1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseball trade

Discussion in 'Other Fantasy Sports' started by Regan21286, Jul 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    So I got an intriguing offer:

Jose Reyes, Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Mussina for Magglio Ordonez, JJ Hardy, and Cole Hamels

Right now, I'm first in the rotisserie league and it might be nice to cement that lead (roughly 10 points right now) with some added SB, which I sorely lack in. But the guy offering it is currently #2 and I don't want to give him any advantages. So should I take it or not?

My roster

C - Russell Martin
    1B - Aubrey Huff
    2B - Dustin Pedroia
    3B - Evan Longoria
    SS - James Hardy
    OF - Carlos Lee
    OF - Jason Bay
    OF - Carlos Quentin
    Utility - Alex Rodriguez
    Bench
    James Loney
    Magglio Ordonez
    DL - Juan Pierre

SP - Roy Halladay
    SP - Cole Hamels
    RP - Jonathan Papelbon
    RP - Francisco Rodriguez
    P - Huston Street
    P - Jonathan Broxton
    P - Kerry Wood
    Bench
    Chad Billingsley
    Jake Peavy
    Jair Jurrjens

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im not sure this is a good trade for either team. Ellsbury hasnt done squat in months and if hes not stealing bases and getting slap singles hes useless for fantasy. Hes also got no spot in your lineup.

Hardy sucks, so from that perspective I could see you accepting it since reyes is a huge upgrade and clearly the best player in the deal. I also see no spot for magglio to play

The pickle there is this...Halladay is always injury prone and so is hamels. Halladay is rarely healthy for a full season and Hamels has always missed starts every year he was in the minors and majors. So do feel comfortable only having one of these guys and not the other to fall back on?

The way i would approach it is to try and get reyes for hardy, jurrgens and maggs. Moose's whip would drag you down in a a roto league and Ellsbury like I said hasnt been particularly good. Then what I would do is to try and upgrade 2b with a guy like roberts, figgins or bj upton or an OF slot with someone like a Matt Kemp or BJ upton and make up more steals that way....If not that way then id do nothing at all.You have a ton of power stats looking at that lineup and im not sure how much good it would do for you to try and pursue speed when clearly thats not the strength of that team.

Regan21286 likes this.
  3. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I figured as such. Only thing I liked was Reyes and it seemed the trade would do nothing more than help the #2 team bridge the gap.

Hardy's been hitting well recently and he was an injury replacement for Furcal. I've been trying to unload one of my OF's for some time but really I couldn't get anything of value back and it got to the point that denying someone of that player was just as good a strategy.

Right now, I think I'm a few innings over the max, about 3.5 innings. so injuries won't be too big a factor. I do have Billingsley and Peavy to fall back on so I'm comfortable there and especially with a few decent guys around on FA (Pettitte, Lester, Wakefield).

I've sent a counter-proposal of Reyes, Figgins (2b, 3b, OF would help give me some flexibility), Verlander for Ordonez, Hardy, and Jurrjens. It might be hard though since it seems this guy's an Angels homer.

4. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    the way figgy is goin it may not be that hard but he in the past has gotten hot late in the year, as he did during fantasy playoffs last year.

5. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Main thing is, how bad does this guy want to "knock" me off my post. I've seen him throw away good players for the likes of Casey Kotchman.

6. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    go acquire some angels you can deal him for studs...

7. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Not such a bad idea. :lol:

I got another trade offer from the 9th ranked team that I just can't say no to so I declined this one. Ironically, fantasy coincides with real-life a bit. JJ Hardy, Dustin Pedroia, Jason Bay for Manny Ramirez, Hanley Ramirez, Chase Utley. :pointlol:

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Someone actually offered you those 3 studs? Man, Id like to play in the league full of idiots youre in lol!

9. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    If your commissioner doesnt veto that your leagues a joke...

10. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Must've thrown in the towel and wanted to prevent the pompous jerk who's currently in 3rd from winning. :lol: It's actually a well-rounded league from the top up.

Heh, too bad the commish is on vacation. Only 2 votes against it so far from the #2 and #3 teams. Needs 4 or commish veto. 2 more days and I've made a deal to make my spot at #1 permanent. The league started off rather competitive across the board until a few teams really turned on the jets and pulled away from the pack. Not unlike the actual league. :wink2: