1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Just Damn Funny Tourney - FINALS

Discussion in 'Contest Forum' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Jul 14, 2008.

Who is the Just Damn Funniest?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2008.
  1. Bill Murray

35.7%
  2. George Carlin

64.3%
  1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL BRACKET

THE FINALS

Bill Murray
    CHUCKLE REGION CHAMPION SNL CHAMP - FUNNIER THAN Jon Lovitz (RD1) Norm McDonald (RD2) Adam Sandler (RD3) Chris Farley (RD4) Homer Simpson (RD5) Steve Martin (RD6)
    [​IMG]
    Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today.
    VS.
    George Carlin
    GUFFAW REGION CHAMPION FUNNIER THAN Denis Leary (RD1) Lewis Black (RD2) Stephen Wright (RD3) Bill Cosby (RD4) Rodney Dangerfield (RD5) Monty Python (RD6)
    [​IMG]
    “If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter”

2. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

i don't know how Bill "I only do one character" Murry got this far. he is the least funny person to come out of second city and SNL...that includes Joe "I don't do steroids" Piscapo!

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    at least he didn't have to die to make it this far ;)

4. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    mumble mumble votes for Bill Murray ... mumble mumble best comedians already voted off mumble mumble mumble.

5. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Meatballs
    Caddyshack
    Stripes
    Ghostbusters
    Scrooged
    Quick Change
    What About Bob?
    Groundhog Day
    Kingpin
    Wild Things
    Rushmore
    The Royal Tennenbaums

How many of those were the same character?

6. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Carlin dying only reminded fools who had forgotten his greatness. The rest of us already knew.

Pagan and GISH like this.
  7. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    yeah carlin deserves to be here whether dead or alive...

GISH likes this.
  8. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

they all were.:pity: watching him after a while becomes painful. change the attitude, same character. the first three on this list were his best performances. i think his brother has more range of character than he does.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Some of them are similar I'll concede that. Not all.

Meatballs, Stripes, and Ghostbusters were the "slacker in a role of responsibility" type that he kept playing for a while.

He's never done anything like the Caddy Shack, What About Bob, Kingpin, or Royal Tennenbaums characters before or since.

Section126 and Pagan like this.
  10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Personally, I mmourn for Monty Python. That said, Carlin is intelligent, socially conscious, from the gut humour, which is also damned funny. You have no idea how hard it is to accomplish all of those at once when writing material, let alone be able to perform it well.

I would have to give Carlin the nod over Murray, if I am even allowed to vote. lol. I don't even know the rules.

I find Bill Murray hysterically funny in his deadpan delivery, but don't see the same levels of genius at work with him. He is a great performer, but Carlin CONCIEVED the comedy as well. Creating it and delivering it trumps just delivering it.

But, being a writer, I am biased.

Phinperor likes this.
  11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

lol. I see I missed the vote.

That's okay.

Carlin won. :)

And, btw, to address Dupree's point: I agree that when someone dies we have a reaction of swelling to appreciate them more. However, I think that is natural and right, in that it serves a purpose. Often we fail to reflect on the very things of beauty or value in our lives until we lose them, but our lack of awareness of them doesn't lessen their real value. I think Carlin's death reawakened people to being aware of his incredible talent and comedy. I don't think they were merely pity votes. They were, certainly, remembrance votes in a way, but remembrance and appreciation which were deserved and earned like an ovation at the end of one's command performance, as you take your final bow and exit behind the uncertain curtain and the applause and cacophony of this bustling life dims from earshot.

It is an applause richly deserved by one for whom there shall be no encore.

Bpk

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008