1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team USA Basketball alternates

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Regan21286, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3467851

If you ask me, we could use more big-men on the squad. Howard's been gimpy, Boozer's short, and Bosh isn't exactly an elite rebounder. Honestly, I felt Chandler should've gotten it instead of Prince because of the lack of big men. Or maybe that's just Coach K's preference considering how well Duke's done...

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Chauncey? He said he wouldn't participate due to personal reasons.

3. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Well, he is an alternate, so he might not have to participate much. Frankly I think it was just him trying to ease himself back after an injury.

alen1 likes this.
  4. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Chandler absolutely should have been on the squad over Prince, and I'm a Pistons fan. Prince as 12th man makes no sense at all. If your team is playing well, the 12th man is usually useless anyway. So plan for disaster. To that end, an extra big would be far more valuable. As it stands, with only three bigs (Howard, Boozer and Bosh), opponents are going to do everything they can to draw fouls on Howard, and it's not exactly a secret that there are FIBA referees aplenty who have every borderline call go against the USA.

5. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Exactly my point. If Tim Duncan had any competitive fire to avenge only getting a bronze medal, he would've been my preference (had Bynum not been injured) but Chandler's a fine option. I would not want to see Boozer getting time at C especially considering some of the international teams will field a lot more bigs (i.e. China).

6. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    greg odens gonna dominate '12!!!!!

7. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Duncan has repeatedly said he'll never play FIBA basketball again. If Team USA thought he was even remotely interested, rest assured he'd have been invited.