1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America's Shrinking Food

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ILPhinFan88, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

American supermarkets are epics of excess: it often seems like every item in the store comes in a "Jumbo" size or has "Bonus!" splashed across the label. But is it possible that the amount of food Americans are buying is, in fact... shrinking? Well, yes. Soaring commodity and fuel prices are driving up costs for manufacturers; faced with a choice between raising prices (which consumers would surely notice) or quietly putting fewer ounces in the bag, carton or cup (which they generally don't) manufacturers are choosing the latter. This month, Kellogg's started shipping Apple Jacks, Cocoa Krispies, Corn Pops, Froot Loops and Honey Smacks containing an average of 2.4 fewer ounces per box.

Reducing the size of products as a way of increasing prices is not new. Frito-Lay cut the amount of chips in their bags and Poland Springs reduced its water cooler jugs from 6 to 5 gallons years ago, all while keeping prices the same.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20080630/us_time/americasshrinkingfoodwraps

2. tazman

tazman Back at the Desk

May 15, 2008
    Well now that just stinks!!!! We seem to be getting screwed from all angles anymore. All thanks to friggin oil companies, who continue to thrive and make huge profits. It is time for the governments all over the world to step up to these idiotic oil companies and say how it is going to be. If it doesn't happen soon then all the world economies are going to go down the toilet. The world will then know one of it's darkest periods if this happens. Mark my words!

3. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    less Doritos = dark age

4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    So when I get the munchies, Im screwed? I cant even enjoy life high anymore. Next thing you know, dealers are gonna be cutting back on how much weed they give you all while keeping prices the same.

5. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I've noticed that through the past year or two. At work the other day, one of my co-workers mentioned to me how food prices are getting high and how he use to just go through one box of Cheerios a week and now he seems to go through one and half to two boxes a week...

6. Cuban Dave 9

Cuban Dave 9 Lane Kiffin = A-Clown

Jan 4, 2008
    South Miami/Coral Gables
    "I remember when a dime-bag used to cost a dime"

7. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    :lol:

8. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    :sidelol:

9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Lol guys this has been going on for YEARS, only now people are watching for this kind of thing. Put less in the box, then shrink the box, then put less in the new box, then shrink the new box more etc etc.

10. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    But now its going to be tenfold. Why do I keep getting shorted an extra 3 or 4 pizza rolls every few months?

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I hear you on that!

Had some Pizza Rolls last night.

12. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    mmmm

[​IMG]

alen1 likes this.