1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No doubt Dolphins going after Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bbqpitlover, Apr 15, 2012.

1. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    I'm not saying this is what the Dolphins will do in the 1st round, but is an interesting video from yahoo sports.
    [video]http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/Y_Sports_NFL/28937752[/video]

the 23rd likes this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Part of me hopes they are wrong. I trust Coles propensity to talk out of his arse.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it is what it is
    the great probability of ...
    Ryan Tannehill @ 8:dolphin:

4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, if Cole says they're definitely getting him... then they probably aren't. Unfortunately.

5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think drafting Tannehill with the eight pick in the draft or possibly even trading up to draft Tannehill will prove to be one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the Dolphins organization. Tannehill is a decent athlete and he seems to be a nice guy. I just don't see him coming into the NFL and becoming anything but a journeyman QB who will end up playing for 3-4 teams in his career and spend most of this time as a backup QB.

My opinion is that if Ireland, Philbin, and Sherman are willing to risk their jobs on Tannehill, they should all be prepared to look for new jobs in a few years. If Barkley and Jones had decided to enter the NFL draft instead of returning to college this year, I doubt if Tannehill would have even being though of as a first round or even early second round selection. He only moved up in the draft because QB's who are better than he is decided to stay in college for one more year.

I will be happy if the Dolphins draft a top offensive or defensive lineman, LB, WR, or safety with their first pick in the draft. I will not be happy if the selection is Tannehill.

6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    The upside is that by whiffing on Tannehill, it gives us a better shot to sink to the depths to find our pearl in upcoming drafts...

Phyl likes this.
  7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The part I found interesting was where he said the Dolphins have been on Tannehill since October and that the Sherman/Tannehill connection was a part of the Philbin decision. I had heard that the Dolphins were high on Tannehill back in October as well. That's why I don't buy the characterization that Tannehill has risen up the boards. I believe the Dolphins had him as a first round consideration months ago. My guess is that they had Luck and Barkley close at the top, followed by RG3 and Tannehill close as the next tier behind them.

UCF FINatic and Pandarilla like this.
  8. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    This. There is almost no downside to drafting him. If he sucks, the amount of money invested in him is miniscule, we'll be really bad (likely) and we'll be really high in the draft and be able to snag a truly elite QB.

CD13 likes this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Story of my Dolphan life.

Pandarilla likes this.
  10. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Why? What specifically in his game do you not like. How much of him have you watched, and is there specific instances where you can point to issues that make you feel he isn't going to be good? I've heard a lot of people make comments like this, but I haven't heard anyone really break his game down and point out flaws that lead you to believe he's not going to be a good player.

11. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I watched him play three complete games last season. I saw him stare down his primary receiver and he didn't seem capable of scanning the field while in the pocket. I also didn't think that he looked very impressive on the few deep throws he attempted in these games. Texas A&M basically played only three teams with decent defenses last season and Tannehill threw three interceptions in each of these games.

What concerns me the most is that his team wasn't very successful with Tannehill as the starting QB. The history of high first round QB picks is that they came from teams in college which had a great deal of success with this QB running the team. A&M was a mediocre team in their conference and it doesn't appear to me that Tannehill has that ability to take his team to that next level.

Of course I don't claim to be an expert and I do realize that many of the so called experts are high on Tannehill. That still doesn't change my view of him based on the games I watched him play and especially in the games he played against the better defenses in his conference. My view is that if Tannehill had played in a conference like the SEC, where they have a lot of superior defenses, he would not have been rated better than a third or fourth round selection.

The Big 12 conference was basically weak from a defensive perspective and I feel that these weak defenses are the main reason this conference had so many QB's who put up such outstanding passing statistics in 2011. The reality is that Tannehill was only the sixth rated QB statistically in the conference in 2011 and I just don't see how this somehow translates into him being a top ten pick in the NFL draft.

I can only go on what I observed in the three games I saw him play last season and I just didn't come away impressed by his overall play in any of these games.

Steve-Mo and Pandarilla like this.
  12. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    It's like you've paraphrased my gut reaction...

13. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I appreciate you backing your up with an actual break-down. I have asked people critical of Tannehill to do this and you are the first to actually do it.

I think stats can be very overrated, and certainly Tannehill's were hurt by a excessive number of drops by his WRs. His stats were still very good though. As far as his team being mediocre, I'm not sure you can pin that solely on a QB. The team around him wasn't very good and yet they took some very good teams down to the wire and beat a very good Baylor team by a large margin. Drew Brees had a similar record his senior year at Purdue. Eli Manning, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Matt Shaub, and Matthew Stafford all were on pretty mediocre teams in college.

