it. I'm confident it will catch on.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Awesome idea Seth. I would use something like that if I wasnt a ridiculously light packer. Anyway if it gets going Ill be happy to refer you business. :hi5:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  10. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks for all the positive feedback everybody. I do appreciate it. We hope to be running by 2009. I'll certainly keep you all posted.

cnc66 likes this.
  11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    With crappy service, numerous lost bags, and now charging not only for second bags, but FIRST bags, at quite high prices, the airlines are shooting themselves in the foot. There is definately a window of opportunity for a convenience company to come and do what your proposing. How nice that you dont need to lug your bags all over the airport, stand in endless lines to check them, recover them, pay increasingly high amounts of money just to be the last person at the carousel watching the last sad bags go round and round wondering what the hell city yours ended up in.
    Now you just get on your plane, fly off, and poof, there they are! Question ... by destination, do you mean at a destination airport, or do you take them right to the hotel/house/business of your customer. Either way, if its not very expensive, it could become quite popular.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  12. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The bags will deliver directly to your home, hotel(waiting with concierge), office, villa, wherever the consumer desires. Tracking and accountability is another plus too.
    Right now its a very high end luxury. A typical single 45 lb suitcase from NY to LA costs in the $300 to $500 range, depending on the level of service you choose, 2 day, economy, overnight. That's what existing companies charge. We're looking to blow these rates out of the water, at least by 30-50%. This would obviously make it more accessible to the average person.

13. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    Now this fee, is that solely based on actual weight or DIMM weight? Would there be a way to leverage size and weight to get the most of the packaging? Suitcase are quite bulky and also heavy when empty (I have a suitcase that is 15 pounds empty) would you offer packaging cases to clients? If the luggage is going door to door, then there wouldn't be the need for bulky suitcases.

cnc66 and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  14. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    suitcases don't normally dim out, so it'd be actual weight we'd be charging on(and actual weight these present companies are charging on). In instances of surfboards or guitars, that would probably be dim weight. We're going to develop a simple rate chart based on a variety of suitcase/golf bag/garment bag sizes. the goal is to make it as simple and fast as possible for the consumer.

you raise an interesting point about offering packaging solutions. Theoretically, people could go buy a $2.00 box at Staples, and throw all their stuff in there. At the same time, we want to keep our identity as a luggage shipping company. But that is a notion to be considered. Perhaps creating a lightweight travel case, throw some logos on there for advertising, available for purchase at a reasonable price. The type of thing where if you used it once, it'd pay for itself. thank you for the interest. id be happy to hear anymore suggestions or questions!

cnc66 likes this.
  15. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Dude I'm just waiting for this thing to get off the ground.

I have a high-end concierge client here locally I'd love to refer you to. :)

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  16. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I appreciate that man. I'll certainly keep you updated. The goal is still to have a tangible operation running by Jan. 09'.

17. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    You haven't seen my wife pack lol! Huge ****ing cases, filled with shoes and 20 change of clothes for a weekend trip.

No problems, hope it added a positive thought for how to separate yourself and also keep costs to you and client down. Down well I think it could add a different take. Plus at the hotel, you break the box down, store em under the bed and no more luggage clutter! :D

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  18. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Awesome idea. I travel all the time ... this last trip it cost me $65 to check my bag ... and that was just one.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  19. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    we're getting close. 6-8 more weeks and we should be open for business, helping make everyones lives a little bit easier.

20. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Excellent, make sure you post your company link here. So we can get to it.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  21. FinzFan

FinzFan Get Out of My Goat Locker

When you get a website I'll give you a link on mine, preferred vendor, alliance. I have about 6 sites that I can do that with.

22. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks a lot man. I appreciate that. We're hoping the site is up Dec. 1, and we're operating by mid Dec. trying to speed things along.:up:

FinzFan likes this.
  23. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Question is this domestic only?

24. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    no, international too, serving most countries in the world. however, our initial qoute system and web orders will only be domestic. international orders will need to be placed through our 888 number. thats how most of the other companies in this industry work.

25. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
  26. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    sweet! you even posted some of your own vacation pics!!

[​IMG]

finsgirlie likes this.
  27. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Is the link down? I just tried to go there and it came up as a broken link.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  28. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yes sorry, we had it up for a few days, but had to close it for a another week or two to finalize content. thanks for the interest...we're almost there!

azfinfanmang likes this.
  29. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I love this idea. I just flew back to vegas and i hate the luggage process. Waiting on the lines, checking them in, picking them up, making sure its under 50 lbs ect...its annoying...your idea sounds great! and next time i fly i would be interested in doing this. I leave vegas may 9th or 10th...let me know if its up by then!

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  30. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    We should be up by the 3rd week in January.

Jt0323 likes this.
  31. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Still loving this idea brother SD, and in fact with all the current things going on in regards to Airlines and luggage, I once again see this turning into gold.

I imagine the Logistics are incredible, but hang in there brother, and I WILL be keeping an eye as Travel in my future could become a weekly occurance. :up:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    for relatively young guys, im 31, my bro is 42 and our partner 42...we have well over 50 years combined experience in the transportation/shipping industry. so yeah, there will def. be some headaches ahead, but nothing any of us haven't seen before.

to quote Bruce Lee, we'll have to "Be like water", in the beginning and flow and contort to all needs and demands. But we should be so lucky to be scrambling to fill orders. I think we have a great company here, and have the rates and background to make a big splash in this not so well known service industry.

33. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    i love you so much :cry:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  34. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i had a dream you beat George St.Pierre in a UFC title fight, and your last name was Bellichek. I swear. freakin weird.

but lets keep this thread about luggage.

azfinfanmang and unluckyluciano like this.
  35. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Luggage Ahead is open for business !

Nappy Roots likes this.
  36. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Grats!

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  37. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I sent your site to a concierge client of mine.

Her response: "This is genius! Thank you!"

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  38. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks brother. We're currently fine tuning our affiliate program, where they'd, (or anyone in the cust. service/travel industry) get 10% of the gross for getting their customers to use us. There's also a referral program for typical consumers who get up to 5% or 50 bucks off their next order. like i said, we're still working on these things, but its all coming together nicely.

and if you google search luggage shipping, luggage shippers and a plethora of other scenerios describing what we do, we're already near the top of the sponsored links. now we're working on that organic search result ...which should take a few months. pay-per click is kinda pricey.

but you or her can contact me through our website with questions regarding anything site related, if you are indeed interested in pursuing a more intimate relationship with the company.

http://www.luggageahead.com

39. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I like this so much I started my own service at 10% cheaper than what you offer. :shifty:

40. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    oh yea??? well we got ron howard as our spokesperson...

and can you say EXCLUSIVITY CLAUSE !?!!??!:tongue2:

opfinistic likes this.