1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Soon... "The Just Damn Funny Tourney"

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Jun 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Now that DrAstroZoom's wonderful sidekick tourney has made it to the championship round (get in those votes for Chewie now) I'd like to tease my "Just Damn Funny Tourney"

Right now this thing is mammoth, over 100 contestants right now, and I'd love any suggestions so that I know I'm not overlooking anyone. This is not limited just to stand up comedians, or just actors, I've also included comedy troupes like "The Kids in The Hall" and "The State" as well as including contestants who are creators of "the funny" such as Judd Apatow (40 year old Virgin) and Seth McFarlane (Family Guy)

Most likely I've already included most of the suggestions that will come, but I really want to make sure I don't miss something obvious.

UPDATED:

Head over to the Contests forum, I've created a 35 contestant poll of every last suggestion made in this thread. The top 5 will earn a spot in the Just Damn Funny Tourney.

http://forums.thephins.com/showthread.php?t=10797

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
    Samphin likes this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    The Indian side kick to Josey Wales in outlaw Josey Wales.

Btw was Josey Wales in the bad *** tourny?

3. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Here's some which may be from a little left of centre,

Peter Cook. Acerbically funny British Comediam, regarded by many to be the finest English Comedian ever. Tended to start off innocuoulsy but five minutes later you're rolling on the floor holding your sides and wondering when it slid from 'serious talk' into comdey gold. Classic scene - One legged Tarzan with Dudley Moore.

The Goon Show. The granddaddy of all absurdist comedy. Still the funniest radio show ever made, although Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy comes a close second (NB The original radio show is the funniest iteration of HG2G). Anyone who doubts Spike Milligan's genius as a scriptwriter should check out his infamous Pakistani Dalek sketch, which although not from a Goon show is very close in tone to the Goons.

Paul Hogan. Was a stand up comedian in Australia before Crocodile Dundee, hosted his own sketch show on TV. There are some clips floating around youtube, but they're not amongst his best work.

Fred Dagg (alter ego of Brian Clarke). Funniest thing to come out of New Zealand since sheep jokes. Deadpan comedy at its highest.

Thelma Todd and Zasu Pitts. A female comdienne double act from the early days of talkies. Zasu Pitts is remembered now as the prototype for Olive Oyle and Thelma Todd for her appearances with the Marx Brothers in Horse Feathers and Monkey Business although she played a fairly straight role in those films. Check out Thelma's scene with Buster Keaton in Speak Easily (on youtube) to get a better appreciation of her comedic timing and mimicking skills.
    (PS I am assuming that you don't need to be told that the Marx Brothers deserve a top 5 seeding)

PG Wodehouse. Not a performer but is commonly described as the master of the light comedic novel and short story.

William Shakespeare. The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer's Night dream and the Twelfth Night are very very funny once all the dirty jokes, period slang and innuendo are explained. Bill the Bard had a very dirty mind and once you understand the jokes you get where Benny Hill got his inspiration from.

4. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

When does the tournament for this concept being tired and played out start?

5. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    :lol:

You have four options.

1. It was played out long ago, but we just don't care.
    2. It will be played out when we get to Greatest Frozen Yogurt Flavor Of All Time
    3. This Thursday at noon.
    4. NEVER!

Samphin likes this.
  6. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I honestly don't know any of these people, anyone else? Especially that last guy.

7. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    They are both already in. Martin, Oswalt, and Posehn would be on the bubble, and I don't find Kevin James that funny personally, but obviously many do, I guess he should be included too.

8. Samphin

I am waiting for the Tournament that picks which tournament was the best thread. Then I know I will have to jump off a cliff and never come back to this site.

9. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Trey Parker and Matt Stone are definitely in. And I'm sorry about those other guys too, I find all the ones I know to be very funny. I'm just trying to hit more of a broad appeal, while still squeezing in some personal favorites. 128 entrants and subjective as hell as to who is still off the list.

10. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Of course this means war.

11. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    His'nBeatYour'n and JCowScot like this.
  12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
  13. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Are talking about stand up or on his show because I think he is one of the funniest guys on television.

alen1 likes this.
  14. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    You probably already have most of these covered, but I'd like to pimp Benny Hill, Eddie Izzard, Douglas Adams and Monty Python. Also, Bob Newhart, Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  15. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I'm not claiming he isn't funny or anything, just not my cup of tea.

16. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Most of them are in the tourney.

17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Gene Wilder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His'nBeatYour'n likes this.
  18. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Rather than a traditional seeding I'm working on breaking the tourney down by type. Seeding 128 entrants would be impossible anyway.