I don't agree about scanning the field. I think he did this more than most QB prospects that come out. The deep ball accuracy is a question mark, but I believe that's something that can be improved upon, and in this offense that the Dolphins will run, you're going to see mostly short to intermediate passes.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  14. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Drew Brees was a feckin' savvy magician in college...

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/03/12/why-ryan-tannehill-is-a-first-round-prospect/

Here's an article that provides some visual evidence of Tannehill scanning the field along with considerably more detail. I didn't know how to copy and paste the pics, but if you go to the site, you can see them there.

Timing

On 3rd and 11 with 7:37 in the first quarter, Tannehill hits his WR Jeff Fuller for 12-yard gain from a 2×2 receiver, 11-personnel shotgun set. Here is the look before the snap.

Fuller is the near side WR to the outside and he runs a 12-yard out against a defense with two-down linemen and what appears to be three linebackers and six defensive backs.

Tannehill drops from the shotgun, looks to the right (strong) side, and then scans back to the left.

Tannehill looks off the coverage to give his deep out a fighting chance to work against single coverage without help over top.

The A&M quarterback finds his receiver for a 12-yard completion with a throw from the far hash to the near flat about a yard from the sideline.

Tannehill has a clean pocket, but compared to that of Michigan State's Kirk Cousins or even Robert Griffin III, Tannehill's mechanics are better than than those players in clean pockets.

Tannehill hits the WR on the out with the ball placed over the WR’s inside shoulder just past the trailing CB. Note the timing of this pass in the picture below.

The ball has already left Tannehill's hand just as his receiver Fuller begins is break. This is good timing.

Tannehill frequently delivers the ball with a three-quarter delivery. However his elbow is at or above shoulder level during his release which allows him to generate good velocity. Bernie Kosar, Rich Gannon, and Philip Rivers all threw the ball with a consistently lower delivery point than Tannehill and all three had the elbow at shoulder level. The release is a non-issue.

Bofin, CaribPhin, MAFishFan and 4 others like this.
  16. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Agreed. That furthers the point that a great QB can be on a team with mediocre success.

17. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    What I find interesting is that each time I am asked to respond why I don't view Tannehill as a first round selection, I have given my reasons and observations. The fact is that I actually watched Tannehill play in games this past season. Unlike some on here who only seem to like Tannehill because the so called, "experts", are high on him. I certainly understand that I could be completely wrong in my assessment of Tannehill as a future NFL QB, but all I have to do is go on line and check the, "experts", ratings of college QB's prior to the NFL drafts over the last decade to understand that these "experts", are completely wrong in their assessment of first round QB's as often as they have been correct.

Perhaps if I had not actually watched Tannehill play last year, I would be just as eager to buy into the Tannehill hype which some on here appear to be doing. Fortunately though I did take the time to sit down and watch him play QB for Texas A&M last year. I understand that Sherman and Philbin know a lot more about Tannehill than I do, after watching him play only three games last season. If these coaches are sold on Tannehill and they want to risk their jobs in the belief that Tannehill will be a productive QB at the NFL level, I certainly feel they are entitled to make this decision.

Since it appears that Tannehill is likely headed to the Dolphins in the first round, I wish I thought more positively about him coming here as the teams QB of the future. I will root for him to be a success if he is the Dolphins QB. Yet based on what I saw from him last season in the three games I watched him play, I have to admit, I just don't get it.

Pandarilla likes this.
  18. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I also think they will take him although I am not as confident in him as they are.I hope he is able to be worthy of such a high draft pick if that's what they want.I think they should take that DE from North Carolina.

19. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Lets not get overly dramatic about the situation. If the Dolphins draft Tannehill they are in the same position they are at the beginning of the year with Matt Moore and David Garrard as the QBs. It's not the biggest mistake ever and with the new slotting of salaries is certainly not a mistake you can't rebound from. Not to mention, it really doesn't matter what you think of him. If Joe and Sherman feel that Tannehill's deficiencies are coachable then I say go for it. We aren't going to get Barkley or Jones next year unless we suck royally and we aren't going to magically sign Drew Brees. We've seen how our pursuit of big names has gone thus far. At some point in time you gotta roll the dice. I think its a reasonable risk. It's not like we are trying to draft Brock Osweiler with the 8.

MAFishFan likes this.
  20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Lol, don't draft Tanny because he's not better than Barkley. So according to you, when exactly can we draft a QB if we have to keep waiting and waiting and waiting?

You do understand that if we draft Tanny we can still draft a QB next year right? First round picks don't cripple a franchise anymore.

MAFishFan likes this.
  21. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Shhhh, no talking while the sky is falling!

Fin D likes this.
  22. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    All those QB's made their mediocre teams into top twenty teams; except maybe Freeman and Georgia is certainly not a mediocre team by any stretch.

My original point was don't you dare compare Brees in College to Tannehill...no way, no how

23. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I like how Cole has painted this into being 'Tannehill or riots' for the fans.

If we don't draft a QB at 8, I'm sure a lot of people will scream. But they will not represent the entirety of the fanbase. Not by a longshot.

sws84, MikeHoncho, Pandarilla and 2 others like this.
  24. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    This situation is so much like the Flynn one that I am confident the right thing will be done. IF the coaches feel he can play at this level, it will get done. IF they dont, it wont. All of the pros and cons on here wont sway me one way or another because of the way this is working out. HC in college will have a great perspective on his college QB. A lot less of a chance of failure here, with Tannehill, IMO. If we get him GREAT, if we dont, GREAT.

Ludacris, sports24/7 and jw3102 like this.
  25. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Of the QB's you listed above as only playing on mediocre teams in college, I beg to differ. First of all I will take Freeman and Schab out of the discussion because they really haven't done anything yet to be considered the franchise type QB many on here feel Tannehill can be and which also is the reason why these same individuals want the Dolphins to draft him so high in the draft.

Matthew Stafford played at Georgia for three seasons and the Bulldogs were 30-9 over this period while he was the starting QB. Perhaps you consider this a mediocre record for a SEC team over this period of time but I certainly don't.

Eli Manning played for Mississippi which was considered one of the worst teams in the SEC, as well as the nation prior to his arrival. In his final season at Mississippi, his team went 10-3 and won the Cotton Bowl. After his departure from Mississipi the program once again slumped for a few years with a new QB at the position.

Matt Ryan arrived at Boston College which had been on the decline since the Flute years. Under his leadership BC went 25-7 in his 32 starts at QB. In 2007, his last season at BC, Ryan led his team to 11 victories. This was the first time since 1940 BC had won ten games in a season.

Drew Brees went to Purdue, which has not been a football hotbed for decades. Yet in his final season as Purdue's QB in 2001, he led his team to a 9-3 record and their first Rose Bowl appearance since 1967.

I think if you would take the time to look at how each of these college teams did while this four QB's were leading their teams, you will quickly realize that none of these teams were mediocre while these outstanding QB's were leading their teams. All of these QB's were able to lead their teams to records which they had not accomplished in decades and everyone of these teams have had trouble regaining these standards of play since these QB's left their programs.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think it is time to question Cole's motivations at this point. I know every fan of every team thinks there's at least one member of the media that has it out for his team...but come the hell on already. From HighFivegate to the coaching search to the bm trade to this it is patently obvious he has it out for this FO.

27. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Personally, I will scream to the hills if we don't draft a QB at 8. That's not to say it'll be 100% appropriate, but I'm going to do it. I'll repent if we then draft Weeden, either through a trade down or trade up. But at the moment, I will scream the scream of The Exorcist.

MAFishFan likes this.
  28. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I wonder what this board and other Dolphin fan sites are going to do when we ultimately pass on Tannehill at 8.

A Developmental QB at 8 would be a waste. If we don't trade down we better draft someone that can contribute day 1.

29. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Obviously I understand that if they draft Tannehill, the Dolphins can draft another QB next year. My point is that I don't think Tannehill is a first round talent and I would rather see the Dolphins spend the 8th pick in the first round on a player who can actually come in and play immediately. Not on a player who may or may not pan out over the next few years. I don't see Tannehill being any better than any of the other second tier QB's in this draft and the Dolphins can always use one of their third round selections to draft a QB who will be doing nothing but sitting on the bench and learn the system as their third string QB in 2012.

You obviously buy the hype and want the Dolphins to select Tannehill in the first round, I don't. You may be right but you may not be. We will know in less than two weeks if the Dolphins select the player you want in the first round. If it is Tannehill, I will certainly root for him to be a success. I just happen to not be that high on him right now. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just as I am.

30. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Tannehill took a bad team and made them above average. What's the difference? He did it in the second toughest conference in college football this year.

Let's take a look at how Georgia did in Stafford's senior year: 10-3. Lost to 2 teams they were supposed to and one they shouldn't have.

As far as comparing him to Brees, Drew played on a mediocre team at Purdue. He then went on to be a fantastic QB. The point being made by the original post was that great QBs make their teams great in college. Drew's team wasn't great in college. Not sure what you can question about that.

But if we were comparing the two in in their senior year, which one is who here? (I'll give you a hint, Tannehill is the one with more yards and TDs)

QB1: 60.4 comp %, 3668 yards, 26 TDs, 12 INTs

QB2: 61.6 comp %, 3744 yards, 29 TDs, 15 INTs

Maybe it's not so crazy to compare the two.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  31. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Why? You would rather take a guy with a more immediate impact that won't be as good a player long term rather than a guy who might be an elite QB for the next decade? This line of thinking doesn't make sense to me. If you don't like Tannehill that's one thing, but this team isn't anywhere near being a SB contender. Shouldn't the goal be to fill the most important position in sports for the long term?

Ohio Fanatic and the 23rd like this.
  32. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    These guys elevated the play of their teams, but I would argue Tannehill did the same. There's no way Texas A&M blows out that Baylor team with just any other QB starting. At the end of the day none of those teams were great though.

And in 2001 Purdue went 6-6 and went to the Sun Bowl (where they lost to Washington State).

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I have no idea if he'll succeed or he won't. Neither do you. I do know we'll never get a franchise QB if we don't draft one. All other positions are pointless until that happens.

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    to the many posters & fellow dolfans:

after much to do about nothing
    there is left only opinions based on a few games watched
    or highlights from YouTube, the pundits, the stats
    & the fact that we really need to step up to the plate
    & take a calculated risk @ acquiring a Franchise QB
    Tannehill @ 8 is an obligation for this organization
    his pick will be a tacit commitment to winning
    a chance to breathe life & hope into Dolfandom.
    2012 must be the year of the Franchise QB

everybody knows the draft is a crap shoot & you can't win if you don't roll the dice. let's just do it!
    this year will not be about Tannehill taking us to the SuperBowl, 2012 is all about coaching.
    Ryan Tannehill will provide the hope of eventually getting a legitimate shot at the SuperBowl.
    Tannehill @ 8:dolphin:

35. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Perhaps if you will read my comments on the four QB's above, you will realize that these QB's were all able to lead their teams to records which were far better than they had been prior to them arriving on the scene. Manning and Brees took over teams which were bottom tier teams in the nation prior to their arrival and both of them led their teams to records and Bowl games they had not been to in years.

Obviously Georgia has a tradition of playing outstanding football but their record for the three years since his departure from the program certainly shows his overall importance to the play of the team during his tenure as the Bulldogs QB. As I stated earlier, 30-9 over three years while playing in the SEC is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Boston College has consistently declined in their won-lost record since Ryan departed for the NFL.

36. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    If you take a look at post 32 I addressed this.

37. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Maybe you're right, I'm not a big college guy anymore...I'm basically basing it on one bowl game I saw on TV in college and I was like wow, that is a savvy QB, it might have been his freshman/sophomore year.

Stats, shmatz, comparing college stats is pretty meaningless unless it's a pro-style offense and dude's hittin' @70%.

38. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree with you 100% that the Dolphins need a franchise QB if they want to start contending for the playoffs once again. Where you and I disagree is in regards to whether or not Tannehill can be this franchise QB. Since I don't feel he will be, I prefer that the Dolphins take a player in the first round who can come in and play from day one. You obviously are willing to accept the Dolphins drafting Tannehill with a top 10 pick, hoping that Tannehill is the QB we have all been waiting for since Marino retired.

I am smart enough to understand that there is a very good chance the Dolphins will do exactly what you want and draft Tannehill with the 8th pick. I will accept this if that is what they decide to do and hope that Philbin and Sherman are right in their assessment of his chances going forward to be a quality QB in the NFL.

I just won't be upset if they decide to go in another direction and decide to take a QB later in the draft or wait and see if they can trade up for Barkley next year. To me RG3 and Luck are the only QB's I feel are franchise caliber in this draft. I feel the Dolphins have needs at every area on the team, with the QB position being their biggest need. I just don't think you draft a QB in the top ten unless you are totally convinced he can be your long term starter for the future. Perhaps Philbin and Ireland feels this way about Tannehill. We shall see in 11 days and a few hours.

39. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I pretty much agree...At least they're all in

40. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    forgive another repeat but the post deserves consideration before going off on another negative 2012 bender.