So far I've been able to group into some Sub tourney's.

Funniest SNL alumni
    Funniest Female
    Funniest African American
    Funniest Host
    Funniest Creators
    and more that I'm still trying to break down. There is even a sub-grouped contest between Carlos Mencia, Gallagher, Dane Cook, and Andrew Dice Clay for best of the overrated comics.

19. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This should be great. But I'm wondering why Seth McFarlane would be in it. I'm not aware of anything funny he's done. Just some horrible voice over work and two really crappy cartoons. But I guess I'll have time to voice my Family Guy opinions during the tournament.

Anyway, I think every member of the Howard Stern Show should be involved:

Howard Stern
    Artie Lange
    Fred Norris (stellar sound effects work)
    Robin Quivers
    Sal Governale
    Richard Christy
    Bengie (sp?) Bronk (sp?)

20. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Seth McFarlane's not hilarious, but Robin Quivers? You're kidding, right?

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Nope. Robin Quivers is an essential part of a hilarious comedy team known as the Stern show. Seth Mcfarlane has never really made me laugh once and his voice over work is awful. Just my opinion though.

22. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Howard is definitely in. Seth McFarlane too. Though Seth is seeded in round one against Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  23. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I find Family Guy to be pretty darn funny, and he is the creative force behind the show. He would never make it to the list for voice over performance. Comedy is subjective no doubt about that.

Robin Quivers is an essential part of a comedy show, but she isn't funny on her own. She is the straight man on that show. You'd have a better argument for her being in the sidekick tourney than in a contest about comedy. IMHO.

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Great match up! I'm sure it will be the source of a heated debate. IMO, the South Park episode ripping on Family Guy will be the deciding factor.

25. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I can see Robin being left out if the person has to be funny on their own to be included. Since Artie is also a professional comedian is he in?

26. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    That is my hope. I've tried to make the round 1 match-ups as interesting as possible.

27. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Artie is not in, even though I find him personally funnier than some of the contestants who did make the cut. It's a balance between people I find funny, and those who are just popular enough that I can't deny them a spot.

28. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If I were an admin your *** would be so banned!... sadly I am not so you may continue :sad:

DonShula84 likes this.
  29. xDOLPHINSx

xDOLPHINSx Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Minnesota
    two obvious ones...Dave Chappelle and Larry David. 99% sure you have them, but theres still a 1% chance I want to rid of. :up: Also, Lisa Lampenelli usually cracks me up during the comedy central roasts, she should be included based on how offensive she is. :lol:

As for the overrated category, i think its hilarious but isnt it kind of a waste of time...i mean unless someone ACTUALLY thinks Carlos Mencia is funny... :shifty:

30. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    So, there you have it. Seth McFarlane in the Overrated category!

I think he's funny, but agree it doesn't take as much skill to write an episode when a good percentage of the laughs can be pulled from a flashback reservoir.

31. Samphin

Considering that Artie is one of the highest paid comedians in the country and brings the funny for five hours a day four days a week, I think he deserves to be in.

Wait, why do I care? I don't even like these tournaments. :lol:

MonstBlitz likes this.
  32. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Here's a real obscure one. Anybody remember Jake Johannsen? He was relatively popular in the 90's, and I found him quite funny. He struck me in terms of stand-up style as a male Ellen Degeneres.

Back to the present, I hope you have a spot for Demetri Martin. That guy cracks me up.

33. Samphin

Kind of an oxymoron is it not?

And with that, Samphin secures his spot in the tourney...

34. His'nBeatYour'n

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Demitri Martin, Kevin James, and Artie Lang all seem to be getting a lot of love here, and I find them all to be funny myself.

I've got Robert Klein, Richard Lewis, and Bill Maher in my list even though I don't find them to be very funny myself. But they earned a spot for working in comedy so long and maintaining a relatively high profile.

I'll bump them for the above comics unless I hear any strong objections.

35. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I'm sorry ... I just don't find Artie that funny.

36. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    One other person to consider in the "Funny Behind the Funny" realm is Mike Judge. I consider him very funny and very talented.

37. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

that was chief Dan George i believe. he was also in Little Big Man. dead straight funny human. :yes:

38. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Dane Cook isnt worthy of winning anything.
    So I'll vote for Mencia

Are Lewis Black, Richard Pryor, Robin Williams, John Stewart and Stephen Colbert in this?

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  39. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

MonstBlitz likes this.
  40. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Did you just put Lewis Black's name in the same sentence as Richard Pryor?

unluckyluciano likes this.